Houzz Logo Print
webuser_755301021

Looking for advice on wall panelling colour

Having painted the wall in a colour I liked, we have then got a new sofa and it really does not work with the panlling colour. Does anyone have any suggestions on what colour to use please?

Comentarios (18)

• Sonia
    hace 4 años

As the main furniture is brown, gold and cream, how about a nice taupe shade? Something like Farrow & Ball Elephants Breath or Skimming Stone which I think will tie in nicely. Purbeck stone is darker but so lovely. Here’s a couple of pics.

Skimming Stone

Elephants Breath

Purbeck Stone

• arc3d
    hace 4 años

I agree with both Sonia and Ellie.

1. The colour doesn't cover enough area to create any drama.

2. All your furniture/decor is on the brown to cream colour scale but just one small section of wall is blue/grey.

So the solution is either pick a colour that compliments your decor or make the blue/grey part of the decor by covering more area with it.

• PRO
    User
    hace 4 años

I don't have a problem with the blue & brown. You don't want to be too matchy matchy. What I would do is include some different coloured cushions onto the sofa. Some cushions with a bit of blue to pick up on the wall, then go for some small accents of colour with the remaining cushions.

• Juliet Docherty
    hace 4 años

I don't think the colour goes to be honest , it looks very blue and a bit disjointed. I would be tempted to paint it the same colour as the wall (what is the wall colour?) or slightly deeper, but similar. If you put trailing plants on the sill it would draw the eye down to balance the window shape.

• PRO
    North Leeds Garden Design
    hace 4 años

HI there the blue/grey behind the sofa is a lovely shade, as Cactus Design say, try some cushions the same colour. I'm afraid to say to my mind there are just two many colours and patterns going on in this photo. The sofa alone has four different colours/patterns going on. Not everything needs to 'match' but it's not calming to have too much going on. The floor lamp is great but the wall light looks completely different in terms of style. In the short term I'd re-cover all the cushions on the sofa to either the same as the base cushions and/or a blue/grey to match the wall. Good luck!

• PRO
    Shahina Mulla
    hace 4 años

Hi there, like it's mentioned above the blue/grey is a really good shade, I just find that it has a prominent grey undertone that doesn't compliment the warm earthy colour palette that you have going on.
    I would suggest painting the panelling wall a earthy shade of green, something along the lines of sage green. It'll help freshen up the room and if you replace a few of the cushions with green coloured ones it'll help tie everything together. For more bursts of green, try incorporating plants and small decorative accessories into your space. Hope this helps!

• Usuario de Houzz-755301021
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Hi everyone- some really useful comments thanks! So the sofa came with the cushions as a set.....apparently thats the perfect colour combination as I wasnt even able to change one colour of the cushions. So Im a bit reluctant to start changing them just now due to how much they cost.

I a will start with repainiting to a earthy colour, maybe green tone and then re-asses. I will post some more photos once done. Thank you for all the help :-)

• Sonia
    hace 4 años

I have sage green walls and one armchair is brown leather and I think it looks nice. The wall colour is Farrow & Balls Cromarty.

• minnie101
    hace 4 años

I think an earthy colour with a green tone would work well. You can see the colour I used came out somewhat darker than shown, Crowns darker shade is "expectation " which may work. I don't know whether it would also be worth looking at Farrow and ball mouse's back or the lighter "light grey". I also like colourhappy's suggestion for trailing plants. I think as eyes are drawn to light, the plants would "point" it's way to the panelling so to speak? Apologies, I can't photoshop so the only plants I could photoshop look like swamp monsters 😂 I think the cushions work well too.

Usuario de Houzz-755301021 agradeció a minnie101
  • Usuario de Houzz-755301021
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thanks Minnie101 that looks great- I really like the colour! Also I actually have used F&B light grey else where in the house so im sure I have some left over that I could try

• Juliet Docherty
    hace 4 años

I think the Light Grey looks good, I have used it a lot especially with brown, it makes the brown look a bit purplish. Mouses Back is a bit browner so could work too. Good shout minnie101 ( :

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    hace 4 años

I would pick color from your accent pillows or sofa from golden to taupe.

Some options

• PRO
  • PRO
  • PRO
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

If you want to go with gray, then get gray with pink-red undertones. Here i tried Ash Grape by Dulux.

• PRO
    Amberth
    hace 4 años

I would go for the same colour as the walls. You have enough contrast in the room already, I wouldn't introduce it on the wall. Also if it is different colour it makes the ceiling look low. To add interest you can hang some art or photos there.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.