Houzz Logo Print
webuser_348488085

Help with Curb Appeal

hace 4 años
última modificación:hace 4 años

Hi, I need help increasing the curb appeal of my house. Looking for any and all suggestions.

Comentarios (23)

• hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

Not sure why the picture quality looks so poor in my post

• hace 4 años

I agree that the biggest issue is the lack of landscaping. You need low shrubs along the house on the right side of the door which will also cover water that dark gray thing is (patio?) I would also double the width of your steps and landing by the door, and add a handrail for safety. After that, I would change all the white trim and garage door to a deeper color.

Kat Cooper agradeció a calidesign
  • hace 4 años

i posted another picture. The steps are against a wall on the left side so I wouldn’t be able to expand on both sides. Would you still recommend expanding if it would just be on the right side? I agree the siding and the brick do not mesh well, but I’m not anticipating needing to replace the siding for several years. I also thought the shutters seemed off, but can place my finger on it. What color would you all recommend for the siding when it needs to be replaced?

• hace 4 años

what would you all recommend for a new front door? I really am not a fan of the current storm door.

• hace 4 años

Yes, I would remove the gray decking to expand the width of the steps and landing on the right side. That gives people a place to stand when you open your storm door. I would also remove the rest of the decking along the house and replace it with shrubs. The deck doesn't serve any purpose in that location, and looks very out pf place to me. I would paint your trim (including the garage door and front door) a darker version of your current siding color. Also remove the hanging wood sign with your house numbers and mount the black sign with the house numbers just above the mailbox.

• hace 4 años

Yeah front patio makes no sense to me either. We just bought the place. It would also be nice to have the steps expanded so we can actually walk to our mailbox one the patio is gone. How would you feel about planters under the two second story windows?

• PRO
    hace 4 años

Kat, for the landscape I would call in a landscape designer. they could do wonders w/that yard. I know it won't be cheap, but it will be affordable depending upon how extreme you want to go. But trying to tackle that as a DIY isn't going to get you what you want, mainly because of raised yard space. I agree a path to the door would be needed.

just to give you an idea of that, I did a path on a house that we renovated.

and a few years later we went to a xeriscape yard. (we rent out this home)

I think if you went the same route, it would really change the look of the house. However, those current paint colors are not working! The greenish siding w/the yellow/orange brick? nope.

are you up for painting (and by painting I mean using a product meant for bricks like Romabio) the brick? At least you'd be able to save the siding color.

some similar split-levels

yes your door needs to go, but figure out the color palette first. look at pictures of split levels to get ideas

• hace 4 años

You have siding, brick and wall that do not coordinate. Siding can be painted so that's something to consider. Remove the shutters. They are wrong for these windows. Paint the garage door to blend I with the brick. Remove the black storm door. Andersen makes a full view storm door. I have one and it is great. Remove the dangling number from the mailbox. Is that "patio" thing wood? I would not go to the expense of widening the steps. Move the mailbox down by the garage door or to the left of the door. Is that a meter near the garage?

Window boxes are great but a lot of work and parts of the year there is nothing in them depending on the climate. I have window boxes that I try to keep full seasonally: spring pansies, summer begonias, fall mums/cabbages, winter greens. Costa a lot

• PRO
    hace 4 años

IMO that siding color doesn't work with your brick color so I would paint that and stain the retention wall the same color.

I

• PRO
    hace 4 años

not all siding can be painted guys. Kat, is it a vinyl or a metal or composite siding? If you can paint it, I'd start there.

I used my last pic in my comment above, to photoshop onto yours. see how changing the siding color helps to coordinate a bit better? your shutters are too small on those uppers. if you change out your windows, do away w/the shutters. I gave you a new front door too

If you can't paint the siding, do the bricks. change the door, change or paint the garage door, and hire a landscape pro. that will be the biggest bang for your buck.

Kat Cooper agradeció a Beth H. :
  • hace 4 años

Yep, that is unfortunately an unsightly meter by the garage. I’m not sure what to do about it. I believe the patio is actually cement, but not part of the original foundation. I could be wrong though. We have rent back as part of our contract agreement and aren’t actually moving in until May. I’m definitely open to painting the brick. I like the look of the picture of the tri-level home with the grey brick and the bluish siding. I’m not really interested in painting the vinyl. I’ve read that it’s more up than its worth and I plan on living here for at least ten years.

• hace 4 años

Yeah that tan siding looks much nicer. Thank you so much. Whenever we need to replace the siding I think that’s what we will aim for color wise.

• PRO
    hace 4 años

What is the siding material? If it is aluminum or vinyl, the colour may not be able to get darker than it is. That said, that leaves a lot of potential for colours that would work with your brick. I would certainly try to find a combination your like (the bottom photo in Beth H's post shows potential) before committing to a life-time of upkeep if you paint your brick.

Check out colours like BM HC-43 Tyler Taupe and HC-44 Lenox tan which if you want to neutralize the peachy tones of your brick a bit. BM HC-95 Sag Harbour Gray and HC-108 Sandy Hook Gray would also be colours to consider to enhance the colour of your brick while also playing well with your roof colour. Whatever colour you choose for the siding, I would also try it on the garage door to help unify the two storeys. To my eye, the white trim is too stark to ever look right with your brick as it is drawing way too much attention to iself on a house that is not about trim detail. Take a cue from the colour of your concrete steps. Something creamy/sandy coloured like BM HC-27Monteray White would be a good choice.

And of course, landscaping. A landscaping pro represents very good value for the dollar and if you get it right the first time, it will last a lifetime.

Good luck with your project!

Kat Cooper agradeció a Elizabeth Minish Design
  • PRO
    hace 4 años

Elizabeth. "before committing to a life-time of upkeep if you paint your brick."

I didn't say to Paint the brick using paint. Research Romabio.

https://romabio.com/masonry/

It has a 20 year warranty. show me a paint that has that.

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

ROMABIO® Masonry Flat is a high-performing, mineral masonry paint made for extreme durability for the interior or exterior. A beautiful, permanent flat finish that is naturally mold resistant, toxin-free, and environmentally friendly. Mineral paints are breathable and calcify to the masonry surface allowing moisture to release creating a longer lasting finish with low maintenance.

. You can have it tinted to any color you like.

It's minimal upkeep compared to painting siding or regular house painting. Besides, the trim around the roof, eaves, doors/windows, will all need to be kept up more often than using romabio on the bricks. (just sayin'.)

• hace 4 años

In addition to the already awesome ideas presented (different front door, blending garage door with brick, removing shutters, landscaping, pathway from sidewalk/curb to front door), I would also add visual support to the oriel windows. Something a little thicker than the thickness of your trim (simple wood brackets/corbels), 2 or 3 per window, *or* graduated trim pieces to transition from the house to the window.

• PRO
    hace 4 años

Beth H: It's minimal upkeep compared to painting siding or regular house painting. Besides, the trim around the roof, eaves, doors/windows, will all need to be kept up more often than using romabio on the bricks. (just sayin'.)

ROMABIO® Masonry Flat may well have a 20 year warranty. Definitely the other painted areas will need upkeep. My point was and is, why add the brick to the list of surfaces that need to be maintained (however infrequently) if there are other solutions?

That brick looks to be at least 50 years old judging by the style of the house and has not needed any upkeep up to now. If this property owner had said they absolutely hated the brick, then I'd get right on board helping them figure out how best to do that. I'm always looking for the least amount of expense for the maximum effect. : )

• PRO
    hace 4 años

yes, I get that. She asked for an update and for me personally, painting the brick AND the siding, along w/landscaping, will do that. I don't like the brick, at all. But if OP does, then she can do other things. Although, she did say she was open to painting the brick so I'm assuming she's not in love with it.

I just give options. Painting the brick will give the most impact (along w/landscaping). I don't think touching it up every 20 years is a big deal! I've painted my house (exterior) 4 times in 35 years. every 20 years for the brick is nothing.

Kat, here are some other options. I really like this first one and the very last one:

the one above, this one, and the one below show you walkway/landscape options.

this one is a complete modern makeover. the horizontal slat wood siding and dark windows would look great

if you have the money, I'd do this one to yours:

• PRO
    hace 4 años

Submitting a color (for paint ... not replacement.)

• hace 4 años

The first thing I suggest is painting the siding a rich, deep color! With the color of brick, you can go pretty bold in color and that will help your house immensely. I also suggest consulting a landscaping professional (I did and it helped my curb appeal). Here are some colors and ideas from Houzz:

Kirkland Residence · Más información

I love navy blue and beige! A deep, forest green would also be gorgeous.

Silverstein Floor Plan - Farmhouse · Más información

• PRO
    hace 4 años

Definitely work with a local landscape architect or designer to update the softscapes and hardscapes. The 2nd story overhang should be hidden with a garage awning.

• PRO
    hace 4 años

Very charming home. Get some color and build up the front garden beds, paint the front door.

• hace 4 años

My first step would be to remove those push out windows and install simple picture windows...then replace siding for natural wood and remove the “deck”....stay true to the style of the home...

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.