Houzz Logo Print
rachrobinson87

Help with bringing an open plan room together

rachrobinson87
hace 4 años

We have now been living with our open plan room for 6 months and need help with colour and style. we are happy with the kitchen and the wall colour there however the tv area needs some colour, I feel it could take a bold colour but unsure what. Also we need a sofa, possibly an L shape, we need an idea for configuration and even any opinion on different layouts. I know we need a rug but can't decide until we decide on main colour. We also need new stools but can't decide on style/ colour. We had curtains made and they are completely wrong, they are too plain, too bulky and an expensive mistake. This is why we need help. Please help us bring this room together.

Comentarios (13)

• Ellie
    hace 4 años

Just want to say your curtains are lovely and definitely not an expensive mistake. You mentioned them being bulky, its not as if they are taking up floor space that could be used for something else?

• tamp75
    hace 4 años

I also really like the curtains. However, I think they could be hung better which should make them less bulky. Tbh, it looks like the style of them would work better on a curtain track than the rail you have. Overall, I think it looks like a lovely, warm room but do think a darker colour on a wall could work well.

• Ellie
    hace 4 años

I'd do the TV wall dark, to allow the TV/dark radiator to blend in better.

• rachrobinson87
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thanks for your replies. I agree the curtains don't hang well on the pole (we were trying the industrial look but it just doesn't work with these curtains). It will certainly be cheaper to replace the track rather than the curtains.

Any ideas for what colour we could paint the wall, I would like a dark blue or teal but I do not want the room to feel cold as it is north facing.

• tamp75
    hace 4 años

I don’t think it would look cold as you have a lovely wooden floor & the brick wall which both provide warmth. A deep blue like F & B stiffkey blue or inchyra blue for a teal would look good (or colour matched to similar).

• Juliet Docherty
    hace 4 años

It's an amazing space. What is the cabinet colour and wall colour?

• rachrobinson87
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thank you colourhappy. We are really pleased how the space has turned out. It is amazing what knocking a few walls down can do to a space. It has transformed a drab north facing room into a lovely light space.

The cabinets are pumice, the island is clay. The walls in the kitchen area are wimborne white and I can't remember the name of the colour in the tv area, although it is almost identical to the pumice.

We just want to add add a bit of colour now we have lived with it for a while.

• Sonia
    hace 4 años

Beautiful kitchen, and I too love the curtains. Are they Laura Ashley? I think there aren’t enough rings on the pole and that’s why the curtains are dipping a bit. You can buy extra curtain rings which will make a huge difference. I also thing a tie back hook on each curtain will tidy things up a bit If there is space.

That wall is crying out for a nice bold colour on it and I think Inchyra Blue will do the trick. It is such a lovely teal-green-blue and will bring in another element to the room. I also like De Nimes. I also think a chocolate hue on the wall will tie in nicely with the taupe of your units, but may be a bit dark! A nice neutral rug in taupe or grey would finish the look.

F&B BURGUNDY

INCHYRA BLUE

DE NIMES

• rachrobinson87
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thanks. I feel reassured now with the curtain choice. They are Laura Ashley, we had to have them made because of the size and they were just bulkier than I expected. I have got tie backs to put on but hadn't got round to putting them on.

I am going to go with the Inchyra blue, I like the teal in it.

Just need to decide on the sofa, we can't decide on two sofas or a corner sofa, leather or material? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• tamp75
    hace 4 años

I think leather might suit the touches on industrial theme you have. Can you post a clearer photo of the seating area, maybe from behind the table to show the whole lounge area? Can’t really see the available space from other photos.

• rachrobinson87
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

The tv can be moved to the wall with the window and we could have two sofas opposite (this is my husband's preference). Or a corner sofa instead of chair and sofa, which I would prefer. I just don't want the sofa to dominate the space.

• rachrobinson87
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

I originally thought I would put these sofas in the corner opposite each other, then I changed my mind. I tried the chesterfield chair but felt that was too bulky although I like the style.

I know I have sofa issues, this is why I need help before I purchase anymore!

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.