Houzz Logo Print
peakdog

HELP! New cabinets & quartzite look terrible together!

PeakDog
hace 4 años

You work so hard on this stuff and when it all goes South on you it is truly sickening!

We just had our quartzite installed and now my kitchen looks awful to me! The quartzite never looked this blue (dare I say aqua in some lighting?). The cabinets and stone together - double ick! Whatever was I thinking? I've ruined my kitchen.

I am debating between tearing out the stone, painting the cabinets, gel staining the cabinets to take the red/orange color out of them somehow ( I really wanted stained wood cabinets for the mountains)...or throwing in a match (said jokingly!). The house still needs to be painted and lighting added, among a host of other things, but I am hesitant to continue moving this ball forward until I can make this look like something I can live with. The cost of making this right sickens me.

So, the million dollar question...what would you do?

THIS QUARTZITE IS A CHAMELEON WITH THE LIGHTING...HERE IT IS NOT LOOKING AS BLUE, MY CABINETS LOOK ORANGE....THEY WERE SUPPOSED TO BE A GRAYED BROWN...HMMM

Comentarios (458)

• 805marcy
    hace 2 años

sorry if I'm posting too late -- but I think it looks WONDERFUL! I do realize that it does take some time to get used to the new combination ... but to me, there is every indication of forethought in your counter top / cabinet choices. Bravo! ( I love the quartzite!)

• PRO
    PeakDog
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Never too late to the game for a compliment! Thx! I actually love my kitchen and with the paint and backsplash, etc that came long after my "freak out"  it has all come together into something beautiful and unique!

• felizlady
    hace 2 años

I like the combination…the cabinets match the tan veining in the counter.

• 805marcy
    hace 2 años

We are putting in royal blue azul macaubas in our

kitchen in a couple of months and I.m preparing myself for the freak’out Now. Because I know it will happen

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 2 años

805. wow. that's stunning. can you start your own post w/some pictures? need any help w/anything?

• cwcf185
    hace 2 años

@PeakDog Your kitchen looks stunning!

@805marcy I look forward to your photos. The slab looks beautiful!

• Missi (4b IA)
    hace 2 años

I'm glad someone posted on here - I get notifications and then I can come back and ooo and ahhh over one of my favorite kitchens ever.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    hace 2 años

Me too, that is such a lovely combination of counter and cabinets!

• PRO
    PeakDog
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

I'm blushing!! Thanks for the kudos! I don't even have finished pictures posted but feeling the love anyways, lol!

• Alicia
    hace 2 años

Gorgeous! That counter is so lovely!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 2 años

jeri, where are the finished photos? lets see it

• 805marcy
    hace 2 años

Our project won't start until at least February. Keeping the "footprint" of the kitchen pretty much the same, but new cabs and that quartzite! Hopefully I'll like it as much as this photo. Our kitchen is MUCH smaller ... I do love the countertop!

• jtkaybean
    hace 2 años

Your kitchen takes my breath away, just stunning! I LOVE the countertop with your cabinets.

• Angela
    hace 2 años

Your choices do look great! Consider your lighting. It may be all you need to get what you imagined. Lighting makes or breaks a design. Ask me how I know!

• Kathy Furt
    hace 2 años

Wow white washed maple is back in!? Love that kitchen

• PRO
    PeakDog
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

@Beth H Posting my photos per your suggestion!

A few things to note, especially if you are new to this thread, this was a remodel so I was constrained by the original kitchen a bit (OG pics are posted somewhere along this lloonnnggg thread and really are fun to look at to compare the difference!)

ALSO, I did this myself though I did receive incredible support and comments on this forum which talked me off the ledge of what I initially thought was turning out to be a nightmare. I truly appreciated that! In the end, I stuck to my desires to create the kitchen that works for me which is what you have to do! AND, in the end I LOVE MY KITCHEN!

Lastly, yes...that is a white countertop microwave in the microwave slot....still need to get one that works in that space but appliances are tough to get right now! No judgement please!! ;^D

NOT professional pictures but hope you enjoy the tour!

• PRO
    PeakDog
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

More...

• PRO
    PeakDog
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

More...

• PRO
    PeakDog
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

More...

• 805marcy
    hace 2 años

So truly gorgeous! We have redone our kitchen twice -- the first time, i HATED it! Thought I'd ruined it ... but took a few deep breaths, lived with it for a few weeks, and fell in love ... there does seem to be that second-guessing that always happens. But look at what you have created! You had a vision and it came true. I foresee many happy times, great cooking, and years of happiness on your beautiful space. Congratulations!

I am looking forward to our 3rd (and most likely last!) remodel of our kitchen. And i am mentally preparing myself for that "Oh gosh, what have I done?" feeling. But I can't wait! Cheers!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 2 años
    Última modificación: hace 2 años

Jeri, came out beautiful! love the shot w/the island. that stone is amazing. congrats.

what was the name of that quartzite again? Blue Roma?

• PRO
    PeakDog
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Beth, you'll recall this when I mention it again... Tempest Gold (huh!?!). I will say it differs from Blue Roma a bit

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    hace 2 años

That kitchen looks awesome!!

• cwcf185
    hace 2 años

@PeakDog Your kitchen is stunning - thank you for sharing the photos!

• chinacatpeekin
    hace 2 años

Jeri- it’s beautiful! I can see how much thought and how much work went into this- your choices came together so well. Enjoy your lovely kitchen.

• Kathy Furt
    hace 2 años

Jeri it turned out gorgeous!!!! So glad you listened to us!! LoL. Your hood is amazing!! What material is your sink? And I love that stone wall!! Just beautiful. My daughter flew home from Christmas right into that fire in Lewisville!! That was tragic!!!

• RedRyder
    hace 2 años

Your kitchen looks AMAZING! That hood is fantastic with the stone counters. I didn’t even see the microwave until you pointed it out. I hope you feel proud of yourself - and happy - every morning when you go into your kitchen for coffee. It’s a real knockout. Worth the effort.

• foothills19
    hace 2 años

It's gorgeous!

• PRO
    Elaine Gauthier Art
    hace 2 años

Beautiful!!

• Timi M
    hace 2 años

Unique and beautiful kitchen that isn’t all white. Planning a remodel in the next few years and yours provides inspiration. It’s lovely!

• Cynthia
    hace 2 años

Somewhere up towards the top of this thread I made a comment to the effect of "when this is finished we will all be drooling over this like a Houzz tour"

Many months later I stand by that comment! It looks AMAZING and I'm so glad you followed through with your plan!

• Cecily Grace zone6
    hace 2 años

A truly gorgeous, timelessly beautiful kitchen! Stunning!

• lmuhrich
    hace 2 años

LOVE your kitchen you did such a fabulous job. So nice not to see gray and white. Love the earth and wood tones so much! I may be in the minority here but how about a swap of the barstools. I bet you will be using them more than ever now admiring the useful, beautiful kitchen. Something not wood and metal! Maybe something a bit more comfy that matches the beautiful fireplace?

• Usuario de Houzz-326560860
    hace 2 años

It’s beautiful! Honestly, great choices!

• PRO
    PeakDog
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

@lmuhruch
    Interesting thought on the bar stools. I'm not necessarily sold on the ones I have, they work in the interim.... Not sure what would work but frankly haven't spent a moment looking at something different! I'm funny about fabric stools due to spills and use making them look ick!!

• PRO
    Axius Americas
    hace 2 años

The countertop is going better with the white than wood. It is actually adding life and depth to the space.

• lmuhrich
    hace 2 años

Jeri they work great for your kitchen decor! You did a fantastic job. If I see a pic of what I could envision if it was my kitchen I will send it over, LOVE LOVE LOVE the countertop and wood combo :)

• lmuhrich
    hace 2 años

something simple maybe not so modern your kitchen is classic and contemporary. The stools just look a bit too detailed and traditional to me in that updated kitchen. Just my two cents. Or a round back ?

• PRO
    PeakDog
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Hey everyone.... If interested, check out my new post looking for help with exterior paint colors.... Also looking for advise on garage door and front door styles and color!
    Check out this discussion on Houzz - https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6222491/help-with-exterior-paint-colors

• User
    hace 2 años

WOW kitchen is absolutely beautiful.. love love love the counters and cabinets!!

• dippitydoppitydoo
    el último año

That combination looks amazing. I can see how you moght freak out if you prefer the tone on tone look, but you successfully made a complimentary scheme which actually has tiny bits of matching color within the countertop. It really looks beautiful. I came accross this b/c im in a dilemma for my own countertops and lookign for ideas. love it!

• Wendy H
    el último año

Your kitchen looks absolutely gorgeous! I hope that you are beginning to see the beauty in it… the striations in the stone tie so nicely with your wood cabinets. I’m a big fan of blue myself so that hint of blue in the stone is so appealing to my eyes. I agree with others… so lovely to see an interesting kitchen with so much dimension.

• PRO
    PeakDog
    Autor original
    el último año

2 years later and still getting such lovely feedback! Thank you!

I love my kitchen, it all came together in the end and in my opinion the pictures don't do it the justice it deserves. It has really grown on me and frankly matches my more earthy personality which is absolutely the key.... I didn't follow trends, I followed my likes and desires.

• lindyhopper25
    el último año

I think your kitchen is gorgeous and I like that you picked a counter that is not white like every other kitchen I see now. It is real stone and is beautiful. So glad you love it now!

• Sher H
    el último año

Jeri - your kitchen is gorgeous. I have a similar color combo (natural walnut shaker cabinets with quartzite counters) and have been on a never ending hunt for ”the perfect” backsplash tile. Yours looks perfect with the warmth of your cabinets and coolness of your counters. Would you be so kind as to share the tile information with me? Many Thanks!

• PRO
    PeakDog
    Autor original
    el último año

@Sher H

I am trying to remember what my backsplash is!! I think it was from MSI, color antique white. It's 4 x 12. Sorry I don't have better info. It was a process finding the right one...some were too white or too yellow. Many were too glossy.

• felizlady
    el último año

The counter graining includes a tan which matches your cabinetry…..they look very good together.

• Betty M
    el último año

PeakDog-Kitchen reno looks beautiful. I have skyfall dark quartzite counter and wondered what the wood and color/stain is on your cabinets? Thanks

• PRO
    PeakDog
    Autor original
    el último año

@Betty M

These are RD Henry cabinets. You can look on their website under specialty finishes...this one is called "DUSK" it normally comes with quite a bit of distressing. We opted to not have any distressing added. Clear alder wood.

• Betty M
    el último año

@PeakDog- thanks for the info !

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.