Houzz Logo Print
elizabeth_zaninovich

This tile/waterproofing isn't right, right?

Liz
hace 4 años

So we hired a contractor who promised he could do a zero entry shower (and showed me examples of previous curbless showers they had done). Here are the problems we think we see:

1. They are a week into the work and they have started wall tiling, but there's no shower slope at all. It has kerdi in the shower floor which extends a few inches up the wall and redguard on the wall. They think the waterproofing they've done on the flat shower surface is sufficient. The linear drain is partly recessed into the subfloor, but not nearly enough. Their plan is to use thinset to build up for a slope (he needs at least an inch), and then he claims he will waterproof that. That can't possibly work, right? There's already tile on the wall. Not to mention having an inch of thinset doesn't sound like a good idea.

2)The redguard does not appear to be applied correctly and did not extend the backerboard as far as they should have for the wider shower. So part of the shower area just has old regular drywall from when the house was built 30 years ago.

1. Also, the tile and schluter work in the window area looks terrible (not nearly as concerned about this as the rest of the bathroom).

We told them to stop work. We are pretty sure we are going to fire them and just do a curb because it's obvious curbless can't be accomplished as promised. The contractor has said he will make it right and pay for the tile that has been ruined, but we don't have any confidence in him at this point.

Hoping someone can tell me we aren't crazy here, that this is not right. If anyone has any experience firing contractors and recouping their deposit, that would be nice to hear as well!

Comentarios (26)

• scottie mom
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

Paging @AJCN

I'd fire them for leaving a jobsite that messy, but that's the least of the problems here. Can you take a photo from farther back?

ETA: Do I actually see cats' pawprints in the shower pan? LOL That's first! So sorry you're dealing with this.

• PRO
    Kristin Petro Interiors, Inc.
    hace 4 años

They didn't tape the seams. Don't let them continue.

Edited to add...I hope those paw prints belong to a pet.

• cat_ky
    hace 4 años

Oh wow!!! Not much else to say to that mess.

• Liz
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

a pic from further back. and yeah, apparently our cat got in ha! don't get me started on the mess they left.

• PRO
    Kristin Petro Interiors, Inc.
    hace 4 años

Curbless shower? Don't let these amateurs back in your house. Hire a professional with experience with curbless showers. Be prepared to pay a lot more for this.

• User
    hace 4 años

Yes, you’re going to pay more. And expect to secure your pets next time. You should examine your cat’s feet. The footprints aren’t cute. It’s a caustic material. It can burn their feet. You may need a vet visit.

• Usuario de Houzz-527663426
    hace 4 años

The ceramic tile link live wire oak posted may help you find a quality tile professional in your area. Also try this one:

https://www.tile-assn.com/

The tile pro recommended to me on this site is on the national tile contractors site, but not the other one. So try both using your zip code.

• Super Lumen
    hace 4 años

There is so much wrong here, it is hard to even start. I mean, nearly nothing is right. Nothing.

Fire this guy. Don't pay him. Don't let him "fix" it. Don't let him rip it out and start over. Never let them back in your house. He wants to argue let him know you can get the inspector over and have a conversation about his work.

When you get a competent contractor in there, take lots of pictures. Have your new competent contractor write up a list of illegal/inadequate/not to code work. Have your new competent contractor assign dollar amounts. You want a record of this for any future legal issues with your person you fire.

• PRO
    Alanis Interiors
    hace 4 años

Haven’t read all comments but the floor gets done first, OMG, Fire him now

hace 4 años

OP, in general, where are you located? The tile pro who saved the day for me, knows true pros all over the country bc he teaches, goes to trainings and conferences, etc. I could ask him for a reference for you.

• Liz
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thanks everyone! BTW, he did not pull a permit (no wonder he wasn't worried at all about building the shower to code) and after a day of research, I'm pretty sure we need one in our jurisdiction. We live in a right to cure state, but we are hoping that the extent of these problems, his inability to detail how to fix it (or to even acknowledge that it's not right) makes me think he won't be able to "reasonably" cure this and he will hopefully want to return our deposit, pay us for the tile that has to be torn out, and walk away from this mess. We are absolutely not afraid to sue him if we need to.

hace 4 años

Read the “Goes South” post above. There might be some information in there that is helpful to you.

• Liz
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

thanks, we found that post earlier today and it was really helpful. We are in the Atlanta metro area.

• cpartist
    hace 4 años

I wonder if he didn't pull permits if he has the right to cure?

• Super Lumen
    hace 4 años

@Liz Any cure would involve a complete demolition, loss of all currently installed materials, and starting from scratch, 100% on his dime. Tell him you'd also want to see all proper permits before the work started, and will be hiring a consultant to document code compliance throughout the rest of the project. That'll make him run. You may have to decide if it is worth your time to sue him to get your deposit back if he balks. Anything less than $20,000 is rarely worth fighting over unless you feel you can competently represent yourself without an attorney. If you do part ways, get it in writing. Don't leave it open for him to come back later with "he said vs we said." Document EVERYTHING.

If he's licensed and insured that is good. He won't want his insurance to see a lawsuit that he'll clearly lose, so just the threat will probably solve your problems.

But just to be clear: you do not want him to try and cure this. He has no idea what he is doing. Not a single product in that room is being used correctly.

• Cheryl Hannebauer
    hace 4 años

following

• Liz
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

@superlumen Thank you. Yeah, we realize it has to be gutted, I'm just really glad we caught it now. I am 100% confident in my ability to represent us in small claims (the deposit was 5000). I'm calling the county (we live in an uninc. area) first thing this morning to find out about permitting.

Who consults on code compliance documentation, where can I find someone to do that?

He could have saved this had he walked in and said "OMG this is all wrong" instead he argued with us over whether it was adequate waterproofing. He is shockingly clueless.

• Super Lumen
    hace 4 años

@Liz "Who consults on code compliance documentation"

Another licensed and insured contractor you trust. Or...a friend once hired the city inspector (the next town over to avoid conflict of interest) to come and check over some work. Really anyone in the industry who can be trusted to point out violations.

Like I said, I don't think you'll need to actually hire someone like that, hopefully you can just part ways with this guy.

• Liz
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thanks so much. Just talked to the county and we definitely do need a permit (which I directly asked the GC about before work started and he said we didn't need one). file this whole thing under: I've been too damn trusting.

• Super Lumen
    hace 4 años

@Liz Well it sounds like the best possible outcome. Take a deep breath and better luck with your new installer.

• kats737
    hace 4 años

Wow, it seems things never turn out that way. Whew!

• User
    hace 4 años

Please ensure that ANYTHING he touched is opened up and fixed. Trust nothing, a coworker of mine found a bath drain that flowed to....nothing...and resulted in a 8’ by 6’ by 5’ cavity under his bathtub. When my shower was remodeled, the removed bath drain had not been glued, just press fit, by the builder in 1988...we were lucky.

• PRO
    Cabot & Rowe
    hace 4 años

YIKES. Please do the rest of us decent contractors a favor and report this guy to the local building or licensing agency, if there is any.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.