Houzz Logo Print
sarah_e_orfanedes

White house with white trim— different shades?

Sarah R
hace 4 años

Hi all,

We need to select our exterior paint colors for our siding and trim. We are doing painted white siding (likely SW alabaster but still deciding) and likely want to do white trim as well. I love the idea of the trim popping but am not sold on painting it a completely different color— our house will have navy (SW naval) shutters (including full length shutters on both pairs of French doors), red brick water table and porch, haint blue front porch ceiling, and large hanging yoke gas lantern (details just to provide vision of what we are going for). Two suggestions I have heard are 1) paint the siding in flat paint and the trim in semigloss of the same color; 2) paint the trim in a brighter white than siding. It’s also been suggested that we paint the gables with the shingles a different color (like blue), although not sure that would look good. Would love input! I included picture of house thus far and the drawings since picture is blocked some. Thanks!

Comentarios (17)

• Sarah R
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Note— looking over our contract it looks like GC is planning on doing Satin finish on siding (which is fiber cement). Which is probably better than flat. But still thinking semi-gloss or high clouds for trim?

• calidesign
    hace 4 años

I think you can use the same white in a different finish, but a slightly deeper white (either gray or beige tone) with bright white trim would look better imo. I would re-think putting shutters on the upper windows, or at least measure again. It doesn't appear that you have enough room for the shutters with any space at all between them as shown in your drawing. I would just use the larger shutters on the first floor and beef up the trim on the upper windows.

• Sarah R
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thanks!! To clarify— do you mean that in the drawing it appears that the shutters are too close together or are you saying that in the actual picture doesn’t look like they will fit? I will measure again today! 😊

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 4 años

IMO shutter heaven is not a look that works and the ones on top are just too close together and no way do french doors need or should have shutters. But I also do not think those pillars suit that house , so what do I know.

• PRO
    User
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

Instead of white on white, have you considered a creamy white (light greige) with stark white trim and navy accent? This will add more depth and interest. Something similar to this:

• Sarah R
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thank you all! Leaving towards doing a creamier white for house and then bright white for trim as Glo suggested.
    For the shutters— would it look ok if we don’t put the top ones on and just do the ones on the bottom? (Porch and garage).

• Nidnay
    hace 4 años

Pretty house.

Don’t have any input regarding your colors as I am a fan of super white trim with a contrasting body color (although I do love a crisp white house) ...but...regarding the shutters, you could make cardboard samples for them and have someone hold them up to see how close they will be to one another. Whatever you decide about the upper windows, make sure you use hinges and shutter dogs for the shutters (looks like the architect put them on the elevation). With the shutters properly attached with hinges, you will have more space between each shutter than you would have if they were installed in todays typical way by basically pasting them onto the siding next to the window (plus they will look so much better and realistic).

I would also consider omitting the shutters on your French doors. They will be HUGE if properly sized and don’t know that it will be a good look on your house.

• calidesign
    hace 4 años

I think you can put shutters on the French doors if you want to, and leave all the other windows without shutters - both uppers and the ones to the right of the doors. You don't have enough room for the appropriately sized shutters on the uppers, so I would also leave them off the lower windows to be consistent. That also keeps the focal point on your porch and doorways. But I don't think the shutters are really necessary on the French doors. You have enough going on already between the big front door and the columns. I would leave all the shutters off, and paint your front door the blue color.

• melliemose
    hace 3 años

Glo - what color of creamy white is that in the picture? Creamy whites are hard!

• melliemose
    hace 3 años

Sarah Do you have photos of your house painted? would love to see what you decided on.

• PRO
    User
    hace 3 años

melliemoseUnfortunately, I'm not sure. That was just a photo from Pinterest to illustrate the color scheme I was suggesting. Good luck!

• teaka123
    hace 3 años

Our house is painted white on white. Main body of the house is SW Alabaster and trim is Pure White - roof is bronze metal. Very pleased with how it turned out. For some reason men are the ones who notice the different shades of white and comment on the colors the most. We originally tried SW Shoji White for the main body, but it has pink undertones that I really didn't like. I was able to find other posts on sites that noted the same pink undertone.

• melliemose
    hace 3 años

That is exactly what we ended up going with for the same reasons you mentioned. A neighbor used Shoji white and although her house is very pretty I thought it looked pink at times!!! Happy with the way the two whites worked out. I thought I would notice the two shades and worried that it would look “off” but I think it looks great. Thanks for posting.

• lmckuin
    hace 3 años

Another vote for no shutters - it looks nice now without them and I think they may end up looking too busy.

• teaka123
    hace 3 años

We painted the porch ceiling Atmospheric Blue which I'm really enjoying during these cloudy times (weather and the news).

• Elizabeth Andrews
    el último año
    Última modificación: el último año

@teaka123 and @melliemose, could you please share a picture?

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.