Houzz Logo Print
ahmed_cure

backsplash dilemma. trying to choose the right size white subway tile

Ahmed Cure
hace 4 años

I’m trying to figure out the right size subway tile to be used as my kitchen backsplash . I have a single wall kitchen with an island . The wall with cabinets is 16 ft from fridge to pantry . The island is 10ft long and 44” wide . I have white shaker cabinets and the island’s color is web gray by Sherwin-Williams. The quartz are calacatta with a tint of gray base with light gray veins. I need help choosing between 3x6 , 4x8, or large 3x12 and 4x12. Also , should I use white or light gray grout. Finally , should I get the beveled ones or flat . I know it’s a lot but any advise or opinions will be greatly appreciated. The tiles in the picture are coming down because of poor installation .

Comentarios (30)

• Audrey
    hace 4 años

it looks like you already have tiled the backsplash. what about a dark grout like your island to pull them together. if you are going to put new tile in consider herringbone design pattern w dark grout would make it pop. also the dark grout is easier to maintain.

• PRO
    Skippack Tile & Stone
    hace 4 años

Which size are you liking more? You have already done 1 round, they look like 3x6; I know they are getting removed but do you like how they look? Is the photo area the only section that will get tiles? Personally I would not do the 4x12 as they are pretty big for the space;

• Ahmed Cure
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

@Skippack Tle &stone , to me the 3x6 with dark grout looks too busy and distracts from the island . It kind of looks too much like a grid . Yes that’s the only section that will get the tiles .

• Ahmed Cure
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

More pics

• PRO
    Skippack Tile & Stone
    hace 4 años

I think your mistake was the dark grout; it highlight all the work's imperfections. But that's not the size of the tile's fault. Do you like the tile to have a handmade look or prefer more clean lines? Have you considered using a pale gray tile? Other size to consider is a 2x8.

• PRO
    User
    hace 4 años

I think a thinner tile would look better than the current. I agree that 4x12 seems too large in scale and like the above suggestion for 2x8.

• Lila Dubois
    hace 4 años

I recently updated my backsplash and I found 2x8’s that I loved. Size is a personal preference. For the grout- I was going to do light grey because I like seeing the pattern of grout lines but we wound up going with white because you really can see every little imperfection with grey. If you go with grey, make sure you have an ace tile installer.

However, I am so glad I went with white because the overall effect is a light, clean look and feeling that I have fallen in love with. Here is a pick of the 2x8 white grout we used. We have since updated our dishwasher, so please excuse the old beige one in this pic! Good luck with your choices!

• rachann61
    hace 4 años

So you have the tile, but I can’t tell if it has been grouted? Whatever is there I like it. It looks clean and functional. The first priority in a kitchen. What are you thinking of doing above the window? Are you picking paint color? You should introduce a pop of color through accessories. What’s your favorite color? Go with that. And you can never go wrong with some houseplants. The window has nice natural light. You did a good job!

• rachann61
    hace 4 años

On a second look, you have a tropical landscape out your window. I am jealous as I look at dirty snow and mud out of mine. I think it is a good idea to try to bring the outside into your space

• Ahmed Cure
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Yes it’s been grouted (Gray) . My favorite color changes every year or so lol .

• rachann61
    hace 4 años

I’m the same way but worst, I love almost all colors! So what about items in colorful patterns, tropical prints? As I am watching a winter storm roll in. It is pretty in its winter storm way

• rachann61
    hace 4 años

Your kitchen is my dream kitchen if I had the opportunity to live in a tropical place. Again, good job Ahmed

• Ahmed Cure
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Ok so I narrowed it down to 3x6 or 2x8 . Now m trying to decide the grout color or wether going with the beveled ones .

• User
    hace 4 años

Beautiful kitchen, I happen to like the 4x12 it's a little more dramatic. I just had it installed in a very small kitchen I think it looks great at least in my opinion this will give you an idea..

• Ahmed Cure
    Autor original
    hace 4 años
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>I actually like how that looks
  • Ahmed Cure
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

What is the name of the grout you used ?

• Ahmed Cure
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Maybe a 3x10 would look good .

• Ahmed Cure
    Autor original
    hace 4 años
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>I’m all over the place
  • Lisa Dipiro
    hace 4 años

We put this in my kitchen... wavy texture, white epoxy grout to match. I think it’s 3x6? Top white one

• User
    hace 4 años

I'm not sure of the name of the grout but I match the tile it's like a cream

• herbflavor
    hace 4 años

So much beautiful light in your kitchen: why no color for the tile?

• Ahmed Cure
    Autor original
    hace 4 años
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>I’m afraid of messing it up with color . I’ll use accent stuff that I can easily remove
  • rachann61
    hace 4 años

What about natural stone, marble, or a porcelain that looks like stone. In a subway. Or tile that looks like wood? Grayed driftwood?

• LT Dub
    hace 4 años

I used a beveled porcelain tile with grout to match

• herbflavor
    hace 4 años

R u serious? Whites can be the hardest thing to get right. You don't think you could find a soft green that would look wonderful? There is not all that much tile and some color would play well w your light , and the very large island , as a counterpoint. Well , we all see things differently.

• Ahmed Cure
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

The island is gray blue , so maybe a light gray or light blue glass tile could look good

• rachann61
    hace 4 años

Your flooring is a light wood or wood tone tile, right? So you have a wood element. Stainless appliances, so you will have a metal element. The countertops are quartz for a stone element. So a glass element would cover all the bases. Sea glass is beautiful but it might be too colorful for what you want. There are pretty glass tiles in more neutral tones and subway sizes. Glass tile would reflect light nicely and is a breeze to keep clean. But I think a marble with good gray veins would be stunning. It would be a “real” stone product compared to your manufactured quartz. Marble is the original timeless classic. You do not have that much area to cover so it should not cost that much. I had a marble backsplash in my last home and I never tired of it. It is easy to keep clean with wiping it down like any other polished tile. Another thing to consider with all backsplashes are the electrical outlets. They can be camouflaged or stick out like a sore thumb. In this respect white subways are a good choice. I hope I have helped you and not just added to the confusion

• PRO
    Window Treats Inc.
    hace 4 años

I would use a 4x10 tile with white grout. Or, you can use the same material as your counter top and run it up the wall.

• Ashley Lathrop
    hace 4 años

Curious what you went with for backsplash? And what color gray is your island?

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.