mizzliz33

Mixing Kitchen Cabinet Finishes - Can't figure it out

mizzliz33
hace 4 años
última modificación:hace 4 años

Complete kitchen reno - I'm leaning towards 3 Shuler cabinet finishes: Maple Cottage White Dry Brush, Cherry Cappuccino, Islander Dry Brush. Attached are samples of colors, (not necessarily using those doors), along with proposed new kitchen layout. Should I drop one color and just use two colors? Which color for island and which cover for hood?

My home is currently traditional, (ie., cherry Queen Anne dining room; I will post photos of existing kitchen in the comments). BUT I would like to move towards a more vintage, farmhouse glam, with a touch of English country or coastal, (lol is that even possible). I will get a farmhouse sink, thinking that will likely be white, so I thought one of the darker colors for my lower cabinets to contrast it.

I also thought glass for the top cabinets. I'm also a bit worried they will make the space look to busy/cramped, but I would really love the storage & extra display space if I do go with the glass.

For new flooring, I'm wanting something softer underfoot, so will likely go with a wood grain Luxury Vinyl Plank.

For kitchen table, I will likely paint or use another round table I have.

Any thoughts you all have would be so appreciated. Thank you!!

Comentarios (12)

• mizzliz33
    Autor original
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

This is my existing space. Note the fridge will move to the wall where the white door is, so the range, (less the microwave), will have more room on the wall. Also, the wall on the left will be fridge/coffee bar/pantry - all recessed into that wall, as per plans in picture below. Plus the island will be turned sideways. (forgive the mess).

this is the proposed opposite wall, (left side of the kitchen in the "before" photo above".

• Pam A
    hace 4 años

I love wood cabinets that are finished to look like wood. I would personally choose the brown (wood) cabinet door myself. But ... it will be harder to find a floor and granite that all work well with it. That was my experience, I went with white oak cabinets with a finish that looks a bit like French Oak, and finding granite and floors was HARD. I also used LVP for softness and durability (and I was so happy to not worry about tracking snow across it recently).

I say that to say ... get everything selected before you pull the trigger on ANY ONE element. At some point you will be tempted to throw in the towel and get something safe and easy that no one second guesses. It's okay ... if you aren't locked into anything you can keep hunting or changing your mind if needed. But ... I like the wood look and experts say it is coming back in a big way.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 4 años

Never 3 colors and if you choose to have the island a different color of cabinets then all the same counter for everything BTW those cabinet doors with all the grooves will be a PITA to keep clean

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    hace 4 años

I like the wood stained door as the base cabinets of the room and the warm white for the uppers...I do love that greenish color but feel 3 color cabinets may be too much! Have your designer put them into the pictures so you can really see - maybe do the 3rd on the island? But I feel the island would have to be designed very differently - look more like a furniture piece with a countertop on it to pull off that 3rd color.

On a side note - You will have to make some sort of cover if you are venting that hood outside since there are glass doors up there. You might want to consider just doing a taller hood , if there is one, or no glass.

Also - it is hard to tell from the pictures, try to get the cabinets to be as balanced in size as possible. The cabinets on each side of the stove look like they are different sizes and the cabinets to the right of the window should have all the same size doors, if possible.

Good luck!

mizzliz33 agradeció a Debbi Washburn
  • User
    hace 4 años

Get out of the box store and find a Medallion or Yorktown dealer. It’s the same cabinets, with more options, and a far better design experience. You’re not receiving good advice from your box store seller.

mizzliz33 agradeció a User
  • megs1030
    hace 4 años

Pick 2. The green is gorgeous, imo, but would love it with a crisper white. Agree with visiting a dealer and not a big box store.

mizzliz33 agradeció a megs1030
  • mizzliz33
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thank you all. I went to Kitchen design store, (Medallion cabinets), and Lowes (Shuler).

Kitchen place took forever to get back to me with one plan, (which I still need to revise). Lowes guy designed it right in front of us so we could change it on the fly and save multiple versions. And I had heard going with Lowes Shuler would save money over using the Medallion. With 2 kids about to start college I don't want to break the bank. I'm not needing a high-end kitchen, but I do want to love it. (Looking at GE Cafe series appliances, possibly white or black finish).

But, I guess you are right, kitchen place will likely have a better "designer".

p.s. Not using the cabinets with those grooves; those were just the samples for color. Was going to do a shaker, but wow that will be a whole other decision as well!

I'm leaning now towards eliminating that blue/green, (I do love it, but guess I could use accents in that color). Back to the store tomorrow, sigh.

• Jeanne Seefus
    hace 4 años

Maybe do your backsplash in the blue/green color?? That would look beautiful IMO

• User
    hace 4 años

Anyone who designs in front of a customer is a fool. And arrogant. That’s how major mistakes are made. The box stores are really good with major mistakes and taking a 4 month remodel and turning it into a year remodel. Their designers don’t have to pay for their mistakes, so they never learn from them.

Schuler is not cheaper than Medallion. Plus the mistakes will cost you way more.

mizzliz33 agradeció a User
  • PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    hace 4 años

There are benefits to designing with the customer there IF IF IF the walls, doors windows etc and an initial plan are already in the computer. If starting from scratch you may get something that is not as thought through - it's more of a "go to" layout.

I do not do initial layouts in front of the customer but I will do redesigns with them present. Just to change the visual. Pricing will always be done once the new plan can be reviewed.

Local shops will take longer to get back to you because they will generally do a better, more thorough job up front. Plus they are also doing their own ordering and sometimes measuring job sites and helping installers on sight - they do a lot more than a big box store designer does.

Not all designers are bad at the big box stores, but you have to make sure someone ( like your contractor ) is really checking their plans for fit and that you are asking a lot of questions about options.

Good luck!

mizzliz33 agradeció a Debbi Washburn
  • Bob W
    hace 4 años

I’m also leaning heavily towards the cherry cappuccino-stained cabinets. I love the look and the fact that they’re not white (most likely Yorktowne). But I’m having a tough time finding the right LVP flooring to coordinate... Please let us know what you finally choose!

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.