Houzz Logo Print
elizabetheva

how much powder room lighting, second guessing

EvaElizabeth
hace 4 años

I’m replacing an over vanity light in a narrow powder room and I’m second guessing every decision I make. It’s 35” wide and the current vanity is a builder’s basic grade globe fixture with 6 bulbs. I originally planned to use 2 shallow sconces on the side walls above the sink and add one recessed light in the center of the room. Now I’m panicking that it’s not enough light. I know I don’t need 6! But, how do I estimate how much illumination I need? Should I add a small recessed light above the sink? I want enough lighting to be able to touch up makeup in there when I’m on my way out but it’s mostly a guest bathroom, so most importantly I would like the light to be pretty and layered.

It’s not too late to change fixtures but I have to take the old one down and determine the new placement before wallpaper goes up this week. Too much pressure!

Thanks for the help!

Comentarios (5)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    hace 4 años

It's a powder room, not a laboratory. Two sconces ( 60 watt equivalent ) , a 4 inch recessed over the sink, a fan/light combination over the john. ...or near it.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    hace 4 años

If you want to touch up makeup in a powder room, the sconces are what you need. Unless it is a very large powder room, you do not need more than one ceiling recessed light.

It sounds like you are putting a lot of thought into this, so that is good.

• EvaElizabeth
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thank you so much! This is the most expensive project I’ve done on my own and I’m both decisioned out and second guessing everything. I read something about vanity lights being preferable in narrow powder rooms and I went down a rabbit hole for like 2 days! I’m going to stick with my original plan and if it feels like I need more light I can switch out the fan for a combo unit.

• fnmroberts
    hace 4 años

Here’s ours. Install a dimmer to adjust intensity.

• PRO
    Master Edge Homes
    hace 4 años

Hi EvaElizabeth, your original instincts were right on. 2 sconces on either side of the mirror and one recessed light should give you sufficient light in your new powder room.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.