Houzz Logo Print
webuser_553263610

Choosing to paint ceiling in bedroom- is it too much??

Sue
hace 4 años

The new bed was just delivered. It has a gray headboard chosen bc I wanted a neutral color. My plan is to have an accent wall behind the bed using a wallpaper (Flourish by Candace Olson) and then painting the other 3 walls a white. I bought the bedspread that picks up the blue/greens in the wallpaper. It’s similar to SW Lakeshore. I love the look of a light blue ceiling but I’m wondering if there will be too much going on between the wallpaper, the white walls, the dark bedspread, to paint the ceiling. My challenge is to find the right white to go with wallpaper background.
The picture is of the bed but taken from the website.
What do you think- paint light blue or the same color as the walls (which I’m still struggling with).

Comentarios (37)

• Sue
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

It’s a Southwest facing room.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 4 años

Get a much nicer light then I would choose a soft blue from the wallpaper for a wall color and go white bedding to really highlight the wallpaper IMO that bedding fights the wallpaper then just add a couple of pillows in the blue and green from the wallpaper and a throw in the blue or the green If you like a cozy feel just paint the ceiling like the walls.

• IdaClaire
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

That's her bed, not her bedding. I think this will be lovely and would not hesitate to paint the ceiling, particularly since you've long wanted to. Which wall will the bed be placed on?

• cawaps
    hace 4 años

So this is close to the bedding color (SW Lakeshore)?

• Sue
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Here is the bedroom now. It’s a guest room so I don’t need dressers. The end table I pulled from another room temporarily. The bedspread pulls out the darker blue which is closest to SW Lakeshore.

• chocolatebunny123
    hace 4 años

If you're painting the walls white I'm not sure that I would paint the ceiling blue. For me it would be too much because you already have a busy wallpaper.

We always use SW Ice Cube for our ceilings. It has just a hint of blue, especially depending on the time of day and how the natural light hits it, to make it interesting (IMO) and not have the ceilings chalk white. It is considered a white color by SW. I will add that the color in my lighting is much more subtle than it shows on the SW site.

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW6252-ice-cube#/6252/?s=coordinatingColors&p=PS0

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    hace 4 años

Have you thought about wallpapering the ceiling instead of behind the bed? I think that can work really well. Put a large piece of art above the headboard instead.

Not all bedrooms, but you'll get the idea:

Southampton Residence · Más información

Platte Park 2101 · Más información

National Trust Holiday Cottage · Más información

• printesa
    hace 4 años

I would probably paint everything white, but a white that goes well with the white from the wallpaper..For the bed, I would try to break up all that blue..it's a bit intense and makes the entire thing too dark..it might be the photo, but the dark gray with the dark blue coverlet seems a bit to dark overall. Here is an example of what I mean by breaking it up

Colourful family home - New Malden · Más información

• cawaps
    hace 4 años

"Ceiling" is SW Topsail. I think the wall is SW Shell white. And I hope I have the scale of the wallpaper in the ballpark. It's hard to judge from manufacturer photos.

• cawaps
    hace 4 años

White wall, wallpaper ceiling

Blue Wall, white ceiling

• Sue
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

I’m not finished with the room yet and I know the spread is in your face dark! The holidays are coming and I needed a darker spread. I will break the dark with a coverlet that will pull a lighter color.
    Thank you so much for the wallpaper mock up and the choices. I think I will do topsail on ceiling and color match the white wallpaper background for the walls.
    A new chandelier is definitely in the plan.
    Wallpapering the ceiling is not in the budget.

• IdaClaire
    hace 4 años

I love the mockup with Topsail on ceiling! It's going to be so pretty. Please share pics when the room is complete.

• PRO
    Jodie White Designs
    hace 4 años

Love your wallpaper selection. Would like to see other walls as perspective of the space is important to the whole design process. Ceiling Wall color would be stunning to accentuate the height and angles of the space. Pillows and bedding will tie it all together. New Chandelier and taller lamps for balance. Take the wallpaper sample to SW to get accurate colors as monitors and screens depict different hues that are not the actual color. Also, get samples and see the colors and different times of day. The bedding can be layered and reveal just a touch of the teal bedspread for the splash of color. Best of Luck.

• Sue
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thank you all for your advice! Jodie I love the bedspread you posted in the first picture- where can I buy one?
    Here are the walls.

• Sue
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

I’m not sure how high the ceilings are to the top peak but the walls are 9 feet and 13 ft wide.

• Sue
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Sorry for bothering you all for advice but husband said we are over budget so I needed to choose another wallpaper. I’m going with one that has some sparkle to it and not painting the ceiling blue. I’m using Pure White on ceiling and 3 walls. I’ll get a new chandelier with crystals and lamps that sparkle!

• IdaClaire
    hace 4 años

That's really pretty! A different direction than before, to be sure, but I think you'll end up with a very elegant room. Nice choices.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 4 años

I like it much better. Very nice choices! It will look beautiful and calming for guest.

• Sue
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Do most people paint the ceiling the same white as the walls?
    Thanks Flo, I really thought about it being a calming jewel box for guests and with this wallpaper I can switch up the bedspreads and pillows.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 4 años

In your space, I love doing walls and ceiling in same color. Very soothing.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 4 años

Consider these lamps for night stands. $99 each. Mercury glass with design complimenting wallpaper and headboard! From LampsPlus.

• Sue
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Oh thank you sooo much! I will order them now! Perfect!

• Sue
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Will I need new lamp shades?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 4 años

You might. But have to see them first. At that price, you can run to nearest Target because they sell shades separately from bases. Can’t tell from Internet photos.

• Sue
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Where should I put the sheets?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 4 años

Like this because you have too much at joint between palladium and bottom window. Best if drapery matches wall color. Softer look.

• njmomma
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

Following to see how this beautiful room turns out.

• lynartist
    hace 4 años

I would disregard the small half circle window. It throws the scale off in the room; spend your$$$ on window treatments. Custom drapes that make the windows spear wider and taller! A matching fabric cornice board that raises the height of that window in keeping with the ceiling height in this room. As much as I like that wallpaper ( I have used it in the past); the scale is wrong for here. Spend your money were it will count. Beautiful wall color and linens and drapes.

• PRO
    NSR HANDCRAFTS
    hace 4 años

The handpainted silk wallpaper, custom design and ground color, it is easy to make the room more better.

Budgets from USD980 to USD2500, more complicated design, more higher costs.

contact chinese manufacturer to enjoy the best quality wallpaper in competitive price, save more than 50% costs. www.chinese-wallpaper.com

• lynartist
    hace 4 años

Keep your bedding calm and elegant. It should look inviting ! Give it some thought and take your time choosing different elements; not a bed in a bag! If you must have that wallpaper use it in the bathroom.

• Sue
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

I’ve already ordered the wallpaper and I like it. No bed in a bag for me. I bought a white quilted spread from PB and it goes great with the wallpaper and headboard. I do want a pop of color but haven’t decided on which color. Since it’s the holidays I may just go with those colors (red) for the blanket for now and change in January. I like that first picture lynartist posted. I will wait and choose once the paper is up and walls and ceilings are painted SW Pure White. Thanks!

• krottmann
    hace 4 años

following...

• Sue
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

The room is painted SW Pure White and it’s perfect with the wallpaper. I need end tables bc right now I have tray tables covered with a sparkly tablecloth. I found my old crystal lamps but need to change the bulbs and get new shades. Haven’t had time to switch out the ceiling fan for a crystal chandelier. Now looking for a pop of color I can use in the room. Xmas pillow lights up. Kind of fun for the room. Pictures don’t show the wall paper very well but it’s very subtle. Not sure I will keep the small chair or switch it for one that’s more substantial. Will hang art later.
    Next project is the other bedroom I had them paint SW Naval. I love it.

• Sue
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Here is Naval!

• Sue
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Tree top Room

• printesa
    hace 4 años

It came out beautifully. The Naval one looks really nice, too.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.