Houzz Logo Print
dani_shugart

White Cabinets Versus Colorful Cabinets

Dani Shugart
hace 4 años
última modificación:hace 4 años

I'm getting my kitchen professionally painted and swapping out the hardware for a simple kitchen refresh. My cabinets are faux wood and make the room feel hot and orange.

I really love the look of a green-ish kitchen, but going green on uppers AND lowers in my kitchen will make it feel like a cave -- too dark.

So what do I do?

I'm a little bored with all-white kitchens, but an interior designer told me that the two toned look will go out of style fast.

She recommended I go all white on the cabinets and just do a colored backsplash.

BUT adding a gorgeous new backsplash above my old Corian countertops will look silly and we're not ready to do a pro paint job, new hardware, new backsplash, AND new countertops. Our kitchen is big enough that that would be a massive project.

We aren't ready to overhaul ALL of our kitchen finishes right now. Just a paint and hardware refresh.

• What would you do?

• How do you feel about white uppers and colorful lowers?

• And how do you feel about white kitchens versus kitchens with color?

• Any other words of wisdom?

(This photo is from 2016. We have swapped out the black fridge for a counter-depth stainless one and our floors are now stained walnut.)

All White Cabinetry and Island
White Uppers, With Colorful Lowers and Colorful Island
White Cabinetry with Colored Island

Comentarios (16)

• calidesign
    hace 4 años

If you want a deep green, you can use it on the lower cabinets with white above. Or consider using a very pale celedon green on all the cabinets. But since you are keeping your countertop and floors, those items should be the biggest consideration so you can choose a cabinet color that works with them. Post some photos.

Dani Shugart agradeció a calidesign
  • bens bride
    hace 4 años

Choose a color you loved for a long time and makes you feel happy.

Add lighting! Under cabinet lighting and general lighting. A kitchen with 8' ceilings should be lit from ceiling with approximately 35 lumens per square foot.

Dani Shugart agradeció a bens bride
  • drsaj
    hace 4 años

White cabinets with a colored island will give you the pop of color you desire right now and the island can always be repainted down the road if you or a future buyer would prefer white or a different color.

Dani Shugart agradeció a drsaj
  • cawaps
    hace 4 años

What color green were you thinking about that would make your kitchen feel like a cave? Forest green? Deep olive? There are lots of perfectly lovely light greens (and blues and yellows and pinks) that you could use on both lowers and uppers and would not look to dark.

All the color in my kitchen comes from the wall paint and artwork (I have a shortage of cabinetry so lots of wall space for artwork). You could go a long way with wall paint.

Check out this thread from someone who also wants color in her kitchen

How to achieve a fun kitchen, responsibly

Dani Shugart agradeció a cawaps
  • njmomma
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

Some inspiration:

Hamptons Beach House · Más información

Dani Shugart agradeció a njmomma
  • njmomma
    hace 4 años

More inspiration: Maybe just do the island green.

Canterbury | A Vision In Green · Más información

Dani Shugart agradeció a njmomma
  • acm
    hace 4 años

Agree with a light green, all or lowers.

American Farmhouse · Más información

Light Pistachio Green Kitchen · Más información

Leawood, KS Colorful Kitchen · Más información

Lakeside Family Cottage · Más información

Victorian Kitchen · Más información

Chelsea Townhouse · Más información

Highland Park Craftsman · Más información

Not sure this last one would work with your stone, but I think I just fell in love!!

A Touch of Brass · Más información

Dani Shugart agradeció a acm
  • Dani Shugart
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

cawaps I was thinking SW Pewter Green, or SW Rocky River. Something earthy and moody. But I pretty much love all greens. Great link by the way, thank you!

• lucky998877
    hace 4 años

Go for the green! It will be fun and you are clearly excited about it. It's paint, in 10 years you can reconsider. I'm doing green also, very dark...it might read closer to black most of the time. I've already done the medium green years ago, so I want something new.

Dani Shugart agradeció a lucky998877
  • 1929Spanish-GW
    hace 4 años

I GM have a green kitchen in a vintage house. I love it, but think colors like that need to be respectful of the overall architecture of the home. And you have to be sure you’ll love it over time. Green has always been my favorite color.

Dani Shugart agradeció a 1929Spanish-GW
  • Ephma
    hace 4 años

I have an SW Pewter Green Island with BM White Dove perimeter cabinets. I love it!! But I’ve always loved green. My green dishes that I got when we were married 18 years ago go perfectly with my new island. :)

Dani Shugart agradeció a Ephma
  • Daniel OConnell
    hace 4 años

White kitchens have been stylish for a while. Is their day coming to an end? I don't know. I remember someone asking that about stainless steel appliances about 25 years ago. My own personal preference is to get some warm colors going in the kitchen. We've seen many gorgeous green cabinets and islands her on Houzz (such as the photos above) and in other publications. Imagine those kitchens in white...would they look as good? We see lots of white kitchens that are in homes located in coastal or other areas where there are lots of grey days. I've never understood why people in those locations pick white...I'd definitely want a bright, warm-looking kitchen in such situations. I also wonder if many of those white kitchens are due to a lack of creativity or confidence.

Dani Shugart agradeció a Daniel OConnell
  • megs1030
    hace 4 años

Go for the green! If you don't like the lighter greens, then go for a bolder, deeper, richer green on your lowers and island. Or just the island. It's your space, go for it!

Dani Shugart agradeció a megs1030
  • Dani Shugart
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thank you all for the great suggestions! I'm excited about this project again. :-)

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.