Houzz Logo Print
rlaspina

upper cabinet symmetry

Rlaspina
hace 4 años

Hi:)
I need to make a final decision on which upper cabinet layout I prefer. I can’t decide if I go with symmetry or a bit more space?? I’m a total symmetry person with everything else, but I can’t figure out which design is more esthetically pleasing to the eye??? Help?? Opinions? First pic has the 2 cabinets the same size on the sides of my hood. 2nd pic has a bigger cabinet on the right of the hood and that skinny 9 inch upper next to my fridge in the other side of the window. Do I create symmetry around my stove or my window???
Thanks! Opinions appreciated!

Comentarios (47)

• PRO
    Creative Visual Concepts, Kevin Strader
    hace 4 años

First one looks better to me. I like the bit of space around the window. If you need the extra storage then go with the second one.

• K R
    hace 4 años

I agree with first one, to me the second looks cramped. How wide is that cabinet, and would you be able to fit anything in there?

• PRO
    User
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

I voted for #1 based off the assumption you don't need the additional storage, although nominal. Plus, the additional space around the window is more attractive in my opinion.

Another suggestion for layout is to have the last cabinet on the left align with the other cabinetry, which I feel is adding to the dilemma/visual weight in a negative way in both scenarios.

Hope this helps and good luck!

• itsourcasa
    hace 4 años

Keep more room around the window! Looks great.

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    hace 4 años

I like the first one better.

Is the dishwasher right next to the range?

• clsarah
    hace 4 años

It looks to me like your poll options are in the opposite order of your pictures. I think the space around the windows looks better

• PRO
    Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor
    hace 4 años

Make sure the net openings can fit plates. Where are you storing plates and glassware?

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 4 años

IMO no uppers would be best and also just a simple hood

• damiarain
    hace 4 años

Speaking of adding storage, do you have the option to put in more drawer base units vs the drawer-cupboard ones shown?

• PRO
    Rlaspina
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thank you for all these responses, so helpful!
    Maybe I should have added that we are strictly replacing older cabinets, not changing our granite at all, so working around those obstacles.
    I also have a huge island that isn’t in the pictures and a big pantry on the other side as well:)
    So, it’s not necessary to have the extra storage, but I’m really more concerned in others opinions on the being visually pleasing within the restraints of just replacing the cabinets.
    The dishwasher is a paneled door next to the range for whoever asked:)

• PRO
    User
    hace 4 años

I voted for the wrong one and just realized when clsarahmentioned the pictures being flipped in the poll. I thought I was voting for less cabinets around the window.

• wilson853
    hace 4 años

I'd move the range just enough to the left so that you can put the DW next to the refrigerator so that you are not prepping over the DW. That would allow you to flank the range with drawer bases for prep tools, pots and pans, and spices. If space allows, it is always a good idea to make the hood six inches wider than the cooking surface. If you haven't already chosen your windows I would consider cutting the window width down to pick a bit more wall space - maybe two windows that are a few inches wider than what you are currently showing. I would leave breathing room around the window and use two equal sized cabinets on each side of the hood. The one on the left does not have to touch the wall. If those are tiny pullouts on each side of the range, I would scrap them and add that space to the drawers.

Rlaspina agradeció a wilson853
  • PRO
    Rlaspina
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Do you think I need to have equal space on both sides of the window too??

• printesa
    hace 4 años

probably now what you want to hear, but I would not have any cabinets there, especially if you don't need the storage. I would do a simpler hood and no cabinets.

• PRO
    Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor
    hace 4 años

symmetry is overrated except on paper. I'd preserve a wider upper above the DW and abandon the narrow upper right of the sink.

Rlaspina agradeció a Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor
  • wilson853
    hace 4 años

I don't think that you need to have equal space on both sides of the window. Artwork could help balance the space, but I would initially lay out the bases and appliances and see how things work out for window placement and uppers. This type of appliance layout would allow someone to open the DW without getting in your way between the sink and range.

• PRO
    Rlaspina
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

we have no movement of appliances or bases, as we are just replacing cabinets without changing granite or appliances. so Im stuck with trying to find some symmetry either around the window or the range.... not sure which is more imporant for symmetry

• Sammy
    hace 4 años

The suggestion by some to move the range over to the left is a really bad one. There is a staircase landing in that area! OP: Have you looked into moving the range over to the right or even to the island? I don’t know how accurately your digital rendering reflects real-life conditions, but it sure looks like an accident waiting to happen.

• kariyava
    hace 4 años

I would definitely chose the option with fewer upper cabinets (first picture in the post; second option in the poll). It is much more aesthetically pleasing, and the tiny cabinet is not likely to be useful either.

• Usuario de Houzz-161159613
    hace 4 años

Maybe a simple hood and floating wood shelves on each side.

• ci_lantro
    hace 4 años

Both options are messy. Too busy with the corbels, crown, stepped back upper cabinets.

I would want a simple, easy to clean hood, minimal frou-frou.

• PRO
    Creative Design Cabinetry
    hace 4 años

You're crowding the window a little too much on the second.

• PRO
    Rlaspina
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Do you think I can have unequal space around the window? Would it look out of balance to have a bigger cabinet to the left of the sink and no cabinet to the right of the sink?

• tartanmeup
    hace 4 años

Echoing what others have suggested. If you don't desperately need the storage, consider omitting those cabinets. The area will look a lot better with just the hood. Otherwise, a large cabinet to the left of hood, not two small ones, and nothing around the window.

• schultzy
    hace 4 años

I visually prefer more space around the window, so no cabinet to the right. I am also a symmetry person. I just redid my kitchen cabinets and mine is not symmetrical and I think it looks beautiful. Symmetry in a kitchen is overrated.

• schultzy
    hace 4 años

your poll pictures are backwards...I think that might be skewing the results as most comments lean towards more space around the window.

• tartanmeup
    hace 4 años

I also usually prefer symmetry as well but I don't have it around my kitchen window either. Function prevailed. In your case, symmetry would crowd the area and not be pleasing to the eye.

• Aglitter
    hace 4 años

It's easy in a renovation to want to utilize all available area for cabinetry storage, but windows look better with more space around them. It's a hard compromise to make, but I think you'd enjoy more breathing room by giving your window the extra space. Symmetry is overrated. Go for balance.

• mle0782
    hace 4 años

Where are you going to store glasses/plates when you unload the dishwasher? In the first pic, the upper cabinet is too narrow to put a plate in so that may answer your question.

• Kristin S
    hace 4 años

Don't crowd the window.

• PRO
    Rlaspina
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Can’t move stove. Granite is not being changed. We are reusing it

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 4 años

i think the corbels and fussiness on the vent hood are too much, so I would omit those. It's a small stove.

keep it simple. Maybe do one of these vent hoods instead:

also like more room around window area. that thin little cabinet on the right side would be useless. (you will lose an inch or so on the actual interior)

• Design Girl
    hace 4 años

Agree with Beth H. Simplify the design of the hood, and lose the corbels. Its too busy. Since you don't need storage space, can you make a larger hood, increase the size of the upper to the left of the hood, and omit the cabinet to the right of the hood entirely. I think it looks a little odd with no cabinets on the right side of the window, and then a cabinet on the left. By making a larger far left upper and a larger hood, with no cabinet to the right of the hood, I feel would create more balance around the window.

• daisiesandbutterflies
    hace 4 años

I don't think the ultra narrow cabinets will fit much of anything other than spice jars. I would avoid them all together.

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    hace 4 años

The very narrow upper cabinet adjacent to the window looks odd. Much prefer the wider cabinet even though it encroaches on the window.

• PRO
    Filipe Custom Woodwork
    hace 4 años

I honestly would pass on both designs. They look forced. Yes simpler hood and if you can loose the cabinetry on either side of the hood then I would do something like this.

Below, see the center picture Let the hood be the focal point on that side and add decorative sconces on either side to create drama. Not for style etc but for strategic placement.

This another option of a simple hood style with corbels and still stand alone.

• artistsharonva
    hace 4 años

Since there is restrictions to use same countertop spacing then the stove has to remain where it is. What you could do is to make the wall cabinet in the right corner set back or flush, definitely not pushes forward as seen. Treat the cabinets & hood circled in yellow symmetrical. Visually the far cabinet in corner could be made frosted glass to keep it looking less asymmetrical.

• artistsharonva
    hace 4 años

I agree with others about simplifying the hood.

Right now it looks smushed in corner & proportionately off due to the location & ceiling heigth.

You can still get it looking dressed up & fancy by doing some simplifying. If anything, make the hood 6" wider than the stove to get 3" spacing between the upper wall cabinet.

Stretching the middle hood out will help declutter the look. Plus, a lot of gas stove suggest this for fire safety. Check vent & stove specs before ordering cabinets.

It's quite common & suggested. here's an example +3 '' spacing on both sides above

You could even spread it out 6 on both sides

or just do a wider hood only with no wall cabinets.

This will be main focal paint on this wall, so getting it proportionate & symmetric is highly recommended.

Hope that helps you figure out a gorgeous hood you be proud to show guests.

• PRO
  • PRO
    Rlaspina
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Is this any better?

• Design Girl
    hace 4 años

It's better, but IMO you should leave out any uppers and continue to simplify the range hood. I'd lose the corbels, and let the hood speak for itself without any uppers in that space. It looks very unbalanced with the cabinet to the right of the hood going right up to the window casing, and having nothing on the other side. Since you seem to be able to photoshop (and I can not), I suggest putting up another picture with just the hood and no uppers. See what you and others think. I would also move the microwave to the island if possible (drawer style?), as it also detracts from the hood area. You really want to make your stove/hood the focal point and in this scenario, the upper cabinetry is just not working. The only other thing I can think of would be to decrease the size of the window, but I am assuming that since you don't want to change the granite, that changing the window would be out of the question as well.

• PRO
    Filipe Custom Woodwork
    hace 4 años

It's better than the first 2 options you posted.

You can also change the glass instead of being clear, it can have a texture or it can be mirrored.

Can you install the Microwave in the island to get it out of the countertop??

• PRO
    Rlaspina
    Autor original
    hace 4 años
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>It’s not a microwave, it’s a Wolf toaster oven. I’m a toaster oven girl here:)
    I use it everyday so I tried to get a nice one, but it’s a functional thing for me
  • artistsharonva
    hace 4 años

Hi,rlaspina, yes the last one you posted with the glass looks much better. Good job! I'm a toaster girl too. I love my counter toaster. I use a stainless steel eletric water kettle to boil water for my french press coffee. I got rid of the microwave years ago & do not miss it.

• artistsharonva
    hace 4 años

Btw, you may need a little space between hood & wall cabinet with double doors to prevent the door from hitting the hood when it opens towards the hood. I would have the spacing same on both sides of hood between wall cabinets same. If you do not get spacing, you can get an accessory for hinge to keep doors from opening pass 90 degree. Or at the very least a clear bump sticker on side of hood to stop it from damaging door.

• Aglitter
    hace 4 años

@artistsharonva I've considered a lift-up door for cabinetry around the hood in my own kitchen for the reason you mentioned, side-open double doors hitting the hood.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.