moe_carter

too much brick on exterior of building

Moe Carter
hace 4 años

We are members of 76 unit condo association in NJ shore resort community. The building is near 50 years old and wondering what could be done to exterior to update without spending a small fortune. Some folks suggested shutters but concerned not correct solution and too many shutters 150 in already tight area. In addition to main bldg two stand alone buildings : one office /Manager unit plus another private residence. Wondering if there is a rule of thumb on spacing of shutters. Any suggestions to bring this bldg more current would be appreciated and tone down brick. We realize we can paint but looking for any suggestions on improvement. Believe it or not we have members that think this bldg looks great and believe it or not it is a beach block property that I feel with some improvements will make the units more valuable given its desired location. Thanks !

Comentarios (26)

• Bri Bosh
    hace 4 años

Honestly I think large pots with greenery (real, not fake) would go farther. This looks like a paved paradise...

• cat_ky
    hace 4 años

No shutters, it will look way too busy. I think you are worrying about nothing actually. Its a very nice looking building, that looks like what it is, an apartment building. It also looks very clean and very well maintained. I do agree with Bri Bosh above, it needs a bunch of potted plants and greenery, to make it feel homey and welcoming. I would certainly never paint all that brick, which is in good condition. That is one heck of a big building to take on all that maintenance. I would like to see some colorful chairs out on those balconys, but, guess thats up to the individuals that live there. It looks a bit sterile.

• rnonwheels
    hace 4 años

Paint all railings black, as well as the upright brick pillars.

• Daniel OConnell
    hace 4 años

I'm with cat_ky...do not paint the brick. I'd be tempted to do some experimental painting of the doors and windows...one unit at a time so that you haven't spent much money if you don't like it. Or you could paint a few units, each with a different color scheme, and vote on which one you like best. Paint is probably the least expensive solution here, plus you probably have to paint fairly frequently, anyway, given your location to the ocean. While it goes against painting the brick, I'd consider wrapping just the pillars in stucco and then painting them. With a building as large as yours, you might want to consider bare brick plus two paint tones. The building in front (middle photo) is not doing the big building any favors, especially with that mansard roof. And neither is the monolithic parking lot. Hide the front building with some greenery. Also, think about doing something with the stairway enclosures. The photos don't show them well but they seem to improve the overall appearance of the place.

• calidesign
    hace 4 años

No shutters. I would paint the railings black, remove the scrolling designs from the pool railings, and update the boob light fixtures to a more updated, black fixture. Don't paint any of the brick, which will turn into a maintenance nightmare.

• suezbell
    hace 4 años

Looks really good as is.

More modern railing exists but that upgrade would likely mean a rent increase.

Plaints require a commitment to maintain and the local fire code may well prohibit potential blocking or impeding walk path with any kind of flower pot or even a "permanently" placed chair. There are railing brackets for flower pots but it would be difficult to ensure every resident maintains a thriving attractive plant year round. If any pot bracket failed, that would be a "fall on your head" hazard -- a liability no practical owner wouldn't want.

Your only practical budget friendly option to upgrade the building would be to paint all the white painted surfaces another color -- or at least all the doors and storm doors -- but you'd lose that crisp clean look white provides if you do that.

On that front fence, however, it might be possible to add brackets, rectangle pots and planters or to change the light posts to include hanging brackets for hanging baskets during growing season and/or wind chimes and/or bird feeders and/or holiday banners in the colder months.

I'd leave this attractive building as is.

• partim
    hace 4 años

Painting the brick and adding shutters will do absolutely nothing to increase the value of the property. Brick is no-maintenance, painted brick requires maintenance. The style is wrong for shutters.

• partim
    hace 4 años

Contrary to what the home improvement shows would have you believe, slapping a coat of paint on brick doesn't increase your property value.

• decoenthusiaste
    hace 4 años

Do nothing to the building unless you need to have some mortar repair or re-pointing of the brick done. I see a mix of seating on the individual apt. balconies. I think unifying the styles of those chairs would be a positive. Perhaps a sit/vote contest for residents among the ones already there, and others management likes, could result in a choice so mgmt could provide two matching chairs and a small table for each res. unit. Much cheaper improvement than painting the building. White is a good color for those. Bird feeders will cause bird and seed droppings needing to be cleaned up, and wind chimes will start to get cheap and tacky looking, plus they can be irritating. I think whatever you do will have to be the responsibility of mgmt. and not the residents. If the light posts can be fitted with brackets and hanging baskets on each side of them, it would be enough. Consider hiring a professional firm to plant them up and maintain them on a regular schedule and with seasonally appropriate plants or greenery. Personally, I'm not a fan of everyone hanging stuff on their door in a situation like this. You could make an exception for that at holiday time two or three times a year, but limit it and have a deadline for when the items need to come down. Leaving decor up past the deadline would be an infraction, and mgmt would have the right to remove and dispose of violating items. It is a very attractive building, so tread lightly.

• Nancy Ingram
    hace 4 años

So I would limewash not paint the columns white. Add molding to the windows and doors. You may consider painting the doors light coastal colors each floor having a unique color. Or paint all the doors the same color but get some color on them. And yes, if everyone could have the same patio set.

• Sammie J
    hace 4 años

The no-maintenance brick would be a selling point for me. I agree with adding a bit of greenery if you can install an irrigation system and installing updated light fixtures. Another thought ... add full-view storm doors.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 4 años

Glass railings, some huge plantings of greenery and nice coloful umbrellas

• graywings123
    hace 4 años

A big NO to shutters and to painting the brick. What will make the building look good is to make sure it is fresh and clean. Make sure every window, every door, and every railing is clean and in good repair - no rust, no broken down hardware, no spots where paint has chipped off. Clean the concrete floors. Clean the brick and mortar and repair any holes. Nice looking building!

• Denise Marchand
    hace 4 años

Ahhh, down the Jersey Shore. Yesterday i actually rode from Island Beach to Point. It's finally built up again after Sandy, but it's amazing that there are still so many vacant lots. So sad.

Here's a pic of a place in Cape May that you might like. I am a big fan of painted brick, especially down here. It looks bright and clean and fresh.

Please no shutters.

Paint everything white with navy blue doors, including the screen doors, and focus on the charm of the management stand alone office. Add striped awnings (like the pics) and a "walkway" awning to the management office. It will be a lovely welcoming sight.. Add long cinderblock cement planters along the front brick fence with tons of hydrangea along that entire frontage, maybe some evergreen inbetween.

It could be the South of France if you close your eyes. haha. After my ride along the shore, I felt so sad at the missed opportunity for Seaside and Point to become something special. I'm a Jersey girl and this could have brought out why we love the shore.

• Denise Marchand
    hace 4 años

Hydrangea are easy to grow and maintain and the shore loves them!

• Denise Marchand
    hace 4 años

• suezbell
    hace 4 años

If you decide on the black doors groveraxle suggested, consider adding an elongated brass door handle with lock, a brass door knocker and brass numbers to each door as well.

Would not paint or white wash the brick -- that would be to do over and over and over again in the future. A real turn off rather than a selling point.

• Denise Marchand
    hace 4 años

Instead of an actual awning, a striped valance would work too. Also would be less expensive and simple with a big impact.

• PRO
    Maguire
    hace 4 años

The posts extending beyond the roof and stair stepped tops on the vertical walls are probably more than you have funds to change but if you do, please get a pro involved.

I typically wouldn’t recommend painting the brick but in this case I absolutely would limewash with a product like Romabio (it penetrates the brick so won’t peel). It will update the dated brick and the obvious large patched grout areas will disappear.

I’d also change out the ceiling fixtures for more contemporary ORB adding an ORB light fixture on the wall next to each front door. Trim out the doors and paint them a charcoal color.

Trade the tall lamps in front for some much lower, less conspicuous lighting, and add some greenery in front of the wall near the parking lot and the area around the umbrellas.

Best of luck getting all 76 on board with updating the building! Baby steps.

• greenfish1234
    hace 4 años

Well shutters are a hard no. And I couldn’t agree more that your entire budget could be spent on landscaping and still not be enough. It really feels like a concrete jungle. Do you own the parking lot? I would be willing to give up paking spaces for islands of greenery. Definitely take the advice to hire a pro to design, install, and maintain. Along with hydrangea I love beach roses for their ease of maintenance, smell, and attractiveness to birds.

I love Denise‘s ideas (hi Denise!)

I was anti-paint until her photos. I could see a no-maintenance limewash working with navy accents and LOTS of greenery. If not, the doors, windows, and railings need to be painted/replaced to reduce the contrast with the brick. I don’t think colonial trim is going to do this place any favors. Glass railings would be a pricy but modern update if combined with new storm doors (honestly do you NEED storm doors? Are there even bugs at the shore any more? :/ ) and other modern updates.

• greenfish1234
    hace 4 años

Oh yeah and I would NOT draw attention to those crazy columns!!

• Snaggy
    hace 4 años

Sorry the Black that groveraxle did makes them look like black holes !

• partim
    hace 4 años

A good condo board will be reluctant to make any expensive decorating changes. People will not agree on whether the money spent will be recouped on resale, especially since some members may not be planning to sell for a long time. By that time styles may change, or the redecoration may need to be refreshed anyway. It's different than the decision for an individual non-condo homeowner.

• keith Dcil
    hace 4 años

I like Grover’s example changing the white railings, trim and doors to black. The current white clashes badly with the brick color.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 4 años

I think the black to too harsh and predictable. A charcoal grey brings out the best in the brick IMO.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.