Houzz Logo Print
ms_epi21

Need advice on how to hide bump out in living room

Stacy Davlin
hace 4 años

Hello houzz Community,

Just bought a house that has a really ugly bump out all the way across the back wall of the living room. Originally, we thought we could remove it, but it is actually concrete and serves as part of the foundation for the original house. Our next thought was to raise the floor to that height, but we can't do that due to a masonry fireplace that would cost too much to raise. The last option is to hide it. My husband suggested bookcases, but I don't want an entire wall of bookcases when we no longer buy books! Any other thoughts? The length of the bump out is approximately 20 feet, and there is a staircase railing approximately 4 feet above it (see photos).

Comentarios (5)

• Suki Mom
    hace 4 años

Do you have any collections like pottery or framed photos you could display?

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 4 años

I like to see the rest of the space , what does the stair railing go over a wall space How about making that ledge the TV space

• erinsean
    hace 4 años

Cover it with wood (paneling, or laminate that matches your stair railing. Then use it for your TV space, or put cushions on part of it for use as a bench, or put a bookcase on part of it or on part of it put a piece of furniture on it with drawers. I think with the bump out covered in wood, you could do a lot with it. May even be able to put a desk against the back of wall above the bump out....fastened to the wall, with ordinary legs in front to the floor.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

It's a plus not a negative. See all these rooms with shelves or furniture elements in the same location. Your room requires a different furniture layout.

• PRO
    GARY FINLEY
    hace 4 años

with your bump-out is not going away, it needs to not have interest drawn to it. Blend it in!. The trim/railing and cabinetry (wood elements) should all be painted a slight contrast to the wall color. The wood paneling should be removed and that will allow the ugly seam above the exterior glass door to be gone. As for the bump-out finish it with wood (top and front and side if there is a side). Paint the wood as the other trim. Unless you are willing to spend a great deal on recreating the railing and doing a great deal of construction these ideas may be your best out ?

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.