Houzz Logo Print
kpenni

Help! Boring Living Room and Fireplace with Asymmetrical Wall/Ceiling

kpenni
hace 4 años
última modificación:hace 4 años

Hi Everyone!

I'm working on updating our living room. We want to paint the walls gray and update the fireplace wall. There is just too much tan/beige. We can add a mantle, and change the drapes, pillows and the painting above the couch. We might also change the couch.

I would really appreciate any suggestions. The room is asymmetrical so we can't move the TV over to the side anymore and we need to keep the fireplace surround pretty much in the same place (We can raise the TV a little and bring the fireplace surround up slightly). I really like the look of gray walls with a brown couch. Here are some photos of how it looks now...

Here is a picture of the look I like:

Thank you for any help/suggestions!!!

Comentarios (44)

• PRO
    Lindsay Lausch Interior Design
    hace 4 años

I suggest cladding the entire 2 sided angled wall in stone and then creating a stone surround for your fireplace. Then you can paint the walls a grey tone. I would also suggest a horizontal piece above the sofa. The one you have now looks out of place and unproportionate to the space.

kpenni agradeció a Lindsay Lausch Interior Design
  • kpenni
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thank you Lindsay! Do you think the cream stone wall will look ok with the gray walls? It's a pretty small space (it might be hard to tell the size from the pictures). Do you think the stone wall would be overwhelming? I completely agree about the painting. We're definitely going to change that.

• PRO
    Lindsay Lausch Interior Design
    hace 4 años

Yes, definitely! Do you know what color grey you want to paint your walls? I’d love to help you fine tune your design! Email me, it’s easier! Lindsay@lindsaylausch.com

kpenni agradeció a Lindsay Lausch Interior Design
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

penni, You could really jazz up the wall any way you wanted. take a look at some of these and see what you like. (I would do either a light stone or porcelain tile, and take it all the way up. I also like the idea of extending a hearth that looks like a bench all the way over to the right. Kind of like this one

yours would be angled a bit differently, but this gives you the idea..

if you want more of the gray, this top split face ledger stone would be pretty.

some other design ideas:

I love the idea of the built-in media/shelving.

You could still do your stone work on the fireplace corner

I also love the usage of the is earthenware Zellige tile. looks beautiful w/the white walls. (comes in all colors. Cle'Tile)

kpenni agradeció a Beth H. :
  • njmomma
    hace 4 años

following

• kpenni
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thank you Manon! It's funny, we tried the plain wall before we added the surround. I think maybe because it was tan and such a big wall, it just swallowed the small fireplace and looked big and tan (lol). White somehow looks so much more modern and sleek. I like it, but we're going for a more masculine RH look, not quite so modern. We will eventually change the sofa to a sectional and add chairs, so hopefully that will mix it up a bit. Thank you for the suggestion for the art. We'll work on that too.

• kpenni
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Hi Beth H! Thanks so much for the great suggestions! I really like the look for the first picture. It's clean, but still adds interest. If we went to the ceiling with the tile, we'd have to do the whole wall otherwise the TV would sit halfway on the sheet rock and half on the tile. I see you suggested light stone, do you mean light gray? I like the dark gray, but do you think it would be ok for the small room or would it be overwhelming? Unfortunately, the room is skinny front to back, so no room for built-ins. I also really like the top gray split face ledger.

• RedRyder
    hace 4 años

Following

• wsea
    hace 4 años

I know you said the tv needs to remain centered but it’s throwing the whole area off. Move it to the right and lower it significantly. It will really help balance the fireplace wall better and be much better for viewing,

kpenni agradeció a wsea
  • kpenni
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thanks for the suggestion wsea. I wish we could do that. It might be hard to tell from the pics, but one of the problems is that the side of the room opposite the TV wall is centered to the fireplace, so if we moved the TV over, it would be facing just the one chair and no one sitting in the couch or the other chair would be able to see it. As it is, anyone sitting in the one chair can hardly see it.

• wsea
    hace 4 años

Maybe post a layout. Right now the room is set up for looking at the tv and fireplace only. No one faces each other for conversation.

kpenni agradeció a wsea
  • kpenni
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Here's the view from the middle of the couch. Hope this helps!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 4 años

View form the sofa is helpful, but turn the phone sideways to capture the complete wall

View of floor is not necessary.

kpenni agradeció a BeverlyFLADeziner
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 4 años

It's going to take more than paint to fix that wall.

The scale of your current furniture, though I'm sure it's comforatable, is way too large for the scale of this room and your house. Every piece of furniture doesn't need to be the size of a small elephant to be comfortable. Plus if the furniture is a bit smaller, you can get in more and varied pieces.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 4 años

the tv is mounted too high. from floor to the middle of the tv, should be about 60" (for a 55" tv)

so you can't move it to the right (and down) because it will be off for viewing from the sofa?

what's throwing the look off is the partially tiled portion, and the fact that you have the tv over a corner of the tiled part. looks off.

so, either tile it like this and move the tv over

Or, tile the entire wall

(or, remove the tile altogether and just have drywall.) But in any case, lower the tv about a foot.

I understand that moving the sofa to the right means it ends up in front of the chair, but is there another way to rearrange the furniture? it would solve so many issues if you could just move it over a foot (and down a foot!)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 4 años

To get down to the bare bones I have removed the stone. Sound bars have replaced all those various speakers you have placed on your wall.

Here is the wall with the corner highlighted with paint.

• Kendrah
    hace 4 años

My heart cringed just a tiny bit when I read this: "No one faces each other for conversation." Maybe if they are just focused on the TV it doesn't matter so much what the room looks like? I'm not being mean, just observing and wondering.

kpenni agradeció a Kendrah
  • castlebari
    hace 4 años

Love your room project! I truly appreciate your dilemma. Consider lowering your tv, moving it to the right...but mounting it on a swivel bracket so it can be pointed into the center of the room when it is being watched. Everyone wins!

kpenni agradeció a castlebari
  • kpenni
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thank you all so much! I did a rough sketch of the layout of the room. It's NOT to scale, but hoping you get the idea how off center the walls are. Some of the living room faces into the kitchen! The middle of the couch faces the middle of the fireplace.

That's a big part of the dilemma. We don't watch a whole lot of TV, but that's pretty much all we do when we're in there, so we'd like to be able to see it easily. And yes, we can still talk to eachother. Hope you can tell if we move the tv to the right, the only person who could see it would the one sitting on the far right.

• kpenni
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Beverly, I love your post and completely agree, it is going to take a lot more than paint! The elephant part is funny too! We are changing the furniture. I'd like to find a knock off of this RH Maxwell in a chocolate/espresso color and add a couple of chairs on the window side.

• kpenni
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Here are some views from the different seating areas they way they are now.

Middle of the couch with camera turned wide (that's as much as it will cover because the room is skinny front to back).

View from right chair facing forward, no angle:

View from Left chair facing forward:

• kpenni
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Castlebari- Thank you!! We thought about mounting the tv on a swivel bracket, but worried it might make the tv stick out too far because the room is SO skinny and small. But, that actually may be the best option and we will definitely reconsider it.

Beverly- your renderings really help! Do sound bars work as well as surround sound? Might have to convince my husband!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 4 años

Surround sound might still be appropriate for a theatre room, but that is not what you have.

You can test them at Best Buy or Costco and so much easier to live with these days and can be purchased for about $120. Besides, not every movie is Top Gun!

As a personal note, now that I no longer have cable, but an Amazon Firestick, I no longer have any boxes that I need to hide. It really frees you from the requirement of a TV unit under the TV to hold the one lousy cable box or DVD Blue Ray unit.

• kpenni
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

I was able to talk the hubby into moving the tv to the right on a swivel mount!!! So excited! That opens up more options.

If we do tile or stone up to the ceiling (keeping the paint a warm light gray like Revere Pewter), does anyone have any suggestions on the stone or tile?

Thanks!!!

• kpenni
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Beth H, I reread your messages and I do like the light gray split face ledger in your picture. Do you know where it's from? Is that sort of a midcentury modern look? Do you guys like honed or the rougher stacked stone?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 4 años

this one? the name is on the picture. I found it at my tile store, but I'm sure any big tile place could get it for you

they had a entire wall of diff choices just for fireplace and exterior homes. some beautiful choices.

I like more of the honed look. the rough cut seems to have had it's day.

and yes, it could be mid century, or it could go more contemporary. just depends how you style everything.

I love the black. with a walnut mantel it would look stunning.

also called Glacial Black

or you could do something like these

this one is Silver Travertine

• kpenni
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thanks Beth H!! I love the more medium gray one with the palm plant in the picture and also the one in the shower. I like that they're more linear. Any idea what those are?

• partim
    hace 4 años

I think that with a warm light grey like BM Edgecomb Gray that your existing tile would look very good. I wish I had the skills to mock it up. but here is a Houzz pic with a fireplace that is similar, with Edgecomb Gray paint. Looks good I think. And the simplest solution, so see if you like it.

This solution also does not require you to move your TV. So your DH will be happy too, they need to have input. My only suggestion for the TV area is that the long low table is too low. Can you replace it with a wood shelf or 2 below the TV, that fits all the components?

kpenni agradeció a partim
  • PRO
    SJS Interiors
    hace 4 años

Gray has many moods. Choose a gray with brown tones. The fireplace and the tv seem to be competing with the same space. You can’t move the tv over and with your speakers you could not extend the fireplace surround up to the ceiling. You could add a grouping of art on the wall around the tv and up the wall. And maybe paint the surround the same color as the wall.

kpenni agradeció a SJS Interiors
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 4 años

looks like a black slate that hasn't been polished or sealed.

• kpenni
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thanks Partim! It's funny, I have that same photo saved. I really like that look too (especially the smooth tile)! Hubby is definitely ok with moving the tv and the tv doesn't fit centered over the fireplace. We could replace that bench. One thing I don't like is that our fireplace is so darn low! The bottom of the fireplace is only 6" off the ground. So you're thinking put a couple of shelves coming out to the right from more the middle of the fireplace? Would that look ok if the tv was shifted over to the right?

• kpenni
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

SJS, If we get a sound bar or possibly put the speakers below the tv, maybe that would work to extend the stone up to ceiling. Kind of like this...

• PRO
    SJS Interiors
    hace 4 años

If it’s possible to move the speakers so the fireplace surround could go up to the ceiling it would be a nice focal point and the tv would have its own space

kpenni agradeció a SJS Interiors
  • kpenni
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Great, thanks! Now just gotta decide on the stone. I'm going to get some samples. I really appreciate everyone's help and suggestions!

• jbtanyderi
    hace 4 años

The screen is already too high.

kpenni agradeció a jbtanyderi
  • PRO
    Anthony Concrete Design Inc
    hace 4 años

Have you considered a concrete fireplace surround? You could simply focus on the area around the fireplace as it currently is, perhaps incorporate a concrete mantel or cantilevered hearth or you could install the concrete panels over the entire wall and create a feature wall including the tv and fireplace.

kpenni agradeció a Anthony Concrete Design Inc
  • kpenni
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Yes, we will definitely move the tv down when we move it over.

Thanks for the suggestion Anthony. I hadn't thought of concrete.

• kpenni
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Does anyone have any idea what this stone is? I love that it's linear, has shades of gray and some warmth. It might look cool to do the fireplace up to the ceiling if we bump it out from the wall a little. Thanks!!

(317) Pinterest · Más información

• kpenni
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thank you for the suggestion James! I look into it.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 4 años

btw, it looks like a very rough cut slate/quartzite

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    hace 4 años

James, a history of your comments shows that you're mostly interested in promoting the replica MCM furniture sold at Manhattan Home Design. You wouldn't happen to work there or own the store, or be friends or partners (personally or professionally) with someone who is, would you?

Also, there have been more than a dozen BBB complaints in the past three years about the store you've been recommending, which I would find problematic if I were looking to buy something there.

Also, your recent posts in this thread and others sound very similar to some by Gabriella Robbins and Daniel Blake, who are also promoting MCM replica furniture in general, and the store in particular. Are all of you friends or partners in this venture?

• jbtanyderi
    hace 4 años

You’re seating more people with the love seat and chairs than you will with a space-eating sectional. Try for a trimmer style.

kpenni agradeció a jbtanyderi
  • kpenni
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Good point jabtnyderi! We'll probably do a sofa and chairs instead of a sectional. I like the photo because I think it demonstrates the grays and browns together as well as the masculine feel. Hope that wasn't confusing.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.