Houzz Logo Print
erin_kelly62

Covering Concrete Steps with Wood

Erin Kelly
hace 4 años
última modificación:hace 4 años

I have a fairly good idea how to do this project but my steps have these concrete sides. Any suggestions as to the best way to convert these old concrete steps into new wooden steps?

What I have:

What I would like:

Comentarios (13)

• greg_2015
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

Jackhammer the concrete out and start from scratch?

Build a little landing/deck extending out and then have the stairs go down from there?

A picture from further back might help with some options.

Erin Kelly agradeció a greg_2015
  • PRO
    AdvantageLumber.com
    hace 4 años

Wood over concrete tends to suffer from moisture issues (cupping, warping, etc.), so to do it properly I would recommend replacing the concrete steps rather than covering them.

If that's absolutely not an option, then I would recommend using thick, narrow boards since they have better warp resistance.

Erin Kelly agradeció a AdvantageLumber.com
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 4 años

Perhaps consider fixing the concrete or having thin set pavers installed over the concrete.

Erin Kelly agradeció a BeverlyFLADeziner
  • Erin Kelly
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

So it seems overall people do not think covering the steps with wood is safe. But would covering them with pavers be unsafe for the same reasoning?

If not, where could I buy them? I tried doing research on this to find more information about covering them with pavers. Does anyone have a good instructional website?

• Erin Kelly
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Side note this is an older picture of the front of my house. We have dug out a driveway where the arrow is. The steps that are circled are the ones that i am trying to fix. So far I have just patched them but they are still pretty uneven. Basically I am just looking to easily and affordably make them look a little nicer to sell the house. We have jacked out the walkway (where the X is) and poured a new slab. The steps by road need to be fixed with new concrete because they are some rather large holes.

• Jake The Wonderdog
    hace 4 años

Anything you do to cover them over will be half-baked. Hire someone to redo the concrete.

Erin Kelly agradeció a Jake The Wonderdog
  • greg_2015
    hace 4 años

If you are going to be fixing the steps by the road with concrete, why not just fix the steps by the house at the same time? Why do something different?

Patch and skim coat the whole thing. Then it all looks uniform.

Erin Kelly agradeció a greg_2015
  • hazelcraddock
    hace 4 años

We have used exterior clay look pavers (they are thin) set in exterior paving motar and also used them to face the step fronts (BeverlyFL's 2nd photo.) It didn't make them a trip hazard. Another house we set paver bricks that were about an 1" thick over the concrete and two steps down with a brick landing pad at the bottom (BeverlyFL's last photo.) We have hot summers and below freezing winters. Both held up well. Have also built a cedar deck out back door but not over concrete. Wooden steps over your concrete would be slippery in our weather. Depending on your climate and building codes you still have to put footings below frost line.

Erin Kelly agradeció a hazelcraddock
  • Erin Kelly
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Well on the top stairs I would have to strip the paint then resurface then paint then seal it ... I just thought covering them with wood would be easiest. Also, Ive never seen painted concrete look nice

• kudzu9
    hace 4 años

Erin-

What you think of as the most difficult approach -- removing those steps and putting in new steps -- is probably the easiest. The easy solutions you are looking for probably will require more time, expense, and fiddling to make them safe and long-lasting than biting the bullet and doing it right.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 4 años

It's not that the wood is not safe...........it's not the correct material with your brick bungalow home. This is not a DIY first time project. Don't be offended, but from the looks of it, you're no DIY kind of person.

Call a paver company that does this day in and day out. They have a better selection of materials than what will be available you to and have experts and the equipment for cutting concrete pavers.

Or call a concrete contractor and have the whole staircase evaluated to see if it can be salvaged or if it needs to be replaced because it doesn't look very good.

• User
    hace 4 años

You need a concrete contractor. Get over the idea of hacking this. That would be a giant turnoff to your buyers. Freshly and correctly done steps would be an asset. Especially if the rest of the neighborhood still has the old wonky ones that they haven’t taken care of yet.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.