Houzz Logo Print
jeanjeanremodelmachine

Tadelakt plaster instead of tile?

Mittens Cat
hace 4 años

I love the look of Tadelakt plaster from Morocco and wondering if anyone has experience with it. My son gets one wish in our remodel project and he chose deep blue tile for his bathroom vanity wall. But once I showed him some photos of Tadelakt, he was sold. Now, of course, I find out Tadelakt can be far more expensive than tile, LOL.

I guess American-sourced lime plaster can be a budget-friendly alternative, if sealed with wax or other natural substance. Anyone have thoughts? He'd like a blue such as this:

Harbor House · Más información

Comentarios (7)

• User
    hace 4 años

The typical comment is use lime plaster where you’d use paint and Tadelakt where you’d use tile.

Mittens Cat agradeció a User
  • MongoCT
    hace 4 años

It's appropriate for a shower, but care is needed when cleaning, harsh chemical cleaners can harm the limestone and destroy the waterproofing characteristics of the surface.

Your installer should give you care advice. Generally, weekly cleaning with a soap. It helps to recondition the surface.

I prefer to install over floated mud walls. That way there will be no cracking in the corners or any other changes of plane.

It is tedious to do correctly. It'd be best to find an installer where this is their profession. It's not a simple lime plaster coat that most anyone can do.

For average folk, I'd put in in a master bath, or guest bath. In just any kids' bath? Not if they're young and crazy. Or if they are apathetic teens. Damage to the wall can render it a do-over.

Good thing is your son already appears to be vested in the process.

Good luck!

• csch
    hace 4 años

If you are still looking at doing this project, I don’t have any experience with Tadelakt but while I was researching lime plasters this is a company I found: https://www.coloratelierpaint.com/product-page/shower-plaster-1

they say their product can be tinted in addition to their existing colors and for a real Moroccan blue you might need pure ultramarine http://www.bioshieldpaint.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=302

Mittens Cat agradeció a csch
  • Mittens Cat
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

@csch, we ended up going with a beautiful blue tile (Seneca Sea Glass) and are happy with the outcome! (But some day, I will get my Tadelakt wall!)

• Tata García
    hace 3 años

would anyone recommend this plaster for kitchen backsplah?

Mittens Cat agradeció a Tata García
  • Mittens Cat
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

@Tata García, I've been wondering the same! I'm guessing since it's used inside showers (when done correctly) it should be no problem for a backsplash.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.