Houzz Logo Print
d_j__doss

What should I put on bathroom walls with reclaimed barnwood?

D.J. Doss
hace 4 años
última modificación:hace 4 años

I'm remodeling my moms bathroom and she wanted the farmhouse look. So we did barnwood 36 inches up from floor. Now shes trying figure out what do with rest wall. We put corrugated metal on ceiling. Should we paint, use faux white wash brick paneling, or a subway tile looking paneling? I think they would all look good. Any ideas or pictures of what you've done?! THANK YOU!!

Comentarios (29)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 4 años

So the bathroom looks like an outhouse now? It's customary to place brick at the bottom and wood on top, not vice versa.

• D.J. Doss
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

• branson4020
    hace 4 años

Pictures please- although I'm almost afraid to look.

• D.J. Doss
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

• D.J. Doss
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

If she had it her way it would look like an outhouse. Now on the left she had a walkin shower built and below the window a black and white clawfoot tub. She wanted the wood on bottom. That's how she liked .it

• User
    hace 4 años

Wood doesn’t belong in a shower, so rest assured that fakeouthouse look won’t last very long before the rot will force a change. In the meantime, the unfinished bit goes right along with the outhouse vibe. Leave it unfinished. By the time she’s ready for the next trulyterrible themepark fad, everything will have the authentic mold and rot of an unprotected exterior surface, and it’ll be time to do something else. 12th century chamber pot and rush floors? The single bathroom at the Palace of Versailles? A futuristic Star Trekian hidden everything?

• Nancy in Mich
    hace 4 años

Did she really use wood inside a shower?

Any rough wood in a bathroom will soon have deposits of dead skin, powder, or whatever else the occupants might use. I see it on the stepped edges of vanity doors with dark paint or stain all the time. The fancy profile of a traditional style door gets white dust all over the edges and needs to be dusted often. I can see that driftwood looking pretty messy in 6 months to a year, so I would coat it with something with a flat finish, just so when you have to vacuum the walls, it will at least come off easily. Toweling off, doffing and donning our pants, brushing hair, all these activities slough off a lot of dead skin cells and create a lot of dust.

• D.J. Doss
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

No there is no wood inside the shower. Just the bathroom walls. Were going to ppoly the wood when done. I'm just trying to figure out what to put on rest walls.

• D.J. Doss
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Greendesigns there is no wood inside the shower! And this isnt a fad theme for her. Her whole house was all wood rustic with the primitive farmhouse look my whole life. Way before the farmhouse "look" became a thing. Thank you though.

• Laura Hill
    hace 4 años

Hi, I’d carry the wood all the way up the wall behind the toilet. Just paint the other walls.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

Based on my experiences on vacation in the country, it seems that either tarpaper or newspaper on the walls. Accented with garden tools like rakes and shovels for decor should be just about right.

There is wallpaper designed to look like news paper, and tarpaper.............well you can purchase that at any hardware store.

• branson4020
    hace 4 años

" Were going to ppoly the wood when done"

10 coats of polyurethane would not be sufficient to make that a sanitary installation behind a toilet.

• suzyq53
    hace 4 años

How fun? I'd just keep going with the wood behind the toilet.

• D.J. Doss
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Branson, what would u suggest then? No one is peeing on the walls.

• User
    hace 4 años

Continue the theme with Great Abandoned and Mobile Homes photo series. Suitably framed in Rusty metal frames.

• D.J. Doss
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Beverly thank you for your help. Think shes wanting a more modern industrial farm look.

• decoenthusiaste
    hace 4 años

I agree with Beverly about the old newspaper idea.

• Tara
    hace 4 años

Just paint the rest of the walls. You said there is now a claw foot tub under the window, so maybe subway tile around the tub? Not sure how that would look - you could put up a sample and see. Finish the wood with something used for exterior wood (wooden houses have withstood rain and storms all these years) - surely it will withstand the moisture in a bathroom.

D.J. Doss agradeció a Tara
  • justlol
    hace 4 años

I think the "old newspaper" idea sounds cute.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 4 años

Well, Mom has been pretty opinionated about everything else, so let Mom decide what might be 'modern' in her mind.

• PRO
    Dream Home Finishers
    hace 4 años

Skim coat walls smooth no texture bright light matte paint. The contrast of light and dark as well as rustic and smooth is nice

D.J. Doss agradeció a Dream Home Finishers
  • PRO
    Dream Home Finishers
    hace 4 años

Or wall paper, it’s coming back.

D.J. Doss agradeció a Dream Home Finishers
  • Josie23: Zone 5: WI
    hace 4 años

I like the old newspaper idea. In fact when I was little my mom wallpapered her small sewing room with real newspapers, and some kind of clear topcoat. Over time it slowly turned yellow but you could still read the dates and articles. There was one photo that was right above our toy box that showed a head shot of 2 astronaughts one was upright and his partner was upside down next to him. The headline read "Unusual Pose for Space Buddies" That was over 30 years ago and I still remember that news photo!

D.J. Doss agradeció a Josie23: Zone 5: WI
  • D.J. Doss
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thank you barncatz. I was thinking the same thing!!! I'm trying to stay positive and be nice back but man I've gotten some negative feedback. :(

• flyr4fun
    hace 4 años

Please rethink your barnwood paneling for health and cleanliness reasons. Go with porcelain tiles that look like barnwood, they are more appropriate for a wet environment. Especially near a toilet. Use your barn wood to build accessory shelves or like items for decor purposes.

• areyano_cs
    hace 4 años

D.J. Doss, I want to commend your forbearance with the rude, sarcastic comments you have received. It is unfortunate and it’s one reason I will never post an issue and/or dilemma, although I will offer comments if I feel I can help. Do your best to please your mother. I have many happy memories of my mom gluing newspaper on the walls of the old shack we lived in using flour paste. And we did have an actual outhouse at the time. Good luck with your project.

D.J. Doss agradeció a areyano_cs
  • barncatz
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

DJ, this is along the lines that I was thinking of. I like the large, white rectangular tiles as a complement.

( PS I just realized we put corrugated meral on our screen porch ceiling and it's adorable.)

D.J. Doss agradeció a barncatz
  • jupidupi
    hace 4 años

Reminds me of a bathroom I had right out of college. The landlord was a do-it-yourselfer who believed in using up bits and pieces from leftover projects. The shower, which was not large, had cedar shingle walls! I had to be careful every time I showered not to get splinters in my skin. Also, roaches had never heard that they were not supposed to like cedar. They made their homes in those shingles. But as far as matching, I painted the walls a clay color and it looked good, in spite of the shingles.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.