Houzz Logo Print
becky_correia

How to stop water splashing and pooling at kitchen and bathroom sink?

Becky C
hace 4 años

Every sink in the house I rent has the same problem: water pools around the faucet and handles. This is not from the faucet leaking, I’m assuming it’s the design/size/location of faucet and type/shape of sink. I’m all for purchasing a new faucet for each sink if that’s my only option as my concern is that long term this will cause mold due to the poor craftsmanship of the builder’s installation and a lack of seals among other instances in many areas of the house. Photos of sinks and faucets included. Experienced feedback is welcomed. Thanks!

Comentarios (24)

• Usuario de Houzz-955941711
    hace 4 años

Even if there's no leak, some water will drip off of wet hands when you adjust or turn off the faucets. Being a flat surface, the water will remain there instead of running off to the sink. We keep a sponge there to wipe around the sink when done.

• Joe T.
    hace 4 años

^^ This. There's no leak; it's from dripping hands.

• User
    hace 4 años

The common denominator has nothing to do with faucet style or bowl style. The common denominator is you. You’re the splasher, and you need to change how you use the faucets.

• just_janni
    hace 4 años

For the center set faucet, you can adjust it so that the on / off handle faces forward. That way dripping hands will be in the sink and not on the counter.

Neighbor did that and I thought it was a great idea - will incorporate into new house.

• poorgirl
    hace 4 años

The issue is with the distance between the spout of the faucet and the bottom of the neck , they are not deep enough. You can purchase faucets that come into the sink farther. If you look at the kitchen faucet the distance between the spout and the neck isn’t enough. The bathroom spout is short and stubby where you can purchase a longer necked faucet.

• 2ManyDiversions
    hace 4 años

We have a laundry room with a wide, deep utility sink. The faucet is 1/4" from the edge of the sink. The spout protrudes out quite far. The handles are your average handles - and again, closer to the edge than the norm. It's exactly like every other sink in the house. No leaks, but simply water dripping from hands and fingers when the faucets are turned off. Either leave the water running while you dry you hands (incredibly wasteful ), or use a towel to dab up around the faucet when finished. I always do. DH never does and it drives me crazy.

• Nidnay
    hace 4 años

There will usually be a little splashing from washing hands and adjusting the temp with wet hands even with good configurations. Also, water drips from your hands onto the handles and counter even with a front facing single handle unless you’re super careful. The reach of the bathroom faucet you posted is much too short. But even with such a short spout, if you lower your hands further down into the bowl of the sink there will be a lot less splashing. The same is true with a kitchen sink....if you lower what you’re washing deeper into the sink, splashing will be greatly diminished.

• Nancy in Mich
    hace 4 años

Since I have a walnut counter in my bathroom now, I keep a cloth on a towel bar installed under the sink and I wipe with every use.

• pammykb
    hace 4 años

I agree with others who say it’s from wet hands. After hand washing, if I don’t give my hands a couple of shakes over the sink to rid them of excess water before I reach for the handle, I also have a pool of water at the back of the bench top.

You could replace your existing faucet with one that has an infrared motion sensor. This would leave your hands over the sink to drip but your hands will always be wet when reaching for the hand towel.

• shayshay1020
    hace 3 años

Is there an actual product one can buy to put around the sink to soak up water besides keeping a rag there? Thanks

• Nancy in Mich
    hace 3 años

I have nev

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    hace 3 años

Water will always splash and puddle...Wipe it after use or don't use sinks at all.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    hace 3 años

The sinks are improperly installed in the above pictures. They should be pulled as far forward as possible; those are not. Get the Delta faucet with the splashless sprayer to reduce overspray please.

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    hace 3 años

@Joe That kitchen sink looks undersized.

• Phantom Vain
    hace 3 años

You need a faucet extender. I had this problem too

• Usuario de Houzz-67163937
    hace 3 años

I also can't believe somebody doesn't make a 'tap valance' with water proof backing to deal with this problem - it drives me mad, and I live in a high limescale area and if I don't catch it I get white shadows around the tap. Somebody make one so I can but it.

• newell224
    hace 3 años

The water collecting around the base of the kitchen faucet also drives me nuts! I love the sleek look of the faucet mounted on the countertop (like yours) but in a vacation home, I had to keep a sponge under the handle to contain it. I just ordered a new quartz counter to update our home’s kitchen, and asked the designer if the manufacturer could do a slight bevel around the faucet hole to drain the water into the sink. The simple answer was it is not an option. They will cut grooves for drainboards on the sides, but that’s it. Maybe the manufacturers could add this as an option?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    hace 3 años

newell224:

Install a sink with a faucet deck please:

Splash away on stainless.

• Jessika Blair
    hace 3 años

This DIY helped me with the kitchen sink!

https://youtu.be/8d1Illa3ajk

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    hace 3 años

If you thought water on the countertop will damage granite, and it will, wait until you see what the water trapped between the stone and the bottom of that mat is going to do when it can't easily evaporate. The mat looks worse than damaged granite.

• Gloria Weaver
    hace 3 años

I seem to keep accidentally splashing water behind the sink when I wash my hands. It drives my grandma crazy. LOL!

• Nancy in Mich
    hace 2 años

Funny, but I don’t get water splashed either washing my hands or my face. Hubby splashes soapy drips all over at the same sink. One factor is whether one holds their hands down into the sink, versus holding them up above the sink. Pointing the tips of the fingers downward also helps contain splashes.

As for the faucet that washes your face, I find it silly. Spit and a Kleenex will do that much washing. When I want my face washed, I want a steaming hot damp washcloth for a sinus or migraine headache, a nice wet facecloth for wiping, or enough water to take off a facial cleanser. That little squirt would have my hot washcloth cold, make me stand there forever to get the facecloth wet, and would never get the cleanser off my face. The name makes it sounds like it wants to do a nasal flush.

• PRO
    Nasoni
    hace 2 años

Those who have tried our fountain faucets love them like Vic & Lisa in VA:

or Barb in MN:

and as you can see in the reviews on Nasoni's site, but to each his own.

The name comes from the nasone fountains of Rome, which you can see here. It's a 150-year-old idea that our founder saw and decided to implement in the bathroom, to solve his own concern of rinsing after brushing his teeth. He was tired of craning his neck every morning and evening after brushing, and with more than 25 years of experience in building nuclear-powered aircraft carriers and submarines, he was definitely up to the task. Nasoni's award-winning fountain faucets are patented in numerous countries now:

Enjoy your week!

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.