Houzz Logo Print
carlajstange

I have style confusion......

Flora Cali
hace 4 años

I just purchased my family home from my siblings - in Florida on the Gulf Coast where I grew up. I moved to California for college and never left but am thinking of keeping the Florida home for children and grandchildren and possibly retirement. The house was built in 1925 and is Craftsman stye, but has not had a lot of love since the 1970's. It's a beautiful large piece of property with old oaks, palms and pine trees - a bit wild. Not a tract home and not a modern home like so many in the area. I'm working with an architect, who thinks the house has "great bones" to update the windows to bring in more light and update the and interior. I had a new metal roof put on, and am in the process of updating the pool with new surface and decking. Ok, so it's a craftsman, which wouldn't be my first choice as a style. I ask myself what I want - and this is what I came up with - Florida Craftsman: a touch of California (not too beachy but laid back - and relaxed mid-century modern. The house has very little furniture, wood floors so it's a work in progress. Will it work??

Comentarios (27)

• Oliviag
    hace 4 años

Flora, if you posted a photo, it's not showing. Sometimes it works better in comments.

• Oliviag
    hace 4 años

And, I am glad you're saving a bit of Florida heritage. Make it yours.

• calidesign
    hace 4 años

Sounds great.

• Elaine Ricci
    hace 4 años

Pics, please -- both photos of your home and inspiration photos!

• iheartsix
    hace 4 años

I live in Florida, I see these types of houses you’re describing - I’d love to have one. Character galore. I agree, embrace and make it your own.

• iheartsix
    hace 4 años

...and embrace the trees, especially the Mossy Oaks. :)

• Flora Cali
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

For some reason I'm unable to upload photos....:(

• groveraxle
    hace 4 años

Photos have to be in .jpg format and you have to make sure they have fully loaded, that is they are no longer grayed out, before you hit the submit button.

• groveraxle
    hace 4 años

A 1925 Craftsman is likely to have lots of details you wouldn't duplicate today. It would be a shame to sacrifice them in an attempt to make the home something it's not.

• Flora Cali
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

• decoenthusiaste
    hace 4 años

What's the square footage; how many bedrooms/baths? Yes the windows do need an upgrade. Why don't you post what your architect came up with too; especially the floorplan.

• groveraxle
    hace 4 años

OK, so it's barely Craftsman, at least on the outside. It actually looks more like a beach cottage to me. Now your new style designation of "Florida Craftsman" makes sense. If you have architect renderings, it would be interesting to see what her vision is.

• decoenthusiaste
    hace 4 años

Here are some nice FLA-esque styles you might incorporate.

• groveraxle
    hace 4 años

This is probably less Florida and more Craftsman than you envisioned.

Flora Cali agradeció a groveraxle
  • Flora Cali
    Autor original
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

It's 1900 square feet, on an acre. We are about 3 miles from the beach - it originally was in an orange grove and probably the foreman's home. I don't have plans yet. The windows above are spot on and I did ask that the front have some design change, a portico to give it some street appeal. The other change that we talked about was putting in sliding doors to the pool, which is in the back of the house. Next big decision will be paint color choices - will have the front door color "pop", maybe coral, or tangerine. I can see by posting here that I need to work on figuring out what I like for the inside since we won't be making huge changes to the roof line. The "pop out" on the right side is a closet in the master bedroom that was an add on and I think we can use some landscaping to soften it a bit. I will start looking at photos and gathering together ideas...I'm not a huge fan of mission style and I really want it to be "right".

• cpartist
    hace 4 años

Please don't remuddle this adorable house. Don't put in fake vinyl windows either. Replace the windows with those that pay homage to the house. (The ones that are there are not original.)

I suggest you go to the Facebook forum American Bungalow and post there for advice. Also do some research on craftsman bungalow houses.

I will tell you that I also live in SW FL and I looked for 2 years for a craftsman house in our area. We have lots except 99% of them were remuddeled to the point where they lost all their charm. People would remuddle with whatever was in style and trendy at the time and they ruined the houses.

If you keep the feel of the house you will if you ever decide to sell, get more for the house than if you remuddle it.

Here are some nice FLA-esque styles you might incorporate.

No. Just no. Builder's specials will really ruin the house.

Flora Cali agradeció a cpartist
  • Oliviag
    hace 4 años

Looks like Homassassa/Crystal River area to me, and so very charming. I love the true old Florida feeling of some of the charming old neighborhoods ip there.
    Groveraxle, the beagle was working overtime again. Looks great.

• cpartist
    hace 4 años

I like what Grover suggested.

• Oliviag
    hace 4 años

Flora, are the old floors still intact? Heart of pine?
    When you put on the metal roof, did they protect the bumpout side with giutters, or build out the eaves?

• Flora Cali
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

I will definitely get good windows and will try not to muddle. :) I've done quite a bit of research on the house, nothing in the city records but my sister and I have sleuthed quite a bit, nothing solid but we have a good idea. Will do re FB American Bungalow group. If you look closely in the pic you can see a gutter over the bump out - we will replace when we paint. There was some, but not a lot - of rot, etc. that we had repaired and replaced with the new roof. YES, the floors are all wood but we still have carpet to pull out. One room - which was always a jalousie screened porch and runs along the side of the house past the bumpout is completely lined with old pine. The architect went in the attic and got somewhat of an idea on how the house was added on to - looking at old flashing, roof joists. The only major changes my parents made in 60 years was the closet, changing out the front windows - they were screens and let in a lot of dirt I think my mom got tired of cleaning - and put in a pool. So....the inside is a challenge. I don't expect to have an "open concept" or anything like that but there are definitely some changes that need to be made. The bathrooms and kitchen are worn out. The ceilings in the house are high - 10 feet as I recall but the inside of the house feels big. Someone else asked - it's two smaller bedrooms, one big master; 2 bathrooms, kitchen and dining room, front "office", side porch. We think perhaps the kitchen was an early add on. A lot of older Florida homes had kitchens outside of the main house because of the heat.

• Oliviag
    hace 4 años

I think you may just have found the right partner in your architect, if he or she took the time to climb through the attic looking for the home's history. That made me smile.
    I'll look forward to seeing your progress. I have a soft spot for historic homes like yours. Welcome back to the Gulfcoast, Flora.

Flora Cali agradeció a Oliviag
  • PRO
    Let's Decorate
    hace 4 años

I think you have the right idea. Take your plans and go with it. I see much more cottage here than craftsman but I also agree with cpartist, don't take to much away from the original charm. It is adorable and I think the plans for use you have in store for it are wonderful! It will come to hold many memories, for you, your children, and your grand children, so make it yours and fill it with the things you love!! I love your door and landscaping Groveraxle!

Flora Cali agradeció a Let's Decorate
  • Oliviag
    hace 4 años

Groveraxle, the door is great! And the roses.
    Now this reminds me if a little cottage on Longboat Key's north end that we used to walk by all the time.
    It was painted a pale gray but not white, like sw snowbound, bright white trim and windows. and a sift peachy pink front door, like sw comical coral, sort of faded before its time, soft like a happy memory. White picket fence to keep people from cutting the lawn, but not tall enough to say you're not welcome to look.
    That was decades ago. I told my husband every time we walked by that I wanted to buy that house if it ever came up for sale.
    Life moves on. Never saw the house for sale... I just thought how happy the house must have made the owners every night when they came home, as it always made me smile.

Flora Cali agradeció a Oliviag
  • Flora Cali
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thank you all for responding and @Groveraxle for the photo!!!! It's lovely and gives me hope. I'll be back with photos!!!

• Sandplum1
    hace 4 años

Great job, Groveraxle!

• Flora Cali
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Yes, thank you all and Groveraxle - Thank you!!!

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.