Houzz Logo Print
sincerelymj

Advice for what type of sink

Mary Dragowski
hace 4 años

I'm remodeling the kitchen. I read reviews of good quality stainless steel sinks rusting. Does anyone have a SS sink brand for at least a year that doesn't rust? (I don't want to have to wipe it down alot). I wouldn't mind Silgranite or comparable because of the ease of cleaning, but I would want white and they look a little cheap in white. Does anyone have a white brand of granite sink that they like the look of? I have an integrated Corian sink for the last 30 years and I love it. By any chance can I get an undermount Corian sink with quartzite countertop? Do they still make Corian as good as they used to? Thanks so much!

Comentarios (11)

• PRO
    Anthony Perez
    hace 4 años

MJ

First a there are good quality stainless steel sinks that will not rust

for example the Ruvati (pictured below) I have use it for over 3 years, cleaning once per week and still looks good

as for your second question: there are white sinks that will not look cheap, I reccomend that you visit a showroom in your area to have a better idea

And lastly there are white Corian fabricators still that can do an under-mount sink on a Quartzite counter top, again, it will depend on your location, Corian's quality still remains solid

Mary Dragowski agradeció a Anthony Perez
  • M
    hace 4 años

I have the perfect product for you. But you might not like it, as it'll be on the expensive side of things ($1500 and up).

Dino Rachiele makes amazing sinks. Once you have used one of those sinks, you'll never want to go back. The amount of attention to detail is insane.

He makes copper and stainless steel sinks. If you want something that is absolutely maintenance free, and you don't mind a natural and changing patina, then you'll love copper. It's a beautiful material. It's naturally antimicrobial. And it doesn't rust. It doesn't ever look factory new though. It'll always have a slightly changing surface.

If you prefer a more uniformly unchanging look, then stainless steel is great. As of a short while ago, Dino has switched to marine grade stainless steel. You'll be hard-pressed to get it to rust. We have his (slightly) older design which didn't use marine-grade steel just yet. I have seen it rust on rare occasions, whenever I treated it particularly poorly

This really only happened, because I left kosher salt and lemon juice sit on it for a few days. Stupid me. And it was just a tiny amount of surface rust that wiped right off.

Mary Dragowski agradeció a M
  • M Miller
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

^^Yes, $1500 to start, and up. Or, the OP could get a Kraus 16-gauge SS sink, very well reviewed here, comes with its grid for free, and pay around $400, or a Blanco Silgranit Super Single, also loved on this forum, and pay around $275. Or a Kohler Whitehaven for around $1,000 - still less than a custom Rachiele sink. Just want to give the OP a gauge of what things cost.

Mary Dragowski agradeció a M Miller
  • M
    hace 4 años

Stainless steel does not rust.

In most practical applications that's true. But in the strict sense of the word it isn't. Stainless steel is called stainless because it naturally forms a thin protective layer on its surface that prevents rusting. Under normal circumstances, this layer is pretty difficult to damage. But it is not impossible to do so.

There are several chemicals that take it right off. But the most common culprit in household use would be chlorides. In practice, this still takes some effort. But if you let salt sit on it for a long time, you'll see some amount of damage. And yes, if you let Barkeeper's Friend sit on it forever, it'll also cause stains.

These stains can usually be removed relatively easily though. And as I said, it takes effort.

On the other hand, we have a couple of stainless steel objects that are outside (e.g. house sign), and there is elevated salt content in the air around here, as we live within less than 10mi from the ocean. About once every year, I need to remove small amounts of rust from all these stainless objects.

Mary Dragowski agradeció a M
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    hace 4 años

"Does anyone have a white brand of granite sink that they like the look of?"

I like the Elkay Quartz Luxe, but I won't sell the white-white one, only the off white. I don't wanna hear about it.

"I have an integrated Corian sink for the last 30 years and I love it. By any chance can I get an undermount Corian sink with quartzite countertop?"

Yes.

"Do they still make Corian as good as they used to?"

DuPont used to make all Corian sinks out of acrylic; they're now using a polyester/acrylic blend. I can't say, but I'm not fond of the blends I've seen.

Mary Dragowski agradeció a Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

My stainless Blanco has been in here for 15 years!!!!!!!!! there is not one spec of rust, I have no client with a spec of rust on Blanco, or Franke or Moen.

I rinse, wipe , done and it gleams. That's after 15 years. But I've seen more than my share of icky coffee stained Corian, Fine for tops.........HATE it for sinks. Don't even say it Joe: ) I HATE it.

Ps.... White Silgranite ? Hate it. Looks like a laundry basin and I won't even use it there. I use stainless in the laundry too.

Mary Dragowski agradeció a JAN MOYER
  • Mary Dragowski
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thanks so much for this information. I really appreciate it!

• ll71
    hace 4 años

pelican

• Anne Duke
    hace 4 años

I’ve been using an Elkay for 5 years. After all the good reviews on Kraus I feel stupid for having invest info Elkay. Nevertheless I like it and it has never rusted.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    hace 4 años

Jan:

I can't help that you know people that can't scrub a sink.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.