Houzz Logo Print
castaway29

what is missing in my living room

castaway29
hace 4 años

I have zero imagination, unfortunately. Just bought those big paintings, which makes the room look better, but still very plain. I have a bigger couch like the love seat in the theater room and was wanting to move the media chest in the back and the couch under the painting. My husband does not like that idea. Ultimately I need a new sectional in the living room, just not sure where to place it, as my husband does not want to block the pass way on the left side and there are windows along the right side and I don't want it in front of the window. Overall I have the feeling something is missing.

Comentarios (15)

• lizziesma
    hace 4 años

You say media room so do you need this room for tv also? How do you wish to use this room? It has great natural lighting and beautiful floors which are wonderful to work with.

• castaway29
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

It's the living room. The former owner had the office/formal living room as a theater room with screen and projector and we left it as is and needed a couch for it, so we now only have the love seat in the living room.

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    hace 4 años

First off, sectionals are hard to work around over time. Unless you get one from Lovesac or similar, that can be reconfigured. How many people watch tv in there on a regular basis? In my house there is only one good space for tv watching (which is our thing, we love movies). That room is also the only big social space in the house. However the tv is not on when we have guests, we sit and talk and socialize without the tv on. So my space is set up for 2 people to watch tv, but for 4-8 to socialize.

If you could expound on how the room gets used, and maybe post a drawing with some dimensions it would be easier for people to give some suggestions.

• Allison0704
    hace 4 años

If you both are going to watch TV, then couch or pair of chairs need to face it. Can loveseat slide back any, to be farther away from TV? Artwork over console needs to be lower, and I would not put the horizontal piece on the same wall with horizontal TV. Those areas need vertical pieces or grouping.

• castaway29
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

At the moment not much at all. When we have guests over we sit at the kitchen table. The TV was there when we moved in. We watch TV in the theater room or our bedroom. I just want the room to look nice.

• pink_peony
    hace 4 años

Right off the bat These are the glaring things that stand out to me

1. everything in the room is hung too high.

2. What purpose does the end table serve ? its sitting all alone

3. a loveseat alone is too small for the space

4. fireplace/mantel is way to high to have a TV placed over it

5. lamp is too small for space

Questions

1. is this the room your front door opens into and if so where is the front door in relation to everything we are seeing

2. why is there and area rug under the plant?

Possible Solutions

1. place the TV on the console

2. place a sofa in front of the windows facing the TV

3. remove area rug under plant

4. if there is a matching sofa to this love seat keeping the love seat where it is and snugging it up to the sofa so arms meet but don't overlap will work, then place a round table at there with a nice lamp

5. Once furniture is in place move plant to left of fireplace in corner

6. place one large piece of art over fireplace. NOTHING art wise on walls at either side however a floor mirror on each side could work if you feel it looks empty, These would need to be large and tall

7. remove the vase with the dried arrangement in it completely

8. turn rug so it accommodates sofa and loveseat layout

Another option would be to get two smaller scaled chairs to sit where loveseat is with the sofa arrangement mentioned and move love seat out of the space.

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    hace 4 años

Then get rid of the tv, it’s off balance anyway. What are the dimensions of the room and how does it relate to the kitchen table where you do socialize at this point?

• pink_peony
    hace 4 años

Oh wait you don't need a TV in there? Then the solution is even more simple. Place sofa where console is with great art above it, add two chairs in front of window with round table between. Add a nice coffee table. Pull the TV down and out. if the console place a nice sized end table on each side of sofa with large lamps. lose console as it isnt needed in this layout

• castaway29
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Well... the furniture is from my old apartment, I did not want to mix and match with what my husband had, beside that it was old anyway, so he got rid of everything. We like to keep things simple and easy, so we used same holes to hang our pictures and did not mess with the TV.

The rug was in my bedroom, but then we got the plant and I did not want the pot to scratch the floor, we got the other rug later.

Don't have the dimensions on hand right now. No entrance door in the living room. Found the pictures from the listing, this is how the previous owner had the room set up.

• lizziesma
    hace 4 años

You can get stick on felted pads for the underside of the plant's pot so you won't need the rug.

• ladybug A 9a Houston area
    hace 4 años

The TV and the art by the TV is way totoo high. If you need the TV, can you put it on the side?

• junco East Georgia zone 8a
    hace 4 años

It is normal to like things simple and easy, but it has led to your feeling that something is missing in your room! So now you need to go back and implement some of these suggestions. Make the effort to remove the tv and lower the art. It will make a huge difference. I like the suggestion of one or two chairs in front of the window to make a conversation area with the loveseat.

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    hace 4 años

Agree everything in the room is hung too high except the curtains. You need to go up almost to the ceiling and get longer ones. It draws the eye up. Hanging a bamboo blind at the same height to cover the drywall above the window gives the illusion of taller windows.

• PRO
    Nandina Home & Design
    hace 4 años

If you need the TV in the room, place the TV where the current bigger artwork is. Then place the sofa where the windows are and the love seat can stay in the same place. Make sure you move the end table though and place in between the couch and love seat.

Columbia Timeless Transitional Home · Más información

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.