Houzz Logo Print
kaethy58

Best online rose supplier

I'm wanting cold hardy own root roses. What suppliers do you recommend?

Comentarios (25)

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    hace 4 años

rosefire ltd, Wisconsin roses, Northland, Palatine, Hortico and High Country Roses. I know these specialize in colder zones and are both own-root and grafted onto multiflora. They are many others that may carry roses for colder zones, but it's best to check. Quite a few people here garden in Z4/5 so maybe they'll pipe in.

• pippacovalent
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

High Country Roses

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    hace 4 años

High Country Roses, Northland Rosarium. Heirloom also has some, as does Antique Rose Emporium.

• rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)
    hace 4 años

I see you want cold hardy own root roses.

Not Palatine, unless you plan on propagating from cuttings. Which probably is illegal for most offerings.

hace 4 años

I miss the own roroute.Sorry,

• Moses, Pittsburgh, W. PA., zone 5/6, USA
    hace 4 años

At the moment High Country Roses is your best bet. The roses are smaller, but very reasonable. Not all the roses HCR sells are winter hardy without protection by any means, but the owner, a very affable fellow, is easy to communicate your needs with.

Rather than look for a specific nursery that sells predominantly own root, winter hardy roses, May I suggest you look for roses that have won the prestigious. ADR award. This award is given to roses that have passed a rigorous 3 yr. In ground trial in several test gardens in Germany. Such awarded roses are among the most disease resistant and winter hardy roses in commerce today. Many nurseries online sell own root ADR winners. I would look for ADR winner, own root roses regardless of who offers them for sale.

Moses

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    hace 4 años

Slightly off topic but in regards to High Country Roses, I placed an order with them this spring. They were very small compared to other shipments I received. What should I (and original poster) expect from them? Look good next season or is this more a two to three year wait?

The small size doesn’t bother me but it would be nice to have reasonable expectations.

hace 4 años

They grow so well they should look good next year. Occasional varieties are slower to develop but they get there.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    hace 4 años

Tina , I planted mine in the ground and they all took off within reason!! Only one stayed puny I thought but bunnies chomped it once and it was sow to recovery

• PRO
    Hummingbird Roses
    hace 4 años

What kind of variety's are you looking for Kathleen?

• Kathleen Smith SE michigan, Zone 6a
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Thanks for all the options. I'll be shopping for a while.

Hummingbird, I don't have a specific variety in mind. I want cold hardy because a few years ago in my neck of the woods, the ground froze 6 ft deep and several people had to replace their wells. Technically I'm in zone 4b, but don't trust that designation. I'm on the northern edge of Roscommon county.

Just got this property in the fall of 2017. The previous owners did very little planting. So I'm trying to get cold hardy basics. I've planted lilacs, forsythia, a hydrangea, and a few perennial flowers. I'm a lazy gardener, so don't want anything that needs a lot of special care. I don't have anything for a climber to grow on, so not that. Hubby likes red. I like fragrance, and anything other than red, LOL.

Looking at your website, I see varieties that I know nothing about. So I'm confused.

• lkayetwvz5
    hace 4 años

oursteelers - there is always big kudos for HCR so I too was a little disappointed in the size. I bought three the end of September and there was no way they could go in the ground here in z5 and survive the winter. They also had numerous yellow leaves which I thought was from travel although I paid extra for expedited shipping and they arrived in four days. However that yellowing of leaves has continued now for nine months. They just yellow from the base upward but don't drop, eventually turn tan and then fall off. I planted the one this spring and it got worse. I decided to move it to a sunnier location because I assumed it was too wet and shady where I put it. It's been a month and it still looks terrible and I doubt it will survive. The other two are still in big pots outside. Still yellowing leaves. One also has some strange growth that looks sort of like RRD but no red or thorny. It looks sort of like a feather duster if you can relate. Many leaflets coming out of a center but don't grow. I also was not that impressed with Hortico. All my bareroots arrived very late with 3-4 inches of white growth already started and all that shriveled up and died in the already 80 degree heat despite mounding up. I have some new growth on only one cane each and they are still struggling in the now 90 degree heat.

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    hace 4 años

kaye, I got four from them. Off the top of my head I remember MIP and SdlM, very small but otherwise ok. Nothing good or bad has happened on top so I’m hoping that means good things are happening in the dirt.

• suebelle_neworleans
    hace 4 años

Roses Unlimited always sends healthy nice looking plants. I think they could help you find out which ones are for your cold area. Great people to deal with. Never had a problem with them.

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    hace 4 años

My two picks are Northland Rosarium and Roses Unlimited. Northland specializes in cold zone roses. You will get good sized plants with good root systems from either nursery. Both are family run businesses and are eager to help you find what you're looking for. The Canadian roses are a good, safe bet to survive your winters. Many of those are hardy to zones 2 and 3.

hace 4 años

Ik, why did you have your plants delivered for fall delivery. I always considered that if he's even in my zone 6. I meant to say if he I hope you can understand what I'm trying to say sorry. Anyway it's hard to overwinter a small plant and while they do grow roots over the winter I feel it's better to plant them early spring. I ordered all mine in the fall for April delivery and they're doing great

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    hace 4 años

I’ve ordered about a dozen plants from High Country. All but one is thriving in my garden, and Matt very quickly replaced the one that didn’t make it. They are smaller, but very healthy. I like putting smaller plants in the ground, so that they can form well-shaped root balls. Bigger rootbound plants can fail to thrive if you don't untangle the root mass, the disturbance of which can also cause setback. I am in a warm climate however, and don’t have to worry about much frost. :-)

hace 4 años

Now would be a good time to plant potted roses in Michigan, Kathleen.

• Lisa Adams
    hace 4 años

Although I don’t have cold winter issues, I actually like the smaller sized containers that High Country Roses sends out. I find them easier to deal with, when it comes to digging the holes and planting them. The really large potted roses that I’ve purchased locally are a real pain to lug around, especially if they’re going on my slope. A 5 gallon rose does bring instant gratification, but digging a hole and installing a gopher cage of that size, is too much work for me these days.

I’ve been really happy with all my roses from High Country Roses, and when I’ve called and left a message, Matt returned my call promptly. He’s super helpful and friendly, too. I wouldn’t hesitate to call and ask him for some suggestions. He’s passionate about roses, and seems to really enjoy talking about them.

I’ve gotten many of my roses from Burlington Roses. She’s really good about responding to emails. I think she’d have some good suggestions, if you emailed her with your requirements. Her shipping prices can’t be beat, either.

Like I said, I don’t know anything about cold climate roses specifically, but I’ve been extremely satisfied with those two vendors in particular. Lisa

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    hace 4 años

I'm not convinced anyone currently sells what you are looking for - 2 year old own-root hardy roses. Given the choice, I think I'd take grafted roses from Palatine over bands from High Country. The smaller roses just won't grow enough during a short cool summer.

hace 4 años

I agree mad. Even here in zone 6 the smaller roses can have a hard time putting it on enough growth over the summer to get them through the winter. And that's not even a winter like a more Northerly winter. Usually I've been overwintering my smaller bands in an unheated area that adjoins my house, but not everyone has that available.

hace 4 años

I planted High Country Roses plants in Alaska in Spring or Summer and they made it through the Winter. I would not Fall plant in the North.

• nle3
    hace 4 años

Edmunds' roses have 50% off. I found some that I like but has never ordered from them before. I read online reviews and they are mixed reviews.

• ratdogheads z5b NH
    hace 4 años

I've gotten some pretty large plants from Heirloom (pricey!) and Northland Rosarium. High Country's sizes can be a bit inconsistent, I was surprised to receive some gallicas this year that could only described as bands...in the same order were two miniatures that were over a foot tall and in bloom. So it differs and I'd suggest calling to inquire about the size of the specific plants you're considering.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.