Houzz Logo Print
amcartolano

Kitchen Layout Dilemma ADVICE PLEASE

amcartolano
hace 4 años

Hello all,

We are having a new kitchen. I am wondering what is the overall consensus on a hob in an island across form a DW? I am reading about the triangle safe amounts of space between and around appliances. Any advice welcomed.

Comentarios (14)

• PRO
    Brandler London
    hace 4 años

Personally I really like hobs on Islands so that when you are cooking you can have a face to face conversation with your guests.

There is the obvious danger of splashing, however I have dealt with this in the past by having an upstand behind the hob and a projected worksurface above it which is at a height comfortable enough for someone at a stool to sit in front of.

I have also seen Islands where there is no upstand and this also seem to work without any major issues. Maybe a consideration between the two options is whether you have children who are likely to sit at the front of the Island.

• amcartolano
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Apologies for being unclear. Thanks for the comment. My main question was really about the safety of a DW opening and closing behind the hob area. The hob has to stay in the island but the DW can move. Just wondering if moving it is worth.

• PRO
    Brandler London
    hace 4 años

Is No. 5 your washing machine?? If so I would definitely swop the position of these two units as an easy fix. .... and possibly reverse units 7 & 8. I assume that the dishwasher and washing machine are integrated?

• amcartolano
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Basin is at window centered 6, 7 integrated DW. 5 is a recycle bin required in new build,..,.8 is integrated fridge freezer.

• PRO
    Renata Drumond Interior Design
    hace 4 años

Hi Amcartolano,

is there anyway you could put the DW on position 7 and the WMachine on either positions 1 or 2?

I do agree that the current position for the DW is not ideal

Best

Renata

Renata Drumond Interiors

• PRO
    Renata Drumond Interior Design
    hace 4 años

Absolutely right, Monica! that's what I meant, DW in position 5 instead.

amcartolano agradeció a Renata Drumond Interior Design
  • amcartolano
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Yes, that is exactly what I was thinking, too!

• PRO
    Brandler London
    hace 4 años

To be frank with you Amcartolano, the designer who suggested putting the dishwasher immediately behind the cooker must have been daydreaming! It is an accident waiting to happen!

• rinked
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

Slightly adjust your design.

1. Move the entire island outward. You'd still need to be able to safely pass the openend DW, even though in reality the dishwasher is mostly closed.. Aisle 90cm is a minimum without appliances, but with them go for 120cm. My guess is cabinet 3 is 100cm? If so, please place the oven in the tall cabinets and have drawers under the hob (looks nicer too).

2. Switch 5 and 7 and with other cabinet widths you can still have your sink centered in front of the window. DW is still next to the sink (I find that very practical) and closer to the uppers (nice for unloading), but not entirely in the corner (place to stand).

Below the same sink cabinet, but a smaller corner cabinet (50cm door instead of 60?).

And here 4x60cm doors (would be my preference, plus all appliances integrated) and the few cms you need to center the sink are in the corner cabinet's offset.

• Danny Jay
    hace 4 años

Hiya. It would be helpful if you could upload the floor plan of the house so I can get an idea of the flow around the house. Ergonomics are key and without understanding the layout, one cannot offer sensible options.

• amcartolano
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

• amcartolano
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Here is the floor plan as requested. Many thanks for the input.

• Danny Jay
    hace 4 años

You have a stunning hime and you really need to get this right. I would extend the worktop and units on the left hand side all the way through to the bifold doors. Put the fridge, tall unit and tall oven housing in the alcove on the right as you walk in. I'm not so sure you need an island unit and if you do really want one, I would not make it too big and imposing. use it as a work/prep station. If you need some further help with this, please get in contact via my bio.

amcartolano agradeció a Danny Jay
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.