Houzz Logo Print
sweetverve

Should I extend backsplash over doorway?

sweetverve
hace 4 años

Tiling of the kitchen backsplash is happening as we speak. Initially, I had decided not to run tile over the kitchen doorway, but now I am having doubts. Style is transitional, not farmhouse (which I - maybe wrongly - associate with fully tiled walls).
What so you think?

• Leave as is
  • Tile the whole wall: over doorway, down to countertop on the right side, all the way to the back wall
  • Tile the wall on the other side, leave area above doorway untiled

Comentarios (41)

• PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
    hace 4 años

If you're planning on adding a backsplash to the counter near the fridge I would carry it over the door. It's not too much extra space and it will make a big impact.

sweetverve agradeció a Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
  • LilliCraig
    hace 4 años
    It looks like the tiler left for lunch and didn’t come back. If you like the look a a full tiled wall, go for it. It would really be a great look.
    sweetverve agradeció a LilliCraig
  • PRO
    User
    hace 4 años

Definitely tile the whole wall. Your kitchen remodel is looking great!

sweetverve agradeció a User
  • mark_rachel
    hace 4 años

The whole wall. If you've already did that much, you might as well commit to the rest. Can you take a pic of the sink side?

sweetverve agradeció a mark_rachel
  • PRO
    FATHOM design company
    hace 4 años

Definitely tile above door if you're tiling that far up and planning on tiling the other side of the door.

sweetverve agradeció a FATHOM design company
  • sweetverve
    Autor original
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

Or this option - having the tile run only up to the hood, and no tile on upper part of the wall (pardon the crude mock-up). Tiler is not too happy to do this, as it will require rehabilitating the wall after tile removal (thankfully, they have not been grouted yet).

Another thing to point out, if we extend the tile all the way to the right, there will be a sliver that is left untiled, to the right of the doorway, below the counter. Will that look weird?

• LilliCraig
    hace 4 años
    Another good option.
    sweetverve agradeció a LilliCraig
  • Daniela Marino
    hace 4 años
    I would do what @sweetverve proposed
    sweetverve agradeció a Daniela Marino
  • PRO
    Brush Strokes Inc.
    hace 4 años

Yes it would look unfinished if you did not tile under the counter. You need to do the whole wall and I suggest the return on the right back to the fridge or the above option. Knowing where to start and stop tile is tricky, you have provided great visuals.

sweetverve agradeció a Brush Strokes Inc.
  • decoenthusiaste
    hace 4 años

A talented faux artist could paint that little sliver in a high gloss white and put "grout" lines on it. Could be cheaper to cut the tiles and finish that while you're at it.

sweetverve agradeció a decoenthusiaste
  • mark_rachel
    hace 4 años

You would need to tile there as well.

sweetverve agradeció a mark_rachel
  • Daniela Marino
    hace 4 años
    Jaja! I mean I prefer this option:
  • Daniela Marino
    hace 4 años
    Less trouble
  • suzyq53
    hace 4 años

Its a can of worms. What color wall paint are you using?

sweetverve agradeció a suzyq53
  • daisychain Zn3b
    hace 4 años

Love the full wall of tile. Don't think you need to do the sliver (and probably wouldn't be able to open the drawers?). Not a huge fan of the tile ending at the height of the hood. Looks choppy to me.

sweetverve agradeció a daisychain Zn3b
  • sweetverve
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Wall color is BM White Dove. Tried to match the tile color to the cabinet color, so that the white of the cabinets would not look "dirty" against the tile.

In all honesty, I think having the tile go only halfway up, to the level of the hood, would have been perfect. For some reason, in my mind, I was thinking it would visually split the wall in half, and not look as nice. If I had gone through the trouble of making a mock-up *before* the tilers started, I would've probably realized that was the best option.

The tiler was very very reluctant to pull up the tile already laid (he said he'd do it, but for $$$), so the simplest solution was to extend the tile above and to the other side of the doorway. (And yes, all the way down to the floor, thanks to many of you!)

I think this is my biggest regret so far in our months-long remodel. Lesson learned!

• User
    hace 4 años

The new option looks great don’t compromise because it’s easier for someone else. You won’t regret spending a little more now especially since you now know you prefer the half wall way. The full wall with its weird sliver area is going to bug you later

sweetverve agradeció a User
  • weedmeister
    hace 4 años

To me, it would depend on if you're going to put cabinets or shelves on either side of the vent. If you aren't, then I would tile it all (or nothing).

Don't care for the half-done look.

And he's going to have to remove the tiles that were cut to make that vertical line so he can extend to the other side of the door. The little strip down the right side is not hard, but will use a lot of cut tiles.

sweetverve agradeció a weedmeister
  • Amy Lydia
    hace 4 años
    Looking beautiful! I’d extend if possible
    sweetverve agradeció a Amy Lydia
  • Daniela Marino
    hace 4 años
    It’s a never-ending story... I wonder if you’d do all length and width of right wall, won’t later think of wall around window being unfinished?
  • Janie Gibbs-BRING SOPHIE BACK
    hace 4 años

If THIS is your "biggest regret" I think you're doing fantastic! ;)

Yes, you need to keep tiling over the door.

Done.

sweetverve agradeció a Janie Gibbs-BRING SOPHIE BACK
  • PRO
    Home Art Tile Kitchen & Bath
    hace 4 años

Definitely tile the whole wall and above the door. Your kitchen looks fantastic!

sweetverve agradeció a Home Art Tile Kitchen & Bath
  • sweetverve
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Tiling and grouting is done. Phew, that was an emotional rollercoaster :) Thank you all for your input! This kitchen would look 1000x worse if not for all the valuable help I've received on here!

• Cyndy
    hace 4 años

Looks fantastic!

sweetverve agradeció a Cyndy
  • Daniela Marino
    hace 4 años
    Brava!
  • salex
    hace 4 años

I love it! That was my favorite choice, definitely better than removing down to the hood. And the strip on the right side of the doorway looks intentional and "finished". Enjoy!

sweetverve agradeció a salex
  • PRO
    Brush Strokes Inc.
    hace 4 años

Brilliant

sweetverve agradeció a Brush Strokes Inc.
  • suzyq53
    hace 4 años

Looks awesome and the tiler did a great job and your ceiling is really plumb.

sweetverve agradeció a suzyq53
  • Jamie Thomas
    hace 4 años
    @sweetverve what is the flooring used in your kitchen? It’s beautiful!
  • sweetverve
    Autor original
    hace 4 años
    @Jamie Thomas - the flooring is Daltile Northpointe Greystone from HD.
  • Amy Lydia
    hace 4 años
    Are those countertops hard edge? Absolutely beautiful!
    sweetverve agradeció a Amy Lydia
  • kulrn
    hace 4 años

Very nice! Can I ask what pendants those are?

sweetverve agradeció a kulrn
  • Kate
    hace 4 años
    Great job! Looks fabulous, however I think there are better faucet choices for such a stunning kitchen.
    sweetverve agradeció a Kate
  • ILoveRed
    hace 4 años

Good decision. looks great.

sweetverve agradeció a ILoveRed
  • sweetverve
    Autor original
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

@Amy Lydia the countertops have a 1 1/2" mitered edge

@kulrn the pendants are Kawena Robusta from HD

• fredisaduck
    hace 4 años

Your kitchen looks very similar to mine. Would you mind taking a picture to the left of the peninsula? Ours is open to a family room below with part of the upstairs ceiling coming down. What will you use that space for? I really like how it is turning out! good choice tiling the whole wall.

sweetverve agradeció a fredisaduck
  • sweetverve
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

fredisaduck - yes, definitely see the similarities in our kitchen layouts! On the other side of the peninsula, we have a doorway that leads to a walk-through pantry, and has a door to the back yard.

• felizlady
    hace 4 años

I think you have tiled so far already that you must continue and tile above the door, down that wall, over the window wall and sink area, anywhere you have not tiled.

sweetverve agradeció a felizlady
  • PRO
    Norwood Architects
    hace 4 años

I vote for continuing the tile over the door and connection it with the backsplash on the other bank of cabinets.

sweetverve agradeció a Norwood Architects
  • fredisaduck
    hace 4 años

Sweetverve thank you for the pictures! It looks great.

sweetverve agradeció a fredisaduck
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.