Houzz Logo Print
rideauroselad

Rare Roses Trip to Oregon and Calfornia

As some of you may recall, I posted about Paul Barden's Rose varieties becoming rare back in February: [https://www.houzz.com/discussions/paul-bardens-rose-varieties-are-becoming-rare-dsvw-vd~5616806?n=35[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/paul-bardens-rose-varieties-are-becoming-rare-dsvw-vd~5616806?n=35)

At the end of April, I made the road trip down to Oregon to meet with Paul and he very graciously gave me rooted plants of a number of his varieties for me to take on to John P. in California. Some of the roses he sent are fairly well known: Galicandy, Ellen Toffelmeir, Unconditional Love, and Carolyn Supinger. He also provided us with a number of unreleased varieties, including a sibling of Mel's Heritage that he has named Tajique.

I so very much enjoyed meeting with Paul, and talking to him at length about his roses and rose breeding. His generous offer of plants, cuttings and support of our project to put his roses back into commerce is greatly appreciated. The plants he gave me are now planted and growing in John's garden and will be secured for propagation and distribution as that part of our project develops over the next year or two.

As many or you know, John and I are also avid collectors and boosters of early David Austin varieties that are rare or out of commerce. On the way to Paul's place, I stopped by Heirloom Roses and was fortunate to meet with Ben Hanna, the owner. I stopped because there was a post on this forum that the rose "Sweet Juliet" was being discontinued and was on clearance. Sweet Juliet is a rose I grew many years ago and loved. It is now extremely rare. Heirloom no longer has a retail sales area, but Ben was very welcoming when I told him about our project to save rare roses. He offered me a plant of Sweet Juliet gratis. He told me that the Corporate folk at David Austin have once again told him that he must discontinue selling more of the older rare Austin roses, or risk loosing his licence to propagate the newer ones. Same old story and thus the clearance on a number of the older varieties, though the mother plants will remain in his garden.

When we went out to one of the many the green houses to look for Sweet Juliet, I found a plant of another very old rare variety called "Country Living". He offered that to me as well and then asked me if there were any other rare ones I would like. I chose a robust plant of "Claire Rose". In all I left with three plants, all for free. My thanks to Ben for his generosity and interest in the rare roses project. These roses too are now in John's garden in California. John will be sending plants of both Paul's varieties and some more of the early Austin roses to Hummingbird Roses in Michigan once the plants are ready. He will also be sending me plants next spring for inclusion in the Heritage Collections at the Summerland Ornamental Gardens here in British Columbia.

Finally, on to John and Sharon's garden in California. When I arrived, I was in a word "gobsmacked" at the glorious display of roses of all kinds. My timing was about perfect to see the garden in peak bloom. I spent two wonderful days with John and Sharon immersed in roses, rose breeding and gardening in general. John and Sharon were most gracious and generous hosts and it was wonderful to meet them both after corresponding with John for quite a few years on line. John took me to the San Jose Heritage Rose Garden, as well as the San Jose City Rose Garden. John and Sharon are the curators of many rare and beautiful roses of all kinds. In all, it was a wonderful and fulfilling trip.

I am so pleased that the preservation of all these rare roses is being advanced. I hope that those of you who have offered cuttings of other of Paul's varieties to John and Mindy can find the time to do so when the time is right. In a way, this post is an update and reminder about what is happening with this small project. We are making good progress.

To finish, here are a few images from John and Sharon's rose collection:

John with his mother plant of Cressida, he has 15 plants now. Provenance of this rose is: David Austin UK; Pickering Nursery, Canada; my rose garden, Ontario; Hortico, Ontario: John's Garden, California. Cressida is now safe secure and in commerce in both Canada and the US. Thanks John!

Crepuscule on the left. The tall climber on the right is I believe Harlow Carr, if I remember correctly. A rose not generally known as a climber.

Close up shot of a bloom of Harlow Carr. It is definitely on my list as a climber now for the collection in the Summerland Ornamental Gardens.

Again, if I remember correctly, this is a John Clements rose called The Impressionist. John and Sharon have quite a few of John Clements roses in their collection, all gorgeous well worth growing. Most are still available from Heirloom I believe.

Well, this has turned into another lengthy post. I must head out to my own garden project and so will sign off now.

Cheers, Rick

Comentarios (12)

• User
    hace 4 años

Thank you Rick, for your efforts, your generosity, and the time you spent with me that day!

rideauroselad OkanaganBC6a agradeció a User
  • mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    hace 4 años

Wonderful post, Rick. So glad that some of the earlier Austins are going to be saved. Just wish I could find Peach Blossom again. That rose did so well in my garden. Unfortunately it had a scrub palm growing in the middle of the bed that reverted back to root stock. Try as hard as I could, I couldn't remove the palm, so it had to go. I wonder if Heirloom still has Peach Blossom and might grow a plant for me or send me cuttings?

• User
    hace 4 años

I enjoyed reading about your road trip... quite an exciting adventure all round.. I hope you don't mind me chiming in but I just wanted to offer a correction on the identity of the climbing rose you have down as 'Harlow Carr'... in my opinion it's actually 'Hyde Hall'... I can show you photos of both if you like... but there's no way Harlow Carr, even in California would grow like that, and the bloom is totally different..

Great project ...

rideauroselad OkanaganBC6a agradeció a User
  • PRO
    Hummingbird Roses
    hace 4 años

Wonderful post Rick! I hope to get the chance to meet you, John and Paul someday. I look forward to working with everyone on this fabulous project, and am honored to be part of it.

rideauroselad OkanaganBC6a agradeció a Hummingbird Roses
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    hace 4 años

Rick, as Marlorena mentioned, and I agree, that climbing rose is not Harlow Carr, which is one of Austin's shorter roses. It's not just the climbing aspect that is atypical; it's just a very different rose. If Marlorena says it's Hyde Hall I'm sure that's correct; the lady knows her roses. Not a big deal anyway, since yours was a tentative ID.

Here's a picture of Harlow Carr taken in my garden years ago. It's thrilling that you and everyone else involved are making the effort to ensure these older roses are not lost to us. Many thanks to all of you.

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

Ingrid's Harlow Carr looks like the rose I know... with its deadly thorns! Beautiful images! Thank you for your efforts to preserve more roses!

• Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
    hace 4 años
    Rick, thank you for sharing this thread with us with beautiful pics.
    Hats off to Paul and John. Both you guys are great. What a beautiful transaction btw all you 3 musketeers. I am so excited to read everything and I am so glad that everyone is pitching in to preserve the rarities and sharing older roses.
    Ben is so sweet to give you the roses. Such a sweetheart.

Rick, I hope you will take pics again of your beautiful roses back home. I really enjoy your thread very much. I hope to see your new collection. Thank you for preserving the roses so that everyone can enjoy. Oh by the way, your post is Never lengthy. It is very enjoyable actually...hehe

Paul and John, thank you as well.

jin
  • AquaEyes 7a NJ
    hace 4 años

I am so happy at your undertaking, and especially that you secured a plant of 'Tajique'. Paul graciously sent me a small plant of this two years ago, and it was doing well as a pot-pet, but then last year I lost all but one of my potted roses. I'm not sure if they got too cold where I stored them, or if they got too cold when I brought them out, but only 'Nigrette' survived. I was afraid I'd never get to see 'Tajique' again, but will happily buy it once it's available. And if I get to do some re-arranging at my job-garden, I'd love to have it there where others can see it. I've already talked to my boss about using 'Mel's Heritage' among the climbers, so perhaps I'll be able to have a Paul Barden section at the Colonial Park Rose Garden if I gather a few others. That's not something I'd be able to do until at least next year -- I'm still trying to get things ready for the about-to-begin first flush, and I've been there only a month. But if all goes well, Paul's roses will be on public display.

:-)

~Christopher

• Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
    hace 4 años

Rick, thanks for the thread, and thanks to you and collaborators for all your work saving rare roses! This was a pleasure to read.

• john_ca
    hace 4 años

Hi Christopher,

Talique was among the plants that Paul gave to Rick to bring to me. It is around 8 inches high and has a bud that is about to open today. I will be growing this plant to a larger size and send cuttings of this to Mindy at Humminigbird roses this year. If all goes well, she will have plants of Talique, Mel's Heritage and many other roses from Paul Barden's breeding program in a year or so.

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    hace 4 años

Awesome! What I found interesting about 'Tajique' was that while its sibling 'Mel's Heritage' is a repeat-blooming Wichurana Rambler, this is more along the lines of the Wichurana Polyanthas like 'Yvonne Rabier'. So I imagined it'd make a great pot-pet -- but, unfortunately, my back porch is falling apart, and is no longer insulating enough to protect them. Well, I won't be living here forever, and I wanted the chance to try 'Tajique' again. And now I'm happy that I'll get that chan, and maybe even add it to my job-garden. Thanks again for your efforts.

:-)

~Christopher

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.