Houzz Logo Print
corrin_wilcox

Help! Cherry Wood Kitchen Cabinets !

Corrin Wilcox
hace 4 años
I’m buying a home that has a ton of cherry wood kitchen cabinets. A painter quoted me $7000 to paint the outside of them white. My question, is there anyway that you can make cherry wood cabinets look good? I can pay the $7000, but ideally would not like to because I will have to cut back elsewhere in another part of my house remodel. Any suggestions, ideas, tips, would be greatly appreciated.

Comentarios (12)

• cat_ky
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

The cabinets are beautiful. If you feel they need something more buy some cabinet cleaner and give them a good cleaning.

• hollybar
    hace 4 años

I would not have those painted. But I might have some cabinets removed from the top runs.

• cawaps
    hace 4 años

I would suggest trying to learn to like cherry. They're very pretty.

• PRO
    Ames Peterson - International Architecture
    hace 4 años

I'd try replacing the light bulbs first and seeing if a less yellow color helps brighten the kitchen. Look for something in the 4000k range. Much cheaper option and might make you very happy!

• PRO
    Filipe Custom Woodwork
    hace 4 años

If you have fallen in love with the grey or white trend I suggest you wait a little longer as wood tones are coming back.

You can change the wall paint and as Ames said the lighting.

You can change the hardware as well.

Find a more neutral wall paint as opposed to the warm paint you have.

Something like below.

You can also change the counter as well if you are not intending to change the layout any time soon.

• User
    hace 4 años

Those are beautiful! I think changing out some of the other elements could make a difference. Remove the track lighting and add pendants over the peninsula to coordinate with your new wall color. Add different hardware on the cabinets. You could add color with different bar stools that are painted wood with pattered cushions. Wait a while on the kitchen and see how different it looks when the former owner's stuff is gone. Good luck with your new home!

• Corrin Wilcox
    Autor original
    hace 4 años
    Thank you for all of the suggestions! Will definitely paint the walls and change our the light fixtures. I appreciate the input. I think they can grow on me:)
  • Joy Wills
    hace 4 años

I second either changing the floors, or putting in some runners with less orange undertones. Maybe something in a warm green or grey? Start saving now, and if you still can't stand them in a few years replace them as part of a kitchen reno to get what you want.

Personally I think they are beautiful (we just put a slightly darker cherry in our kitchen), but I know they are not everyone's cup of tea.

• Janie Gibbs-BRING SOPHIE BACK
    hace 4 años

Corrin,

Is it possible to change out any of the upper doors and replace with a glass door with modern, in cabinet lighting?

• Helen
    hace 4 años

Painting those gorgeous cabinets would not just cost you $7000 for the actual paint job but a lot more in terms of the value of the kitchen. Painted cabinets are never going to be as durable as wood stained and so five or seven years down the road, you are going to have shabby painted cabinets.

As others have posted, the issue isn't the cabinets - it's that everything else in your kitchen is tan or brown including the walls, floors, backsplash and counter. If you truly have the itch to spend money, change some of those elements as well as changing the lighting to something less warm :-).

Although I personally don't believe in swapping out stuff in good condition just because it is no longer on trend or isn't exactly my current taste - swapping the counter would provide you with much more of a beautiful look than painting the cabinets and wouldn't devalue your kitchen.

• lmuhrich
    hace 4 años

What did you decide to do I am in the same boat !

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.