Houzz Logo Print
splats

Landscape Lighting Question

splats
hace 4 años

I want to put some low voltage lighting in the backyard. I have a couple of questions:

1. Am I correct I must match the transformer wattage to the total wattage of the lights I want to add?

2. Does the length of the low voltage wiring matter; i.e., does it matter if it is 200' long or say 50'?

thanks

Comentarios (7)

• splats
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

thanks for the info. Because of were the power is I'm probably going to have a run up to 200' to the end. So I need to look at 8ga wire. I will look into the multi-tap transformer; that's a new to me.

• PRO
    VOLT® Lighting
    hace 4 años

Hey there splats,

It's always best to check with the manufacturer what they recommend. Generally, most manufacturer's recommend a (%) of the transformer's maximum capacity to promote longevity; a fully-loaded transformer is essentially like redlining a car every time you drive it. I know we recommend no more than 80% for ours; that is in the same ballpark as RG's suggestion above.

Length does indeed matter in low-voltage because the voltage dissipates over longer runs. Most residential lighting systems use 12-gauge (generally rated for uses up to 150') . Sizing transformers and determining cable gauges is typically a final step in the project after calculating wattage and distances. RG hit the nail on the head above as well; multi-tap transformers make designing and installing systems much easier and a volt-meter is handy to be certain your runs are all receiving the proper power.

• wdccruise
    hace 4 años

I'd recommend following Dark Sky outdoor lighting guidelines for dark-sky friendly lighting to avoid light "pollution", illuminating areas unnecessarily, shining lights toward the sky, or into your windows or those of your neighbors.

• PRO
    Revolutionary Gardens
    hace 4 años

I have been re-reading the sentence "hey there splats" and laughing for five minutes now. I need sleep.

VOLT's comment reminded me, if this is your first time DIYing a lighting system it wouldn't be a bad idea to contact them (or a similar consumer-friendly company) for help specifying components. Plus, getting everything in one place means as soon as the UPS guy drops those boxes on the porch, you can start playing.

If you can throw a few extra bucks at it, get bulbs in different wattages and beam spreads. The ability to fine tune the final lighting effect is the difference between a good lighting job and one that makes the neighbors drool.

• splats
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Actually "Splats" was suppose to be something else; but I thought it was so funny I just left it.

• PRO
    Mikes Landscape Lighting
    hace 4 años

Revolutionary Gardens and Volt have gave you some great advice. The only thing additionally I would say, you will not need 8 gauge wire. With a multi tap transformer you can do runs up to 400', depending on the watts needed at the end, and still have plenty of power for the lights to operate. The biggest wire I use since the era of LED is 10 gauge. You will want to invest in a volt meter to check how many volts you have at the end of the long run and every run.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.