Houzz Logo Print
elitha18

Tiny Powder Room Before and After

Elitha Smith
hace 5 años

Hey All!!!

I am so excited that I finally finished my first mini-DIY renovation. My husband and I recently bought a 1940 cape code house in North Carolina. The house was well maintained but requires many upgrades, especially, to the major areas such as bathrooms (three) and the kitchen.

First, my husband and I, with the help of my younger brother, decided to tackle the tiny powder room. After starting this project, I was surprised by how difficult, time-consuming, and expensive it is to remodel older homes. This tiny renovation took 8 weeks and cost about $1.5k. The biggest set back was finding a toilet that would properly fit the teeny space and waiting for the wallpaper to restock.

Please leave your comments. What am I missing? What would you suggest to make this space better?

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Comentarios (29)

• User
    hace 5 años

It needs pattern, color, and life. A great botanical or animal print wallpaper can work to give it that.

https://www.houzz.com/products/contemporary-wallpaper-prbr1-br~t_500~s_2103

• scottie mom
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

Really lovely job, and what a great idea to start with the smallest room. What did you do on the ceiling? Is that the wallpaper? The colors are a bit cool, which may be the photo and/or the light. Agree that you don’t want to add too much in that small space, but maybe some piece of art with a warmer color?

Oh, make sure that receptacle is GFI for safety. Enjoy your new space!

Elitha Smith agradeció a scottie mom
  • autumncolor
    hace 5 años

Nice transformation. I really like what you did to the ceiling. I would add a towel bar with a colorful hand towel and get a decorative soap dispenser to replace the one on the sink. Possibly lower the bottom shelf, remove the two small items on the bottom shelf and add some accessories with color.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    hace 5 años

Quite an improvement! I'd just add a small piece of colorful art above the toilet or a towel rack with a colorful hand towel. Is that the Galba toilet? How do you like it?

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    hace 5 años

Great job!

Elitha Smith agradeció a Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • Olychick
    hace 5 años

Great improvement. It looks wonderful as it is, but I'd add a nice piece of art below the shelves.

Elitha Smith agradeció a Olychick
  • Robby
    hace 5 años
    Very nice update! I think a long, narrow piece of artwork with something that you enjoy instead of the shelves above your toilet would really add some color and interest.
    Elitha Smith agradeció a Robby
  • teddytoo
    hace 5 años
    I hope the toilet paper dispenser is just not in the photos, if not I would add that. A pretty hand towel on a towel hanger and some extra color in art are great suggestions.
    Elitha Smith agradeció a teddytoo
  • Elitha Smith
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Thank you for your comments. I wish I could respond to your questions individually but I guess there isn't a reply option. For those of you who are wondering about the ceiling, it is stippled and painted with metallic paint. You can find the paint at Home Depot and have it tinted any color that you like. The ceiling and wallpaper on the back wall are my favorite features.

• Elitha Smith
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

So, I do not have a towel holder or toilet paper dispenser because my walls are cinderblock. It makes it almost impossible to drill through. So, any suggestions on displaying toilet paper or a hand towel?

• Jennifer Hogan
    hace 5 años

They make freestanding toilet paper holders and toilet paper holders that attach to the tank.

They also make freestanidng finger towel holders or you may be able to use a comand strip hook

• Jennifer Hogan
    hace 5 años

and here is a command strip toilet paper holder

https://www.amazon.com/Toilet-Holder-Adhesive-Brushed-Stainless/dp/B07FLZFQVW/ref=asc_df_B07FLZFQVW/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid={creative}&hvpos={adposition}&hvnetw=o&hvrand={random}&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl={devicemodel}&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583589102415569&psc=1

• teddytoo
    hace 5 años
    I would go with free standing or attach the toilet paper holder to the side of the vanity
  • writersblock (9b/10a)
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

because my walls are cinderblock. It makes it almost impossible to drill through

Take a trip to the friendly big box store and tell them you need a masonry bit. Easy-peasy. I've lived in CBS or poured consrete most of my life. It's really not difficult if you have the right stuff to do the job.

Elitha Smith agradeció a writersblock (9b/10a)
  • adawn5
    hace 5 años

I have a basement bathroom with a long cinderblock wall. The handyman/tile guy who put up my towel bar and 3 robe hooks on that wall had no issues.

I like the changes you made!

• Elitha Smith
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

How weird would it be if I put the command strip towel holder on the door?

• PRO
    The Wright Kitchen
    hace 5 años

Looks great, perhaps a small pop of colour in some sort of small art piece or by adding colourful towels.

• PRO
    Door Corner
    hace 5 años

Well done! Beautiful. So many options to add to this too! Enjoy.

• Olychick
    hace 5 años

Towel holder on door would likely look okay, but everyone will drip water all over the floor to dry their hands. I'd go ahead and drill into the masonry and do a correct installation. It's probably hard to face messing up with your new looking walls, but you'll be glad to have it done right, in the right place.

• PRO
    Tuscany Builders and Design
    hace 5 años

Just a pop of color with some towels or shelf accessories, but it looks great and doesn't need much!

• PRO
    Croteck Plumbing
    hace 5 años

Small bathrooms can be really challenging, but you did a great job! Where did you find the super small vanity?

• PRO
    None
    hace 5 años

@green designs. I never thought I would see the wallpaper in this bedroom that I did the built in closet in.

• hollybar
    hace 5 años

Looks really great. Once you accessorize, even better. Years ago ,Hubs and I made the same error in thinking that a small room, a bathroom of course, would be the easiest to learn how to wallpaper. We learned that it is best for me to go to the movies and leave him alone.

• Oliviag
    hace 5 años
    Quite a transformation. Do you need a transition piece where rhe marble floor tile ends?
  • Sonya Oden
    hace 5 años
    I love the ceiling!! It’s such a great transformation!
  • bpath
    hace 5 años

Don't hang a towel on the door, because it opens out and will flap at you when the door swings. You could probably hang a towel bar underneath the wood shelf.

• Toni Hamlett
    hace 4 años
    Love this site as I learn new things. The command paper holder. Thanks for the link
Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.