Houzz Logo Print
ann407

Front yard tree roots exposed

hace 5 años

Need help with front yard landscape. Live in Minnesota zone 5. i want to keep this tree,however roots are beginning to expose. There is 20 feet from tree to driveway/sidewalk (west/right), 30 feet to the sidewalk on main road(east/left) and 22 feet to road(north). Any ideas Would be appreciated. I am not fond of simply putting bark around the tree

Comentarios (8)

• hace 5 años

Can you be more specific about the type of tree it is? Some trees - maples and cherries are a couple that come to mind immediately - are just inclined to produce a lot of protruding surface roots. Not much you can do about it....that's just the way these trees grow. If it becomes an issue with mowing, then your alternative is to replace the lawn with something that does not require mowing...like mulch or a groundcover.

• PRO
    hace 5 años

As GardenGal points, out, it is the tree's nature and is no problem for the tree. It's only a problem for you for mowing. Since you're growing grass below, you could add a THIN layer of topsoil (just enough to cover the tree roots) and the grass will grow though to the new level. This would be somewhat of a periodic, ongoing chore if you intend to keep roots from surfacing. If it were me, I would do the other solution GardenGal mentions, to plant a bed of groundcover below the tree. I think it's easier in the long run and better looking.

• hace 5 años
    Understand about the ground cover. I am looking for any suggestions of a landscape idea. I simply don’t want to put a circle of bark around the tree. I’m just not sure how big to go and what other plants to include. The tree is maple
  • hace 5 años
    I’ve had good luck with hostas near maples where grass wouldn’t grow, and those were Norway maples much larger than yours. Some dry shade ground covers you might consider are lamium, wild ginger and sweet woodruff. All three have done well for me under water hogging trees in a similar growing area ( central Iowa). As far as how big, I’d start with the area the roots are a problem and expand as the tree grows. A circle isn’t your only option.
  • PRO
    hace 5 años

Glass mulch would look great there.

Charles McClure, landscape architect · Más información

• hace 5 años

Glass mulch in Minnesota?? Doesn't sound like a good idea to me :-)

• PRO
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

"I am looking for any suggestions of a landscape idea. I simply don’t want to put a circle of bark around the tree. I’m just not sure how big to go and what other plants to include."

If trees were kits and it was possible to unplug their limbs and change them out with other types of limbs ... for example, you could have a few oak tree limbs, some beech limbs, maple limbs and so forth ... would you be interested in that as a way to incorporate more variety and seasonal interest into just a single tree? Imagine .... the left branches could have fall color and the right ones could have spring bloom! If you're considering the overall landscape, I doubt you'd find the kit tree of much interest. Maybe it could be a garden novelty in the backyard. Yet it seems like you are interested in employing the same kit concept at the planting area below the tree... a shape that is "not just a circle" and "what other plants. " Looking at the tree in your lawn, a simple circle bed of groundcover seems like it would be an attractive and well suited to the tree, which is a circle. The size to make it? Imagine that the bed you are creating represents the container you are planting that size tree in. It has to be proportionate to the tree in order to look right, which is why all the little tutu skirts around trees look ridiculous. Looking at the branch spread, a bed would probably be something like a 15' diameter circle.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.