Houzz Logo Print
kellisean

spray foam quote too $$$ use XP’s or eps?

Kelli
hace 5 años
Insulating the interior of the walkout basement walls. Finishing the basement and want to insulate and air seal the walls. We used 2” XP’s in the rim joists should we use the same treatment in the stud cavities since spray foam is too expensive? I’m in climate zone 4
Thank you

Comentarios (7)

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    hace 5 años

You can do the same or use insulation rated for basement use since you already have insulation which will not be in the direct contact with a masonry foundation.

• seabornman
    hace 5 años

Are studs already in place? Best route is to apply XPS to the wall then build stud wall. If you don't need stud wall in some areas because you won't need to run electrical or similar, there are ways to install drywall without studs (built-in furring, tap-cons, etc.). I have tap-conned osb over foam in a basement utility room. Great for hanging tools, conduit, pipes.

• Kelli
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    The area in question is an exterior wall that is sheathing and vinyl on the outside on the walkout side. It has fiberglass insulation and we want to seal and insulate it better before the drywall’s come.
  • PRO
    PPF.
    hace 5 años

Your best option is rigid foam on the exterior under the vinyl.

See this recent thread for some info.

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/5640711/insulation-options#n=20

• PRO
    Dishington Construction - Jensen Hus
    hace 5 años
    buy once, cry once. spend the $$$ on the closed cell spray foam. superior in all ways, especially air sealing which is critical.
  • seabornman
    hace 5 años

Now that I understand the issue, you could add depth to your studs with ripped 2xs or I've seen people use foam strips to bump out wall depth so you can fit thicker batts in. The foam would give you a thermal break. There's a thread on greenbuildingadvisor.com for this. You do end up doing some blocking for electrical boxes and perimeter conditions.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.