Houzz Logo Print
my_6_ring_circus

Baseboards on Stairs?

my_6_ring_circus
hace 5 años
This is how our finish carpenter has trimmed out the stairs. This is so different than anything I’ve ever seen. The baseboard stops at the top before going downstairs as well. Is this commonly done now?

Comentarios (49)

• acm
    hace 5 años

I don't understand what you're asking about -- there appears to be a normal trim, in brown, with a piece of normal wall baseboard, white, just stuck on. Your carpenter did all of that, or are you suggesting one or the other?

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    hace 5 años

"This is so different than anything I’ve ever seen."

You've got company.

• my_6_ring_circus
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    The wood and the trim are both secured...even with the damage to the corner. The painters started taping and prepping today. The wood and trim will be painted white, walls be gray.
  • my_6_ring_circus
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    I asked our builder if there would be additional trim and he said that this is the ‘finished’ look.
  • Jora
    hace 5 años

I don't get it?? Looks like two trims that don't belong together. Looks to me like you put that 'white' piece in just to show us. How is this 'finished'? Just looking at the picture bugs me, let alone having paid for, and living with, it.

• my_6_ring_circus
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    I’m glad I’m not the only one who thinks it looks really weird. I really don’t understand what he was thinking!
  • mandy_redworth
    hace 5 años

no...no...no... three words - W..T..F!

• Jora
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

...to add...my husband (who had NEVER done any trim work in his life) just added some trim to our existing stair trim (to give it a more ornate look). At the very top of the stairs, going around the corner, the trim changes from 6" to 4", and although it is not visible where it's located, I've asked him to YANK it out as it does not belong. I don't understand how yours would be acceptable to anyone.

• cpartist
    hace 5 años

Not acceptable

• iamtiramisu
    hace 5 años
    What in the world?? Another in the “never seen anything like this” camp - probably because it’s a hack job. 2 different materials, 2 different profiles...looks like they ran out of the brown and patched in with the primed baseboard. Whatever they did, it’s definitely not acceptable. Ask the builder if he’d want this in his own house, or plastered online/social media with his name on it as a representation of his finished product.
  • cpartist
    hace 5 años

Also take your tape measure and double check that all those risers are the same exact height. If not, that staircase is not to code. It may be just the photograph but some of the risers look to be different heights and if so, that is a tripping hazard too.

• cpartist
    hace 5 años

Also final trim goes on AFTER all the walls have been finished in terms of taping and spackling. That corner wasn't finished.

• houssaon
    hace 5 años

And it looks like they used very cheap wood with large knots to build the stairs.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    hace 5 años

"...This is how our finish carpenter has trimmed out the stairs..."

That is no finish carpenter.

• mandy_redworth
    hace 5 años

Are the big gaps supposed to be there? I really don’t know but it looks a bit excessive to me.

• A Fox
    hace 5 años

The right way would have either extended the two diagonals until they came together, or maybe depending on the geometry have each slope stop at that unfinished corner with a slight vertical transition. Horizontal base is only for landings, and even then the profile at the landing should match what is on the stairs.

I would imagine that your standard baseboard doesn't come in heights tall enough to make the wall trim at the stairs. Therefore the carpenter has two options. The first is to do something completely different on the stairs as you have at you house and stop the standard base at the top and bottom. The second would slice the ornamented top off of your baseboard and apply it to the top of plain trim of the right thickness, with all corners aligned so that when it's painted there's no difference between stair trim and the standard baseboard. The first option is easier to do. Do the contract drawings say which was it is to be done or was either method discussed beforehand?

• just_janni
    hace 5 años

Oh, Virgil - he'd be finished if that were my house....

• my_6_ring_circus
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Thank you, everyone for your feedback. I’m glad I’m not the only one that thinks this is weird. At first I thought he’d just tacked the trim on to that corner to temporarily keep the broken wall edge (it was finished correctly then someone hit it after the fact) out of his way.

To address a few questions...these stairs will have carpet on them. As much as I love the look of wood stairs, these stairs lead up to my kids’ bedrooms and I know they’ll be tripping and slipping just because of their natural tendencies to want to skip skeps and run up and down them. So, the gaps on’t be visible at all once the carpet and pad are installed. We have measured each riser (because these stairs have given us a headache more than once in the build process), and they are even. The angle the picture was taken at makes them look uneven. Thanks again everyone!
  • gthigpen
    hace 5 años

Add me to the list of people who have never seen this before. Completely unacceptable. Fire this guy and find a real trim carpenter. At least find a good one to do your staircase as that's a prominent feature in the house.

• Snaggy
    hace 5 años

Sorry ...looks silly !

• PRO
    Peter B. Rice & Co
    hace 5 años

That isn't correct. The small section of MDF stair skirt (brown) and the small section of the white baseboard need to removed. Either the MDF needs to be run all the way to the right where the wall direction changes or the piece of white baseboard needs to be cut at the same angle (left hand side) as the MDF. Then a piece of base cap that matches the profile on the top of the base needs to be applied to the MDF. For the entirety of the stair skirt. Based upon the what the "trim carpenter" did I'd say that is beyond his skill level.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    hace 5 años

"...I’m glad I’m not the only one that thinks this is weird..."

It's not simply weird. It's completely unaccpetable and shows a complete lack of carpentry knowledge.

Get rid of that person. And if the general contractor says "...this is the ‘finished’ look..." get rid of him too.

PPF's illustration is the only proper solution.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    hace 5 años

PPF's is THE way to do it. It may not have as much "character" as what's in the image, but it is still the proper solution.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    hace 5 años

What's in the OP's photo is incompetence and complete lack of experience... not character.

• User
    hace 5 años

So you got a short piece of white trim sticking out randomly? WTF.

• christinero
    hace 5 años

Well, that is just weird. And unacceptable.

• ILoveRed
    hace 5 años

Building and finishing a stairway is an art and a science imo. I tore out two in my house and hired a craftsman to redo mine.

are you sure you don’t want a redo?

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    hace 5 años

It kind of reminds me of something I have seen on very old houses -- maybe it was in the 1861 house we rented -- but the difference (IIRC) was that the fancy edge would have been on the vertical edges as well, and also on all the rest of the angled edge going up the stairs. Plus all joined together with more care and finish - it would look quite old fashioned to us today, but would still look "right".

The gaps are just plain sloppy work too. No finish carpentry should be done so badly, even with the thought that "carpet will hide it". That is not what you are paying for.

Your contractor is trying to pull the wool over your eyes.

• User
    hace 5 años

As PPF suggested this is the only way to finish it without rebuilding the entire stairway. Extend the skirt boards and add a base molding on top of it and down the vertical side of it where it wraps around the corner.

A bigger challenge may be what is below the frame of the photo in the lower left. I don't really want to know.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    hace 5 años

Obviously, as others have said, done entire incorrectly.

My daughter's house has had 2 boys since she first bought it 20 years ago. She has a sisal runner up her finished wood steps. It's bound in a solid twill fabric. One would be hard to find two more "active", lively boys than hers, but no one has ever had a problem. I actually find that carpet can be more "slippery".

BTW, the sisal lasted 20 years. She just replaced it, not due to wear or holes in it, but to stains where a cat or two has thrown up on the stairs over the years. And yes, she replaced it with more sisal - exactly the same.

• my_6_ring_circus
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    This is the top of those same stairs. ♀️ I’m meeting with our builder this morning. For a custom home I expected more.
  • User
    hace 5 años

What does the bottom look like?

• User
    hace 5 años

The trim at the base of a wall is usually called a "base" or "base board". At a stair it is usually called a "skirt" or "skirt board". The base cap on the top of these boards should be continuous.

• my_6_ring_circus
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    That’s what I expected. The bottom of the stairs is the original photo. That’s about three steps up. This photo shows what is just around the corner (visible from the front door). They plan on adding drywall there, and I’m assuming some baseboard.
  • cpartist
    hace 5 años

What is the width of the tread of the second step? Is it just a photographic illusion that it's narrower than 10"?

• my_6_ring_circus
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Just a photographic illusion. They are equal. This particular stairway has been a headache. There are stairs beneath it going to the basement (behind a door), and their angles aren’t the same. Had we made them the same the stairs going up would have extended into the main entry/walkway and tightened it WAY too much.
  • PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    hace 5 años

Is this the first house your builder has constructed?

• my_6_ring_circus
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    No...not their first house. The stair angle is a problem of the architect, not the builder.
  • ksc36
    hace 5 años

Architects always have problems with stairs, the ± 2" they hide behind just doesn't work in stair building.

• PRO
    PPF.
    hace 5 años

If they rip the molding detail off a piece of base and add it to the top of the skirting, you would have a look much like RES shows above.

• A Fox
    hace 5 años

With the stairs being the geometry that they are, I would ask that the whole exposed end be wood (or painted MDF/HDF) If they do drywall there with a baseboard there is going to be just a little sliver of wall paint left and the baseboard dying into the last carpeted riser as it meets the floor is not going to be a good look. The skirt on the stairs as it gets to the last outside corner can then turn vertical and attach to the baseboard adjacent to the door.

Have you been walking around the house quite a bit already? Without a railing or newel post to mark those last 2 steps I would be concerned with coming out of the room next to the stairs and tripping over the bottom step.

• PRO
    PPF.
    hace 5 años

At the bottom, the skirting would turn the corner and transition cleanly into the base.

• PRO
    PPF.
    hace 5 años

Is there a railing planned for that side of the stair -- a newel and rail to fill the short gap to the wall?

• my_6_ring_circus
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Yes, we have walked around the house quite a bit. Most of the foot traffic in the house won’t be going that direction. More will head either straight ahead or around the other way into the great room. No, there won’t be a newel post or any railing on that side. The stairs are wider at the bottom.
  • Lee Baer
    hace 5 años

Your builder needs to fix this for sure. Here is what our custom builder did at top of stairs, showing both sides. It looks terrific.

• Lee Baer
    hace 5 años

Second photo.

• User
    hace 5 años

There is nothing about the current stair work that suggests that the carpenter is capable of building a proper stairway. The stairs aren't even built to the drawing. The red arrow below indicates a very difficult detailing problem that I don't believe the carpenter could tackle even with good drawings which apparently have not been provided.

I strongly recommend that you ask that the carpenter stop work and that an experienced professional stair builder finish the work.

• User
    hace 5 años

The other thing that bothers me is that the stair widens at the bottom and people will use that additional space to enter and exit the stairway ... but there's no handrail there. That not only invites people to not use the handrail but it directs them into a blind corner. I just see many years of bumps and bruises (or worse) that could easily have been avoided.

I would suggest a handrail on both sides but it might be beyond the capability of the contractor.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.