Houzz Logo Print
emho23

Measuring toilet depth for small bathroom

emho23
hace 5 años

Hi! We are replacing a toilet in a small, fairly oddly laid out bathroom. This is an old house and there is not as much space between the front of the toilet as one would like (or as much as code would require if we were remodeling). Not looking for criticism of the layout, we know it's funky, it was not chosen by us. We aren't moving any plumbing, just replacing the toilet. The rough in is 12".

My question is, how do I find the toilet with the shortest depth as measured from the wall to the front of the bowl? All the manufacturers (except American Standard, which has no good options) seem to measure the depth as from the back of the tank to the front of the bowl, but that doesn't help us. And none of them seem to list a measurement for what the clearance should be between the tank and the wall, or the distance from the rough in to the front edge, which would let me figure out what we need to know. I don't care how long the toilet itself is, I only care how far it will stick out from the wall.

(Some of the options I was looking at are the Kohler San Souci round front, the Toto Promenade Round Front, or the Galba Carus - http://www.luxurymodernhome.com/carus-tiny-small-toilet-23-inch-smallest-short-compact.html).

This might be the dumbest question in plumbing history...but please help! Thanks!

Comentarios (29)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

Look for a round bowl toilet and the space from the back of tank to the front of seat should be the measurement you need since you know the rough in placement and waht ever toilet you have now should give you the answer. FYI it does matter how long the toilet is. To help google toilets for small spaces you find a gem or two there.

emho23 agradeció a Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • emho23
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

The toilet we have now is not helpful, it was poorly chosen and we want something shorter if at all possible. It seems like different toilets sit closer or further to the wall, so knowing the length of the toilet from back of tank to front of seat does not give us all the information we need, unless I'm missing something (not unlikely). It doesn't help to magically find a 24" long toilet with a 12" rough in if the bank of the tank on that toilet sits 4" from the wall.

• Nancy R z5 Chicagoland
    hace 5 años
    Not dumb at all. I am grappling with the same issue in thinking about solutions for a future tiny Powder Room remodel. The key thing is where the bolts are on the floor, and they never give you the dimensions from the bolts to the back of the tank and from the bolts to to the front of the seat. For reasons too complicated to explain here, my bolts are about 13 and 1/2 inches from the wall, which is currently leaving 2 and 1/2 inches of wasted space behind the tank, even allowing about a quarter of an inch between the back of the tank and the wall. I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with. I know from Googling that there are some compact 24 inch long models out there, and I will study them more carefully next year when I get to this project. I had not heard about your 23 in model but it's rather pricey.
  • Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    hace 5 años

Flip the toilet and vanity?

• printesa
    hace 5 años

Usually in situations like yours, people use wall hanging toilet where the tank is on the wall. It will require some work, but it does save space

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    hace 5 años

This is a perfect situation for a wall-mounted toilet. Takes up far less space than traditional toilets. Kohler makes a couple of great options as does Duravit.

• elunia
    hace 5 años

Look for the specifications sheet:

• pattyl11
    hace 5 años

Toto Aquia wall hung toilet is only 21 1/16' deep. Minimum code from toilet to wall is 21". You show 44.6 " on you diagram. That leaves 23.54" left and is within code.

https://www.totousa.com/aquia-wall-hung-dual-flush-toilet-16-gpf-and-09-gpf-elongated-bowl

https://www.totousa.com/filemanager_uploads/product_assets/SS-00456_CT418FG.pdf

• emho23
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Thanks all! To clarify, we cannot do a wall hung toilet or flip the toilet and vanity, because we are not in a position to move any plumbing at all right now. This is an old bathroom with old tile and old mortar and we cannot open a can of worms with this new toilet. So, neither of these things is an option at all right now (but will be for a future actual bathroom remodel).

Therefore, right now we just need a new, floor mount toilet to go in the exact same spot but with the shortest possible footprint. (Not worried about code at this time.)

@elunia, that is helpful - so I can trust that if it says 1/2" between tank and wall on the spec sheet, that is how much it will actually be?

• Lyndee Lee
    hace 5 años
    Unfortunately, many people who need compact toilets do not have the budget for a complete plumbing overhaul. Given that the toilet and concealed tank combo is nearly $1200 before plumbing labor or materials, that approach just isn't financially feasible for many homeowners. Requiring people to spend a fortune to meet current codes or never touch an existing space might be understandable in situations with higher incomes and higher housing values, but not for everyone.

Check with the seller for info about the exact distance from the wall. I am surprised that info is not listed as that would be a very common question from potential buyers. The one compact toilet I remember seeing very clearly started that the bolts must be at least 12 inches from the finished wall surface as many toilets are a small amount closer than the twelve inches.
  • elunia
    hace 5 años

As noted by Nancy R, you will need the rough in measurement of your CURRENT toilet in order to calculate how the new toilet will sit. Nancy R said her rough in was actually 13.5” Make sure you measure from the wall and NOT the baseboard.

• Karenseb
    hace 5 años

We used a Toto drake 1.6 gallon round bowl toilet. It was as short as we could find at a reasonable price. It is about 27 1/2 inches from the wall. If your bolts are 12 inches form the wall, you should have a similar result. The specs say the toilet is 26 3/4 inches in length.

I wonder if you can find an older used toilet that might be shorter in length.

• Lyndee Lee
    hace 5 años
    The Swiss Madison "Sublime" toilet is listed at 24 inches deep, priced at $295 with free shipping. It is the smallest projection toilet at a reasonable price that I have seen. I do not have one but I own a house with a bathroom 72 inches wide and I have been looking at the various options. There aren't any fantastic answers, even if I decide to move plumbing or walls because all the rooms surrounding the bathroom are just as tight and spending thousands to gain an inch or two seems foolish. Our current thinking is to eventually change out the tub to a shower only and add another bathroom in the basement or attic
    emho23 agradeció a Lyndee Lee
  • wdccruise
    hace 5 años

Toto toilet spec sheets show the length of the toilet and the distance of the toilet's back from the wall. The sum is what you need:

Toto Ultramax round, Drake round.

I have the Ultramax round. I would recommend that you do not get a toilet shallower than this.

emho23 agradeció a wdccruise
  • elunia
    hace 5 años

oops, missed that you already said 12” rough in. Yes, you should be safe with the measurements listed in the specifications.

• emho23
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

@Lawrence Sprowls, yes, that measurement is exactly what I need. I didn't see it on the spec sheet I saw but these seem more detailed, thank you!

The rough in is definitely 12". That is not the issue. I just need the distance from tank to wall, which obviously can vary even with the same in. But now I at least know what to look for!

@Lyndee Lee, that Swiss Madison one looks promising, thank you!

• tatts
    hace 5 años

You can buy inexpensive offsets for the drain that allow you to install a toilet with a different drain distance from the wall. it's a simple installation without tearing anything up.

• User
    hace 5 años

Buy a 10” rough in toilet and use an offset flange for now. That gets you 2”.

emho23 agradeció a User
  • emho23
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

GreenDesigns - that is a brilliant thought! I checked though and there are so few models available with 10" rough in, and none of them are the lower profile round front so it doesn't get us much.

I think we're down to either the Kohler San Souci which would project 26 1/8" from the wall, or the weird 23" Carus internet toilet from Luxury Modern Home. Weird, but 23 inches!! They are both on the more expensive side, unforch.

• catbuilder
    hace 5 años

A 10" rough-in toilet isn't 2" shorter than a 12" rough-in toilet. All that would do is give you a poorer-performing toilet due to the offset flange. No benefit and big downfall.

• wdccruise
    hace 5 años

The Toto Drake would is 1" longer but costs $225 + $43 for seat at build.com. You can get the lever on the right or left; it looks like you have more room on the right.

emho23 agradeció a wdccruise
  • Lyndee Lee
    hace 5 años
    26 3/8+ 1/2 clearance seems like a big difference from 23 or 24 inches
  • Connie Stackhouse
    hace 5 años

My bathroom is almost exactly like yours, and we remodeled it last year. We used a Kohler Wellworth toilet. It has a small round bowl and a smaller tank that makes the space between the vanity and the wall seem larger. It was absolutely the smallest traditional toilet we could find, and we are very pleased with it.

emho23 agradeció a Connie Stackhouse
  • Connie Stackhouse
    hace 5 años

I should add that our rough In Is also 12”.

• emho23
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

The Toto Drake and the Kohler Wellworth are both a fair bit longer than the Kohler San Souci. The issue is less the space side to side (although that is tight) and more the distance between the toilet and the bathtub. I would go ahead and buy that weird Carus toilet (or this cheaper 25" one I found today -https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K32DFHS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1QNNH2CGLO69W&psc=1), but these weirdo brands kind of freak me out.

• Nancy R z5 Chicagoland
    hace 5 años
    Lindee Lee, thank you for mentioning that Swiss Madison toilet. At 24 in back to front and 12 inch rough-in, that may be a good solution for my problem. I will be investigating these things in more detail later in the year. For now, I wonder if anyone has bought these and what their experience has been with them. I have only 43 inches of depth from back wall to door to work with, and a couple of those are probably going to end up being wasted behind the tank.
  • emho23
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Update: I ordered the Galba toilet from Luxury Modern Home - 24.5" long and it sits flush to the wall, allegedly. Ah yes, "Luxury Modern Home," that well-known bathroom fixture maker...but at least it has luxury in the name and the Amazon reviews were not terrible. My contractor laughed at me but admits it solves a problem neatly, if it works. I will say the customer service has been good. They called to ask whether a newer model was OK (some sort of bowl reconfiguration), then found me the old version when I said I didn't want the new one and shipped it overnight by Fedex.

Anyway, for those who may have a similar issue to me, Luxury Modern Home apparently has toilets in 23", 24", and 25" lengths now, all with 12" rough and slightly different styling (rounded vs square edges). I will report back about the Galba.

• Lyndee Lee
    hace 5 años
    looking forward to your real world review!
Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.