nguyenhuong85

Picture Frame Dilemma

nguyenhuong85
hace 10 años
I am in the process of redecorate. If I was to hang these art above the sideboard, is the art too small for that wall? The wall size is 14L x 10H

Comentarios (38)

• charleee
    hace 10 años
    From the picture you've posted, it looks right to me. What is it sitting on right now? Can we get a pic of that?
  • abbyjean
    hace 10 años
    WOW! That is sooooooo nice right there and I LOVE the silvery gray pot right there with them, too. WOW again!
  • nguyenhuong85
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Right now the buffet is lower than the dining table, eventually I will install the buffet higher than the table.
  • abbyjean
    hace 10 años
    Will changing the height of the buffet later affect where you hang the pics now? Be careful with that.
  • nguyenhuong85
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    @abbyjean...I want to float the buffet so it will be 4 inches higher than the dining table and hang the pics 6 inches above the buffet. What do you think?
  • abbyjean
    hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    PERFECT! You have thought it all out. What I was wondering, though, is if you are WAITING to hang the buffet and hang the pics NOW, they will look.....funny....up that high in the meantime. Does 4 inches put it right about the base board?
  • nguyenhuong85
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    @ abbyjean and olldbobbie... Can the buffet be lower than the dining table?
  • abbyjean
    hace 10 años
    Personally? I would LEAVE it alone and keep it on the floor the way it is now.
  • abbyjean
    hace 10 años
    When I LOOK ACROSS the room in those first pics, I can still see the top of the buffet and that is a good thing.
    nguyenhuong85 agradeció a abbyjean
  • nguyenhuong85
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Which art frame do you guys like? Gray or yellow?
  • abbyjean
    hace 10 años
    Do you mean....should you switch the one on the floor with the ones above right now?
    nguyenhuong85 agradeció a abbyjean
  • nguyenhuong85
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    I have bought 2 styles.. One in gray that is sitting on the floor or yellow on the buffet
  • abbyjean
    hace 10 años
    Will you take one moment and switch them so I can SEE that other pic up there the same way? Hard to visualize and I am sooooo in love with what is there now.
  • lilchik
    hace 10 años
    I would definitely keep the yellow! Way more interesting.
  • abbyjean
    hace 10 años
    More interesting and I think the colors and size work better, too. The other one is NICE for that room, too.....do you want to keep it? Can it work on the wall where it was on the floor earlier?
  • nguyenhuong85
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Here is the other frame
  • abbyjean
    hace 10 años
    VERY nice, too, but I just love love love the other arrangement. Thanks for trying that one there for me to see!!! You have good taste!
  • nguyenhuong85
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Thank you all for taking your time & advices.
  • saya85
    hace 10 años
    Wow isn't it amazing how artwork can change the look in an instant?
    It completely transforms the accessories too.
    The first artwork - yellow, is very warm :) and better size.

The best way is always to cut paper to the size of your artwork and stick it to wall to see how it would look size wise, and how far apart it should be.

I also agree th buffet looks fine at that height... If it was higher it might interfere with the clear sight lines of dining table?
  • saya85
    hace 10 años
    On a separate note, and forgive me for advising on something you haven't asked about, but to really fill the space and make it come together as you wish, you may want to consider a large rug in future... Ideally it should be large enough so that once your chairs are pulled back, they are still sitting on the rug.
    That would make everything in proportion and set it all off perfectly :)
  • saya85
    hace 10 años
    It would reinforce the dimensions of room and give centre stage to your beautiful dining set and let it breathe
    http://houzz.com/photos/3178514

Think of it like a picture frame, with a wide mount :)
  • indianpatti
    hace 10 años
    Looks great! Love the yellow pics
  • PRO
    Pat Craig Studios, LLC
    hace 10 años
    I love the two artworks positioned above the buffet. If you give them air space of maybe, 4 to 6 inches between them, the hanging composition they create together will be elongated, recreating the long shape of the buffet below. I agree with keeping the buffet low at it's existing height, no reason to change it. If you're wanting to add some height and visual weight to the wall space, you could mount a narrow shelf over the buffet in a wood tone similar or the same as the buffet's finish & prop your artwork on top of the shelf, leaning against the wall. Ideally, the shelf would not be quite as long as the buffet, maybe 10 to 12 inches in from each end of the buffet. The slightly shorter shelf would support vertical artworks that again, would be slightly shorter in total width than the shelf. This triad configuration of buffet, shelf, artworks, would create a visual triangle, with the heaviest visual piece (buffet) anchoring the bottom, middle weight of the shelf in the center and flattest & lightest visual weight of the artworks at the top. The composition would be visually in balance & harmony. The triad configuration drawing the eye upward, also creating height in the room.
  • nguyenhuong85
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    @Saya85...thanks for all your advices... Yes, I am still searching for a larger rug...do you have any suggestion in color?
  • nguyenhuong85
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    @ Indianpatti & Pat....thank you..
  • saya85
    hace 10 años
    Yw :) I'm glad u r looking for a new rug, that's great!
    Colour wise I would go for something in between the beige chairs and the central brown wood of your dining table.
    It should be light enough for the dark woods to stand out, but dark enough to not blend into the floor ( and hide any stains! I'm forever dropping food on the floor lol)
  • saya85
    hace 10 años
    You could go for a natural weave rug to give it texture without being too fluffy
    http://houzz.com/photos/802362
  • saya85
    hace 10 años
    Or this with a border that could give you the darker hue you need
    http://houzz.com/photos/1970688
  • saya85
    hace 10 años
    But I really love a thin smooth rug like this under dining tables
    http://houzz.com/photos/38427
    Obv not that light in colour!
  • saya85
    hace 10 años
    Previous houzzers have mentioned rug stores allow you to try the rugs first... Not sure if that applies to where you're living but worth having a look
    :)

Also because you have so much else going on I don't think you should go for a patterned look or anything too colourful.
    Rugs are expensive, and if you buy something plain and versatile at least you could use it elsewhere later :)
  • nguyenhuong85
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Thanks saya85...
  • PRO
    Pat Craig Studios, LLC
    hace 10 años
    Several things to take into consideration when choosing a dining area rug. Rugs need to be large enough for chairs to move back & forth from the table without leaving the rug area. How much actual foot or eating traffic does your seating area really see? Is it the main eating area, or only for special occasions and rarely used. Dropped food & drink is also usually stepped on, especially drink splashes. You don't know they're happening until a dark spot forms on your floor or carpet from repeated foot traffic grinding dirt into the surface of the dropped food or drink. Most all beverages besides pure waters, leave a sticky residue that attracts & holds all other dirts. I'd take one of the art pieces along when rug shopping & choose something in mid tones, not light, that match or compliment the art. The rug you show now is very dark & combined with the dark table & chairs against a very light floor & light walls, creates a dark island in the middle of the room. A less textural, fluffy rug with a pattern to hide spills & treated to resist staining would work to visually tie your room pieces together creating a cohesive whole.
  • nguyenhuong85
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    @pat...your comment make sense..we only use the dining set when we have guest...you are right about the old rug that it is too dark..if you have any photo of the rug color that would be helpful...thanks for everything..
  • PRO
    Pat Craig Studios, LLC
    hace 10 años
    Sorry, I don't have a photo, but the artwork you want to hang over the buffet looks like it has some beautiful neutral tones in medium shades. I know they seem large to haul around, but they're your only color guide to where you're headed in your decor scheme. If you take one of them to the rug store & hold it up to various rugs, I'm sure a lot of 'wrong' rugs will jump out at you and help you find the color direction you need to go. The right rug's out there, it just needs help finding you.
  • nguyenhuong85
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    I am back from shopping online for area rug. Would any of these rugs work my space? Opinion or comments please?
  • saya85
    hace 10 años
    Ooh interesting... I like the pattern and lightness of the first one- but would it be too 'busy' for the room?
    I think second one would be too dark
  • PRO
    Pat Craig Studios, LLC
    hace 10 años
    I love them both! I don't think either would look too busy since the floor is a very large, calm neutral area holding the room together, and the walls appear neutral in tone as well. These neutral zones allow your artworks, furnishings & accessories to be the real focal points of your room. To add some 'zing' under the dining area and on top of the neutral floor base acts as your 'wow' factor, and I think either of these rugs will do that for you. If you use the room infrequently, and aren't walking across any edges of it in a direct, & often traveled traffic pattern, then the lighter one will keep the space more open in feel, & youthful. Being deeper in tone, the darker one can give the room a very mature feel by grounding the seating area as an island within the room. Sorry if this isn't helpful, but both rugs are fabulous fits for the room but for different reasons. Good luck, let us see your final choices all pulled together.
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.