Houzz Logo Print
webuser_479837455

kitchen island counter top redo

Sarah Powers
hace 5 años

we are redoing our kitchen but leaving the current islands footprint due to the sink and dishwasher being located there. We currently have a higher level on the island but in the remodel I am considering having the counter all one level. the first two pictures are my island currently and the second is what I am leaning toward doing.

keep higher top
all one level countertop

Comentarios (26)

• Sarah Powers
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    I totally agree! I was thinking 1 level would make the kitchen look bigger. the island is definitely a catch all and the second level hides the stuff well!
  • Sarah Powers
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

would this counter too and backsplash look good in the space? do they look good together?

• K R
    hace 5 años
    I love the counters but not sure about the backsplash with the cabinets. What color are you painting the room?
  • Sarah Powers
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

room was planned to stay it's current color. I'm just really trying to make that counter top work but maybe it's just not meant to be ? below is current wall color and another backsplash idea

• Sarah Powers
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

there is a pic of the backsplash with white cabinets

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    hace 5 años

This is a personal preference but don't like the thin edge of the granite in your inspiration photo. Prefer there to be some thickness to the edge along with some apron. Just looks better and more substantial in my opinion.

• Sarah Powers
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    totallu agree! I was thinking a totally different counter top and the edge you are describing. I was more showing the backsplash
  • NewEnglandgal
    hace 5 años

I really like the backsplash with the white cabinets in the picture above. If you love it, find a counter top that compliments the tile! There are so many choices out there. Do you want granite or are you looking more towards a quartz? 3 cm thickness would be better. I also like the look of one level for your island. I had the two tiered level like yours, renovated and made the island one level. LOVED it and it absolutely did open up the kitchen. I had my cooktop in the island. I had no trouble keeping it clean of mail or clutter. That went on the back counter lol

• Sarah Powers
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    I am open to a granite , quartz or quartzite! as long as it looks good!
  • kim k
    hace 5 años
    Can you post a pic of the other side of the kitchen? It’s really hard to match a BS to a counter until it’s installed and you can see both in the same lighting. I also vote one level. Why design around the potential of having clutter?? Keep it one level it will look so open and beautiful you’ll want to locate the catch all elsewhere :)
  • Sarah Powers
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>here is the other side of the kitchen
  • damiarain
    hace 5 años

Your picture didn't post... [here is the link[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/open-floor-plan-dsvw-vd~5616723) to your other post which has additional pictures

• Sarah Powers
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

here is the other side of the kitchen

• PRO
    Icon Building Group
    hace 5 años

I agree with Tetrachrome's earlier comment's and a single level top. Although the sink is not within the island you can envision how much more useful the countertop space can be.

• Sarah Powers
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    yes!
  • PRO
    D Old Granite LLC
    hace 5 años

granite will give a great reflection of the light;

• Sarah Powers
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    I love granite! I just don't want a typical looking one like at the big box stores. I am going to a huge warehouse in Farmington Hills , Mi to look tomorrow!
  • PRO
    D Old Granite LLC
    hace 5 años

cool, there are many quartzites, natural quartz and trachytes in the market, that don`t have that same look of old granites :)

• rantontoo
    hace 5 años

Look at leathered and brushed slabs too!

• Sarah Powers
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

so I found the PERFECT counter top. it's called Dinergy by Aurea stone. unfortunately it is a LOT more than the silestone calacatta gold that I was originally liking. So I am trying to think of ways to make it work with Dinergy. maybe do a solid color on the counter on either side of the stove and do Dinergy on the island? here are pictures of Dinergy. the veining is beige/taupe/cream instead if grey.

• damiarain
    hace 5 años

Pretty slab! Something to think about, due to the shape of your island, therell very likely be a seam - with such a bold pattern, this can be hard to match and a bad seam kind of ruins the whole thing. Possibly you could put this on your perimeter counters and pick a coordinating color with no/subtle pattern for the island

• Sarah Powers
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>good thinking. I should probably ask about the possibility of a seam. I don't have much counter space aside from the island. Im not sure it's even enough space to show that pattern. it's being priced out for me but they said it could be double- which is rediculous. that would mean 15 grand in countertops for my little kitchen?! these areas in either side of the stove is the only other counter space I have
  • Sarah Powers
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    is there a typical place that they would put the seam? like at the sink, so it would be a shorter seam?
  • damiarain
    hace 5 años

What are the dimensions of the island?

• Sarah Powers
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

these are the dimentions from the rough estimate, they have not been out to physically measure yet but it's close

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.