Houzz Logo Print
sandra_grimsley

Size of pendant island lighting

Sandra Grimsley
hace 5 años
I have an island that is 99” long in an open concept kitchen/breakfast/living area with 8 ft ceilings. I don’t want to clutter the area with lighting, so I’m wondering if 2 lights of 12” width will be enough for the 99” length. Here is a picture of the island and pendant. The next width would only give me about 2” in chain to hang and that is not enough for me. Scale wise, I don’t want them to look too small for the large island. Any opinion will be appreciated.

Comentarios (23)

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    hace 5 años

Do you mean length? the width of 12 is fine. But I dont think you have enough finish work to pick out pendants yet.

• pink_peony
    hace 5 años

12” might look wimpy on an island that length. Your pictures make it look like your ceilings are higher than 8’. Are your doors only 6’? Asking because you have what lookalikes foot aboutyour door? My island is a bit shorter than yours but my lights are 16” width. My ceilings are 10’4”. Your ceilings look higher than 8’.

• Cheryl Hannebauer
    hace 5 años

2 would be too small IMO- go larger or do 3 as suggested. Our island is 104 & we did 3, here is a photo>>

[houzz=https://www.houzz.com/photos/new-build-gabe-phvw-vp~126230138]

• kim k
    hace 5 años

My island is the same size, we have 7.5' ceilings... did 3 pendants.

dimensions according to Pottery barn (they're the large textured glass pendant) are

• Top Diameter: 2"
    • Bottom Diameter: 10"
    • Height: 9"
  • PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    hace 5 años

Those look great.

• kim k
    hace 5 años

Also I chose clear because I was afraid of visual clutter with the low ceilings. Seeing them up I think I would have been fine with something like the ones you posted. I think yours will look nice as long as you tie in the ORB color elsewhere like cabinet hardware.

• Sandra Grimsley
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    pink_peony I only wish the ceiling was more than 8’. The space feels as open as it looks and the ceiling height is really not bad. I just can’t wrap my head around the lighting, not just over the island. I’m having a hard time with the vanities as well. This is a property we purchased back home where my Husband and I grew up, at our home where we live my ceiling are 10’ and plus in some rooms. I may just finish everything else and then decide. I want the lighting to be the eye candy! Thanks for your advise.
  • Sandra Grimsley
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Kim k thanks for your picture. It helps to be able to see what the lights look like in the space knowing what the ceiling height actually is. Most pictures you don’t really know and just have to guess. I love those lights and considered them, but I wanted a chain or a pole for hanging, not just the cord. Your space looks great and the 3 don’t look crowded.
  • Sandra Grimsley
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    I agree Cheryl and Styling and Staging that 3 is most likely the way to go. Those 8’ ceiling are just making it hard for me. Standing at the island and thinking of them above it, makes it feel like it will be so crowded. Thanks for your opinion.
  • pink_peony
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

Have you ever thought of doing a flush mount that has some vertical length to it? Something like this

Or one single light that extends horizontally

Or even something like this. Larger circumstance but shorter height

These or one like them might be a consideration since you have plenty of horizontal room to work with it’s your vertical space that’s a challenge due to your 8’ ceilings.

• pink_peony
    hace 5 años

Broche 6 Light Antique Gold Semi-Flush · Más información

4-Light Antique Black Crystal Basket Semi Flush Mount Ceiling Fixture · Más información

Belita 3 Light Glass Lantern Semi Flush Mount Chandelier, Antique Bronze · Más información

Sparkling Glass Crystal 5-light Chrome Flash Mount & Chandelier 2 in 1 style · Más información

Convertible Chain Hang/Ceiling Mount · Más información

Crystorama Meridian 5-Light Antique Gold Chandelier · Más información

• kim k
    hace 5 años
    I wouldn’t recommend mine anyways the cord slips and the heights are impossible to make even. My electrician struggled with them and we even ordered an extra but it had the same issue drives me nuts that they’re not even. Also one shade has slightly thicker glass. I am disappointed overall with them.

I will tell you though i had your same worries and now having lights up i don’t mind at all. They don’t feel in the way or cluttered. Be more daring than i was!! Lol.
  • pink_peony
    hace 5 años

• Sandra Grimsley
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Pink_peony where did you find this light? I had wanted something in a darker color because the faucet and hardware are satin nickel, but this one just might work.
  • Cheryl Hannebauer
    hace 5 años

https://www.houzz.com/user/sandra-grimsley

Livex Lighting Milford Outdoor Hanging Lanterns, Brushed Nickel · [More Info[(https://www.houzz.com/products/livex-lighting-milford-outdoor-hanging-lanterns-brushed-nickel-prvw-vr~32938552)

I think this is the one>>> if it is it is from Houzz....click on more information

• pink_peony
    hace 5 años

Sandra if you click on the info for that photo it will link you to the light. It’s here on Houzz. It is called The Milford and it does come in different finishes. Several web sites sell it and the price is excellent.

• pink_peony
    hace 5 años

Well the photo didn’t show up trying again

• Sandra Grimsley
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Thanks ladies. I’m still faced with the same issue it seems no matter the light. The small may be too small for just two and the next size up for the right width, the height is too tall for 8ft ceilings. I’m just gonna have to try it with two and see how it looks. I just don’t think I want three lights. I’ll let y’all know how it turns out. Have a great weekend!
  • pink_peony
    hace 5 años

Sandra , you can do two but you need to make sure the height circumstance ratio is proportioned to your ceiling height and island size. So in a nut shell search for something that is short in height but has a large circumstance:width. Also a rod bs a chain will be more forgiving visually in a shorter length. Also don’t be afraid to put something up that wouldnt come up in an island light or pendant light search. You’re more likely to find what you need doing a chandelier search because because you want something large around. If two us what you want then make your Choice bold and intentional. Don’t hang two small scale lantern type lights up and expect them to work. Moving electrical and patching drywall etc. Is not cheap so really take your time until you find what is right. you could even do two of something like this for a Wow statement.

Rohan Collection Chandelier, 36"x19", 6-Light, Matte Black Finish · Más información

• Cheryl Hannebauer
    hace 5 años

look and see if you can find something in Exterior lights that also may work... love the chandy that pink posted :)

• Sandra Grimsley
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    I am going to get it right. Currently the wires are just up in the ceiling and only two, however, the electrical can add another. And he was so agreeable that we wait and cut those and the table light in that room when we get the table set in place. We did the same with the vanity lights, just left the wires in the wall. I told him that we wouldn’t be hanging any lighting till I had it all figured out. It was a renovation so there’re were recessed lights already in place so we have light!
  • Sandra Grimsley
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Well it’s done. Thought I’d share with all you that chimed in about my island lighting. I went with the fixture that I was asking about and only went with the two fixtures. I’m happy with the way it turned we out. For me three would have been too many.
Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.