Houzz Logo Print
stephanie_tortorici

Fireplace wall - what to do for cabinetry?

The wall in our living room with the fireplace has two 'alcoves' on either side. We've updated the wall with the fireplace to have porcelain tile all the way up, and are going to mount the TV on top - but not sure what to do with the sides, other than getting built in cabinets - but that's so pricey!

Any other suggestions? Would it look OK to just find cabinets that fit in the space but not perfectly?

One side is 45" wide and the other 44.5"

Comentarios (9)

• Stephanie Tortorici
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Thanks for your response, Jamie! Yes, this is a living room. We've added ink white porcelain tile (they do have some grey in them) up the fireplace wall (see photo - sorry, I thought it attached before) and there will be a TV mounted on top of the fireplace. The couches we've chosen are navy blue and a velvety fabric. I need some sort of shelves/cabinetry on either side to put the TV wires and box, but I'm trying to find an alternative to custom cabinets since its so expensive. I'm wondering if it will look good to just place two cabinets on either side with some artwork or a mirror on top. Thoughts?

• K Laurence
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

I have similar in my living room. One side is 8’ wide, the other is 5’ 6”. I placed a larger cabinet on the longer section & a sofa table with art above on the shorter. I didn’t try to match because of the disparity in widths. Plus , I think it looks more interesting than matchy - matchy.

Stephanie Tortorici agradeció a K Laurence
  • Sandra Martin
    hace 5 años

3/4 or 1/2 height custom shelving with small cabinets across the bottom are your best bet. But in the meantime you could put in floating shelves offset from each other. And then when you’re ready have the custom ones built in to coordinate with your other cabinetry and molding stylel.

Stephanie Tortorici agradeció a Sandra Martin
  • Stephanie Tortorici
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Thanks K, that's what I was thinking - might be more interesting! So you think its OK if the space is 45", but the cabinets I get are around 38"?

• PRO
    Precision Granite & Marble
    hace 5 años

This link is for 42" Console cabinets and tables - something you could fill the space with until you decide on something more permanent (Pretty sure the sizes are all over the place so just double check - google could be a blessing and a curse...)

https://www.google.com/search?q=42%22+Console&rlz=1C5CHFA_enUS737US737&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiriYKI4afgAhUN7awKHSZED_gQsxgIKw&biw=2049&bih=1216

• K Laurence
    hace 5 años

Why don’t your tape it out with blue painters tape to see if it looks to squished in, might be okay depending upon the cabinet style.

• Jamie Ludwig
    hace 5 años
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 5 años

you could do built ins, or semi custom built-ins, or just do shelving, maybe a built-in bench.

examples

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.