Houzz Logo Print
webuser_49974036231

Thermadore stove/oven burning back splash

lori tullman
hace 5 años

my 36 inch thermadore oven.stove range is burning my back splash. Thermadore says not their problem and appliance store not being helpful. 9inch stainless steel back splash abailable but not the look we want

Comentarios (19)

• PRO
    User
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

The clearances require a 5” space to the side and rear combustible surfaces, or it requires the high backguard. Or reframing the wall as a noncombustible assembly.

In addition, it has the more restrictive 36” vertical clearance to combustible materials above. That puts a wood encased hood pretty high off of the surface at 72” AFF.

Scorching is the first stage of burning, and the wood underneath that is undergoing pyrolysis, which makes the issue even more dangerous as it lowers the ignition point of the wood.

• lori tullman
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

we were not told any of this when purchasing this very expensive unit. Had we know we probably would have purchased something different. Very dissapointed all around. Thanks for your comment

• PRO
    User
    hace 5 años

All of the specs are readily available online. Your Kitchen Designer should have designed your kitchen with those in mind. I’m sorry that your designer let you down. Perhaps you can go back to her and have her design a remedy. At this point, putting in the back guard is your best choice. Have her buy it, and pay for its installation. This is a fire safety issue, and no one wants to risk a fire in their home!

• User
    hace 5 años

No, this isn't on Thermador or your appliance store. Other than the appliance store should have insisted that you check with your KD about the design and not ordering the backguard.

Your KD really goofed here. Pretty much all high BTU ranges have stringent clearance requirements. Did she also neglect to plan for the proper ventilation and the Make Up Air that high BTU cooking requires?

• nuppal
    hace 4 años

Curious what type of backsplash you have that would be burning. Can you post a picture?

• Shannon_WI
    hace 4 años

It was probably Quartz. There have been several threads on here about Quartz staining and even cracking behind a range due to the heat. Although this thread is 5 months ago, and the OP never returned, I don't think the OP is correct in blaming the Thermador or the appliance store. It think the blame lies in whoever installed the backsplash behind the range. They should have put a different material for just behind the range, like stainless steel, or tile.

• jmm1837
    hace 4 años

Putting tile up behind the range doesn't address the requirement for a proper separation between the range and combustible materials. Either you use the backguard or you build the wall with steel studs.

• Chessie
    hace 4 años

Old post, but I doubt the OP had a Kitchen Designer ( since she never came back to the thread). Most people don’t. And issues like this wind up falling squarely on the homeowner/buyer. It’s a shame that the appliance stores are not more informative.

• lori tullman
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

No chessie. We has a kitchen designer who was able to straighten everything out with the manufacture . We were missing the right exhaust. Thermadore

fixed our situation. No need for steel studs either

• Chessie
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

Very glad to hear it. Could you answer the question about the backsplash that was burned? What was the material, and what do you mean by exhaust - the range hood? Yours was insufficient?

• Shannon_WI
    hace 4 años

OK, it's frustrating that Lori Tullman returned after 5 months, and that was how she responded. Not helpful to others who might have this same situation. Let's assume it was Quartz then.

I'll link another thread on the topic to help others who might read this thread, and find themselves in a similar situation. In the linked thread, a poster provided this pic from page 1 of the Thermador range installation instructions. I'll make an assumption that this backguard is what Lori Tullman is talking about. I don't see any other solution, since she hasn't provided it.

Thread about Quartz Backsplash behind Range

• zmith
    hace 4 años

I don't think it really matters what kind of backsplash she had. Thermador's installation instructions are very clear. It gets confusing because most manufacturers ship the ranges with the island trim as standard, couple that with the plethora of pictures on Houzz of ranges with the island trim installed and they're pushed right up against a wall. That is a no-no. One must purchase the correct backguard depending on the installation method to be used. I think it's a copout for manufacturers to do this by the way. The taller backguard should be standard.

ETA, even in the Thermador showroom I visited they had the range with the island trim installed against a wall. Shame on them, right?!!

• catinthehat
    hace 4 años

Awesome thanks for posting that Shannon! Unfortunately online communities aren’t what they use to be 15-20 years ago. Many people who post are not interested in being part of the community, they’re just here for answers if the first 10 seconds of a google search didn’t work.

I agree with you, unless her hired designer specified a backgaurd made specifically for her range, the issue was not properly addressed since she also stated her wall was not modified. This is for the benefit of other future readers of this thread.

• Dawn Martinez
    hace 4 años

I have a Thermador range and the appliance store specifically asked about a back guard when I was purchasing appliances. I called my KD and she worked directly with the appliance store and then my GC regarding this issue. No back guard, the wall was modified, FWIW the specs are pretty clear on this and I downloaded all of those and provided them to my GC once appliances were selected.

• chispa
    hace 4 años

The other reason that we see lots of tile directly behind these ranges is that it gets passed/approved by the building inspectors and isn't questioned or given a second look by them. It has become the norm, seen all over Houzz and in mid/high end kitchens in my area, even though appliance specs might say otherwise.

The inspectors here will flip out if you don't have a diverter in the shower for 2 fixtures, but don't care that you might have combustible material too close to your 48" range.

• Fori
    hace 4 años

Island trim against a backsplash is even shown in manufacturer's brochures. It's not entirely fair to blame the customer for the oversight, especially when the things SHIP with island trim even though gas ranges are usually not installed in islands.

There have been photos posted of even tile being seriously scorched on the appliance forum. (Tile can probably be rescued, unlike quartz or stone that has a sealer.) There have, however, been no reports of anything worse than cosmetic damage.

If anyone has information about an actual fire caused by a bad backsplash, please do link to it, even if it is one of those apocryphal "friend of a friend" stories. :)

• tsmiller7
    hace 3 años

I hired a kitchen designer and have the exact same problem. Professional designer, prodes sip all appliance installer and professional countertop company and no one will take responsibility. The damage is so bad that adding a riser won’t work.

• User
    hace 3 años
    Última modificación: hace 3 años

Your kitchen designer can’t read specs? Doesn’t have errors and omissions insurance? Or are you confusing a cabinet seller with a kitchen designer?

Of course the backguard will work. You cut out the stone.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.