Houzz Logo Print
mojo_scotland

Corner sofa or Straight sofa?

Craig Morris
hace 5 años
Hi, I have created an area for a sofa and tv.

You will see that I have marked out some areas.

The tv unit.

The corner sofa, with small , open, side part.

Also the non-side part (straight version without the side part) - photos of the sofa attached.

What do you think is the best option.

My wife and I usually lie along a sofa.

Help needed

Thanks
Craig

Comentarios (16)

• PRO
    Ivy Ngeow Architecture & Interior Design
    hace 5 años

What is the width of the room? If space is an issue, then straight. A corner sofa is useful as a room subdivider only, because NO ONE but the dog or cat will ever sit on the L bit of the corner sofa. So if the room is not wide enough to subdivide, it is best to keep the central area clear. Hope that helps.

• Daisy England
    hace 5 años

If you each want to lie on the same sofa then I think it would have to be the corner sofa. One can lie down and the other across. If you have a straight sofa (only one as illustrated) then I can’t see that you’d fit two people on it to lie down.

• minnie101
    hace 5 años

I would probably go for a straight sofa with a small chair next to the radiator (will look more sociable) as I think the chaise will create a bit of a barrier to the room. Alternatively it may work with tv on opposite wall with the chaise part of the sofa against the grey wall. I think you'd only need a few inches gap between the radiator (?) and it would leave space for a floor lamp in the top left corner

• PRO
    BoConcept Manchester
    hace 5 años

I think both options would work for you, if you feel that the depth of the chaise is too long then you could opt for a 3 seater with a footstool. The footstool can be then used as a coffee table (with a tray on top), it can be pulled up to the sofa for when you're lounging and then when extra guests are around you have an extra seat.

What is good about your apartment is that you have an open space so for the extra guests you have the dining chairs to help when entertaining.

If you are worried about the size of the chaise then possible opt for a sofa with higher legs to soften the look and expression of the room, see below:

https://www.boconcept.com/en-gb/osaka/4331042AF298227.html?cgid=sofas

Good Luck and we hope you find a solution.

BoConcept Manchester.

• PRO
    George Bond Interior Design
    hace 5 años

Hi Craig,

I would opt for a straight sofa as this will make the room seem larger and more open. If you prefer to lounge a matching foot stool would be functional, and still make the space feel open.

Mirroring the wall opposite the radiator would be an inexpensive yet effective way to make the space feel much larger too.

Hope this helps!

• Craig Morris
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Hi, thanks for the replies....keep then coming, it’s helping a lot.

What about a straight sofa right along the grey wall...with the tv unit on the wall opposite the window?

Would that give the impression of more space?

The room is 11ft wide x 13ft long.
  • Daisy England
    hace 5 años

But do you both want to lie on it as you originally posted? That’s what will make all the difference. You aren’t going to lie on an armchair.

• janegrayshon
    hace 5 años
    I would definitely go for the straight sofa, we have just changed from a corner sofa it was the first time We had ever opted to buy a corner sofa when we moved house and the minute it was in the room I hated it with a passion they are extremely awkward to move about to clean but this is just my personal preference
  • PRO
    User
    hace 5 años

I vote corner but the other way around. I also changed the shape of the sofa to a rounded end to accommodate the nib on the wall at the rear ( but I was just being a fussy pants ).

Also put in an extra foot stool in case you had an argument and fancied one end each ! Everything is to scale and the sofa I used is 275cm x 190cm.

• Craig Morris
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Thank you so much for taking the time to do all the drawings - really appreciate that.

I’ll take those to my wife and we will choose one of those.

Thanks again :) :)
  • peachypear
    hace 5 años
    I love my chaise sofa, so comfy to lie on, and who doesn’t after a long day!. I also like the depth, it has deep seats, so that’s another thing to think about.
  • PRO
    Gerard Puxhe
    hace 5 años

Hi,

a sofa with chaise longue will work well.

Best

• Sarah
    hace 5 años
    If you both like to lie on the sofa then definitely go for a corner or a corner-chaise. It may not look as open/spacious, but you've got to strike the balance between looks and how you like to live. If you can't enjoy relaxing on the sofa then it defeats the point as you just won't use it. We had an amazingly comfy corner sofa which we (and our guests) loved but we had to change it to a 3 seater when we moved house and it just wasn't right for our room. I miss it so much and next time we buy a sofa I will absolutely be buying a corner or a corner-chaise. We like to lie on the sofa too and the 3 seater that we have is way too cramped.
  • boatenga
    hace 5 años
    I really wanted a sofa I could stretch out on but I don’t like the look of a corner sofa so I went for a matching sofa and ottoman that will sit in the middle of the sofa and act as a footstool / coffee table. Not done yet but like the below. Maybe one to consider?
  • PRO
    bubbles bathrooms and tiles
    hace 5 años

I agree with MATH, have a corner sofa but the other way so it doesn't close the room off and make your living area look small.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.