Houzz Logo Print
jenworldwide

Should I go to the dark side?!

jenworldwide
hace 5 años
Hi all,

Currently mid-way through an extension (open plan kitchen/diner/snug/playroom) and as part of the work, we have closed off the front room of the house to make a ‘grown up living room’.

I am really desperate to go dark at least somewhere, but I’m scared of hating it at the same time and everyone is so quick to give me all their opinions on why not to! This room is West facing and as it’s now blocked off, you can see it ‘as is’ in terms of light etc (picture was taken on a full day).

Anyone got any ideas? Or should I resign myself to being calm and neutral...elephant’s breath anyone? Help! :)

Comentarios (32)

• Emily
    hace 5 años
    Sometimes rooms painted white can look dark partly because they have a large dark sofa or dark carpet. I just say this to show that the items going in a room have a big effect. If you went dark walls but had light floor and some art pieces that are light together with your white shutters the walls won’t be so obvious but instead be part of a balanced scheme. I’d look at the dark Houzz schemes and think about what elements are making the schemes look good. I bet it isn’t the dark walls alone. It’s often the way available light highlights things (get some ambient lighting) and often how good things look against the dark walls. ? IMO anyway
  • Jen Star
    hace 5 años

Dulux has an app called visualizer which is really easy to use and gives quite good indication of what will look like.. I used it before painting a small bedroom very dark.

• Carolina
    hace 5 años

I think you should. Think it will be a lovely, cosy room. Check out this thread, she painted it F&B Inchyra Blue (scroll down for the almost finished result).

https://www.houzz.co.uk/discussions/what-to-do-with-uneven-alcoves-dsvw-vd~5453092

Or go over to the medium dark side.

What will be on the floor? What's the furniture like?

• Anthony (Beano)
    hace 5 años
    I had this dilemma a short time ago, I painted my on wall in my living room a crown dark grey and the rest in f&b pavilion grey, it looked well(ish) but something didn’t sit well, possible the imbalance of the fireplace, alcoves and the dark colour all on one side, just made it seem heavy, I painted two more walls the same dark grey along with all the skirtings and doors! Wow! What a difference, yes it’s dark and yes I have two ambient lights (that really are needed to set the room off but I love it! It’s so rich looking, don’t get me wrong, if I ever have to sell I’ll paint it all white as most wouldn’t get it but for the next few years it’s staying! At the end if the day it’s just paint, you can change it.
  • PRO
    Marina Drobot at Cinnamon Space
    hace 5 años

We had an open plan kitchen living space in a south west facing flat. the kitchen had dark cabinets. so we painted the kitchen wall charcoal black so the kitchen cabinets blended in.

it did not have any negative impact on the natural light in the room.

• jenworldwide
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Carolina, thanks for your comment and for sharing the link. Funnily enough it’s Inchyra Blue that I have become fixated on, so it was great to see this!
  • jenworldwide
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Marina, fab pictures, thank you for sharing these
  • PRO
    Fitted Lifestyles
    hace 5 años

I think you should go for it. I have worked in several homes recently that have dark grey walls & it looks really stylish & modern! I hope this helps.

A couple of examples:

https://www.houzz.co.uk/projects/5243780/elegant-grey-media-unit

https://www.houzz.co.uk/projects/1850115/open-plan-low-level-media-unit-with-integrated-banquette-seating

• PRO
    Marina Drobot at Cinnamon Space
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

some ideas from Houzz

Rear extension, Loft Conversion, Total Internal Fit Out · Más información

Belsize Park, Kitchen · Más información

and Farrow & Ball: Hague Blue dining room

• Juliet Docherty
    hace 5 años

It's only paint, I would do it if you are tempted. There are so many images of Inchyra Blue walls so you know it will look beautiful but it will take a lot of light out of the room but that won't matter if you use it mainly in the evenings. Dark rooms look beautiful when lit with lamps.

jenworldwide agradeció a Juliet Docherty
  • jenworldwide
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Have just been back through all my saved ideas and found this, I think it’s just beautiful and I think from now on, this is what I’m working towards....

F&B’s Hague Blue and I also have the Swoon brass fronted side board, so maybe that’s a sign! ❤️

• Carolina
    hace 5 años

I don't think that you will regret it. Good luck. Keep us posted!

• jenworldwide
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    I will, thanks so much for your help
  • Anthony (Beano)
    hace 5 años
    That possibly won a design award? think it was a feature
  • jenworldwide
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Yes I think so. My_london_home on Instagram...found it by doing a lot of hashtag searching! :)
  • Carole Menzies
    hace 5 años
    This is the lounge in my last house. It started cream and looked so bland and cold. Painted it Hale Navy from Benjamin Moore and it came to life!
  • jenworldwide
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Wow Carole, I love it! That’s a gorgeous colour and I love the bright accent colours you put with it, thanks for sharing it
  • Resh
    hace 5 años

Go dark! it can feel very intimate and cosy. this is our living room, which is west facing. I should send a pic with the Christmas tree in it - feels very seasonal right now, but is a great space for relaxing during summer too.

#TheLondonHomeDesignAwards · Más información

#TheLondonHomeDesignAwards · Más información

• PRO
    User
    hace 5 años

What are you going to do with the Fireplace? I think i'd decide on the design for that before trying to find a wall colour, as the two will go together. If you're having exposed brick all over, you may decide on a different colour to that of one if you were going with plaster and some exposed brick.

Here I think the blue works best with the full exposed brick look.

Thus i'm guessing if you went with a plaster front with some exposed brick, it would be better to have two colours from the same palette, darker in the alcoves and lighter on the face.

Of course you may want to do the whole room in the dark colour.......super sophisticated

I think i love this look

jenworldwide agradeció a User
  • jenworldwide
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Hi Resh, your living room is stunning!! Thanks for the pics, I love the plants and lighting too, great inspiration.
  • jenworldwide
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Hi Man About the House, thanks for the mock ups, really helpful. We’re having a wood burner installed and so far the brick work sadly seems pretty poor and so our thoughts were to plasterboard and have an oak sleeper as a mantle piece, so think your last pic is pretty spot on!
  • jenworldwide
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Also now thinking Little Greene’s Juniper Ash could be a top contender. Does anyone have it in their house? Less examples available to see online than e.g. Hague or Inchyra blue. Samples are on their way.
  • jenworldwide
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Gorgeous Nisha - it looks so rich! I've ordered lots of A3 card so I can paint all my samples and try to start making some decisions soon. Thanks for the pics

• Anthony (Beano)
    hace 5 años
    @nisha very mid century! Love it:-)
  • Martin
    hace 5 años

Go for it. We went for Inchyra Blue in our 2nd bedroom. Only did the chimney breast at first because we were concerned it would be too dark as it's north east facing and it only has a small window. But it didn't look right so we did the whole room and put a light grey carpet down and i love it. You could put up a picture rail and paint it white above it if you're worried it will be overbearing

• Nisha Parekh
    hace 5 años
    @beano Thank you :)

@jenworldwide Thanks... Good luck with the samples! Let us know how you get on with them...
  • Resh
    hace 5 años

jenworldwide - my mother has been in touch. It turns out that our parents are friends and that you and I went to nursery school together! Small world. I have sent your Mum an e-mail...get in touch and we can chat renovations!

Anyway, dark is good. This is the living room from our last (1930s) house. F&B Hague Blue (fantastic colour) in a north-facing room.

• Sonia
    hace 5 años

I’ve painted one wall in my kitchen with Little Green’s Woad (a bit darker than Juniper Ash) and we both love it. You could always do, say, the fireplace wall first and see what you think. I especially like dark walls with white woodwork. Go over to the dark side, you won’t regret it!

• Sal89
    hace 5 años
    Wow Resh love your living room! It looks like something out of a magazine. Did you design it all yourself? I have a living room that will mostly be used in the evening and I think it would actually be nice to do it dark and cosy.
  • Resh
    hace 5 años

Hi, and thanks! Yes, no interior designer for our house - did it ourselves, which is all the fun, really!

• bchillman5
    hace 5 años
    Great to see all the votes for dark here. Sooooo bored with all the endless white/neutral rooms you see. We’ve just spent a year living in the all white house we moved into, and are finally getting round to decorating. So many people looked at our paint samples and were clearly horrified but we love our new rooms! So much more warmth and character. Just trust your instincts - I find rooms will tell you their character over time. We still have pale colour upstairs - loft conversion, needed to be airy - but love curling up in our cosy living room (Valspar April Rain, budget doesn’t run to F&B!), and our spare room (Dulux Starlit Night 2) feels like a boutique hotel, if boutique hotels came with cats sleeping where they’ve been told not to!
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.