Houzz Logo Print
angm47

Knock walls down or not?

Angie
hace 5 años

Hi All,

My son and his fiancee are in the process of buying their first home together and have had an offer accepted. It's a bit of a renovation project, although the house was only built in around 2000. The kitchen needs to be ripped out and started again. They want to knock the kitchen through to make one room downstairs and upstairs plan to take out the fitted wardrobes and airing cupboard. The house currently has electric storage heaters. Their plan is to have a combi boiler in the kitchen so they will not need a cylinder upstairs. There is gas to the property.

So my question is whether anyone can suggest the best way to arrange the kitchen area, given it is so small? Is it a good idea to open it up (building regs?) or would it be optimal to keep at least some of the existing walls in place?

It's a mid terrace, so party walls will come into the equation of course.

They are on a tight budget, so extending to the back is out (at least for now). They want to get a dining table in as well as a breakfast bar.

If anyone has time on their hands and fancies playing around with this they will be most grateful. (And I really need to suggest they sign up to Houzz and ask their own questions!)

Many thanks, Angie. (Floor plan attached, I hope.

)

Comentarios (10)

• Huw Buckley
    hace 5 años

Have the large room as a kitchen diner/dayroom with kitchen along r/h wall and under window, and the smaller room as a tv room/snug? Upstairs defo rip out the 2 cupboards and wardrobe!

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    hace 5 años

I do not like narrow corridors. If it possible to take down wall between kitchen and corridor completely or partially to make one an open space?

• Huw Buckley
    hace 5 años

Having lived in a 2 bed terrace myself, I was grateful it had a proper hallway separate from the front room, so I could store coats, shoes etc away from the main living areas.

• PRO
    hace 5 años

It is called as an open concept plan and is very common.

• PRO
    hace 5 años

St Mary`s Place, Weybridge · Más información

• PRO
    Opun
    hace 5 años

Dear Angie,

How exciting for your son and fiance buying and renovating their first home.

We all know that getting the layout right is the most important thing you need to do when you renovate.

The ground floor interior layout needs careful planning and take into consideration what are the young couple’s plans concerning the house for the present and near future.

If an extension is relevant in the next 3-5 years, I would suggest drawing plans with an extension in mind for the current renovation. Having a plan in hand including the extension, will enable them to make the best decisions in terms of where to locate each function (kitchen, diner etc.).

This will also let them see where and on what would be best to spend their present budget.

For the first floor, I would take out the built-in wardrobes/ airing cupboard and enlarge the rooms.

Good luck in the renovation and congratulations to the young couple.

Opun - Your Home Improvement Experts

• Angie
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Thanks for the ideas. Much appreciated.
    Any suggestions for kitchen layout if keeping the walls. Maybe an opening through to sitting room (large window-like gap rather than a serving hatch) which could double as a breakfast bar? Scope for larder cupboard or is it just too petite?
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    hace 5 años
    You could fit two tall cabinets for a Pantry and FF in if you had both as left hand hinged - but if you want a DW and WM as well as an oven - it doesn’t leave that much room for actual cabinets !
  • Angie
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    I think there may have to be sacrifices! But they'll have to work it out for themselves. I shall share this thread and they can take it from there. Thanks for all the ideas. Much appreciated.
Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.