Houzz Logo Print
henry_kuska

Lafter - a rose you may want to consider growing.

henry_kuska
hace 5 años
última modificación:hace 5 años

I have no personal experience with this rose; but if I was younger, I would be trying it.

http://rosebreeders.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=56027

http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.3725&tab=1

Comentarios (19)

• PRO
    Hummingbird Roses
    hace 5 años

I grow it, and it's a beauty for sure. I love the name too!

• lkayetwvz5
    hace 5 años

Caldwell Pink also RRD resistant! Need to search this one also.....

• lkayetwvz5
    hace 5 años

I searched Caldwell Pink last night and came up with an anomaly - Caldwell Pink or Pink Pet, one is listed as a polyantha and the climbing Pink Pet is listed as a climbing china?

vaporvac - do you know which yours is and where it came from?

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    hace 5 años

There's discussion on provenance, but I believe they are all the same rose (unless it climbs) I didn't know there's a climber as I'd love one. Oddly enough, 2 of mine were cuttings probably from Chamblees or one of the old rose nurseries and the grafted one came from Menard's as Caldwell Pink.

• lkayetwvz5
    hace 5 años

Apparently ARS reclassified Pink Pet/Caldwell Pink from a polyantha to a china. Rogue Valley Roses is growing both Climbing Pink Pet and Climbing Caldwell Pink. He states that he is comparing the two to see if there is a difference. His info or cuttings on his roses came from Ashdown. Either way all references say hardy to zone 6 at best, more like 7, so not here.

• barbarag_happy
    hace 5 años

Caldwell Pink is widely used in landscaping in Texas; in habit it is like a polyanthus so its interesting to hear it has been reclassified by ARS. It is slow to come out of dormancy in the spring-- one of the last to bloom in my garden of teas and chinas, so I'm to surprised to hear that it is so cold-hardy.

Mine is a more upright grower than the Fairy but with similar sprays of small blooms; mercifully, Caldwell Pink is less thorny!

I know ARE is advertising Caldwell Pink and Lafter as being RRD-resistant but must say I am skeptical.

hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

Hmm. I've seen PP growing quite large in a Z5b garden. We'll see how it does for me. Perhaps the climber is less hardy. I need to research this as I'd love the climber.

• Jemma Z10Socal
    hace 2 años

Vapirvac did you end up getting the climber? I need a rose for my small white picket fence and looking for roses that bloom all the time, I'm wondering if reuglar pink pet will work if I get a bunch of them or if I should get the climber.

hace 2 años

No. I still have 5 bush form and theyre about 5+ feet in my virtual yZ5b area. Im generally in a yZ6b pocket. Ive seen a giant example growing two hours north of me in Columbus, OH. At leasty 7 feet tall every year. I would definitely rate this to a lower zone than 6. Love PP with its wafting clove scent.😊

• Jemma Z10Socal
    hace 2 años
    Última modificación: hace 2 años

Thanks for the quick reply. Oh wow that is big. I need it to stay small for the fence height. I think the average white picket fence is 3feet high. Okay back to the drawing board =/

hace 2 años

Where do you live? I think it would be great for 3' high fence. I don't know why that 1 grow so huge as probably 75 years old and they don't prune it. My could easily be cut shorter. I don't My could easily be cut shorter. I don't prune this rose because I I want it to be taller. I would think the average fences I would think the average fence is more 4' high. 3' tall is very short.Some of the repeat ramblers might grow nicely along a fence that size. Does it have to be pink? I have to look up your location again. Some of the hybrid must might be lovely such as Felicia And Cornelia. Mels heritage would be nice. I have about 70 climbers so I have to think about this for a while.

hace 2 años

There is also a climbing version of the fairy which has very limber cane's. It's very charming climbing through evergreens for I have seen it. I planted a couple last year at my friend's house so I'm anxious to see how they're doing there. He has rampant RD in 1 area and we cannot find the source.

• Jemma Z10Socal
    hace 2 años

I live in zone 10A , San Diego. I do not have the fence yet, so I was just guessing what I thought was the average height =). The area is not that big, I need to measure the length so I would need the climber to be small. Or I was thnking of getting a bunch of rose shrubs that arch a little so they look like vines on the fence.

I'm going to paint the business white and the fence white so I would like peachy, blush pink, mauve, or purple colors. Something that rebloooms a lot. I do not need fragrance.

hace 2 años

A bunch of bushy roses are quite pretty. I have that in front of my ballustrades. The only problem is sometimes they are so thick you cannot see the structure! That is an advantage of the climbers and part of their romance. They allow the structure to peep through. I'm still thinking Felicia would be lovely there and I know someone in your zone grows it and it does well for them. However I know California has a lot of micro zone so I'll have to try to remember where she lives. Purple skyliner is another charmer that blooms a lot. Maybe take a look at Nahema Or the generous gardener. Both have fantastic fragrance as a bonus. Quite frankly, if you don't have to worry much about rain I take a look at climbing clotilde soupert. However she may fry in your intense sun.

• Jemma Z10Socal
    hace 2 años

Thank you! I have to google them. I was told to look into the fawn. I'm hoping to find a rose that wont fade right away as well. I know tall order here ;p

hace 2 años

The person who grows Felicia also grows the fawn and loves this rose. I do not personally grow it so cannot comment but have longed to do so. You might also look at Cinderella fairy tale. This is a very lovely rose and grows beautifully for me so would probably do so in your harsher environment. It's a very romantic rose and would suit a white picket fence

• Jemma Z10Socal
    hace 2 años

I just got a baby cinderella ft last week. I can't wait to see it when it gets bigger. Well hopefully their name will come to you later. Thanks a lot =)

hace 2 años

Lisa!!!!!

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.