Houzz Logo Print
katharine_johnson59

Tile over terrazzo (i think)? Anyone have experience?

Katharine Johnson
hace 5 años
última modificación:hace 5 años

Hi! So we are tiling our bonus room in a 1957 MCM. There is currently carpet in this room. Found tile. Found installer. We are to to do pull-up of the carpet, I start to pull up the carpet and we find orange terrazzo tile. No cool pattern, it's not in-situ and doesn't contain any cool rocks. So while I LOVE vintage things, like Terrazzo floors, I'm sad to say, I'd rather cover this tile.

Is this doable? Has any one ever done something crazy like tile over Terrazzo? Was it crazy expensive prep, did the tile come up? Should I just float wood or laminate?

We are kinda overwhelmed to find this out after deciding on tile and committing to the design. The installer says he will use an appropriate bonder after chemically stripping. Does that sound right?

Sorry for the awful pic. It's disgusting what is under carpet padding, but the grey stuff is dirt not pitting of the tile. The tile is glossy and really cold. and ugly.

Comentarios (7)

• PRO
    Coates Design Architecture + Interiors
    hace 5 años

You can go over the terrazzo. It is really no different than concrete.

Ask your installer to use use thinset. Good luck with your project!

• H202
    hace 5 años

As someone who owns a midcentury house where the original floor was at some point removed, and then was tiled from wall to wall circa 1999 in BROWN, and dreams of getting a quote for terrazzo for less than $100,000..... my heart weeps. But i get it. You can drop tile right on top.

• PRO
    Princeton Design Collaborative
    hace 5 años

I agree with H202. The other alternative is to restore the terrazzo to its natural glory. I am sure with the correct terrazzo guy on board that can be done with amazing results.

• PRO
    Johnson Flooring Co Inc
    hace 5 años

Maybe I'm wrong but that looks an awful lot like rubber or vinyl tile, not terrazzo. The only terrazzo tile I'm familiar with is Fritztile and it's pretty rare. You most likely have vinyl composition tile, possibly containing asbestos. If so, it would be 1/8" thick or less and somewhere between 8" x 8" to 12" x 12". You probably shouldn't lay tile over it.

• Katharine Johnson
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

@Johnson Flooring Co Inc It is definitely not rubber or vinyl. It is some kind of stone and its seams are much larger than 12 x 12.

• PRO
    Johnson Flooring Co Inc
    hace 5 años

Seams in VCT or VAT can be almost invisible. What size are the tiles?

Terrazzo is marble chips in a base of epoxy or mortar. That doesn't look like terrazzo to me and in Florida I've seen a lot of it. The colored chips do not look like marble chips.

Whatever it is I'd have someone dig at it a bit before planning to put anything over it. What do you see where it meets another floor at a doorway or at the perimeter of the room?

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.