Houzz Logo Print
sam_potter37

I finished a room! Clutter and colour issues?

Sam Potter
hace 5 años

I've finally got one room of my house finished but need help taking it to the next level. You'll see my style from the photos but I'm hoping to get tips on making it more cohesive, without losing the Bohemian/eclectic feel. I think accent colours and removing some items may help.
What will be staying are the bookshelves, curtains, rug, chair, TV and fender.
What will be going is the table in the bay window and possibly the coffee table too ( to be replaced by a slightly smaller one).
Any ideas?

Comentarios (111)

• Sam Potter
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    minnie101 , that's true. OK!
  • AMB
    hace 5 años
    Sam, where did you get your curtain rail from?
  • Sam Potter
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

AMB, https://www.terrysfabrics.co.uk/products/fineline-curtain-track-antique-brass.
    I'm very pleased with them. They're very strong - needed for heavy velvet- and super cheap. We have had a slight issue with a 'snag' where one track joined the next. Only on one side so I think it was an installation ( by my bf) issue rather than manufacture. We sorted it by sanding down the joint to reduce the bump, and I just give the left hand curtain a little flick as I close it and it works fine. I'm planning on buying another track as I still have a super kitsch pompommy velvet valance to fit. I plan on moving the slightly 'snaggy' track up about 6" for the valance and buying another set for the actual curtains.

• AMB
    hace 5 años
    Thanks Sam, that's really useful!
  • Sam Potter
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Hi all

I dug out some 'before' and 'in progress' pics of the room from my work computer today. It was such hard work , and included a trip to A&E after falling through an old door balanced on the scaffold platform, and three months off working at height due to a gammy leg, but it's been totally worth it.

• Sam Potter
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

• Sam Potter
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

• AMB
    hace 5 años
    Did you fix the plaster coving yourself?
  • Sam Potter
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Yup , restored it by stripping off 100+ years of paint with a warm porridge poultice, covered in clingfilm and left three days before scraping /prising off the paint bit by bit with plastic knives and a screwdriver. It was slow but enjoyable work and the difference was dramatic. Took a long time though.
  • Carolina
    hace 5 años

Definitely worth all the blood (literally), sweat and tears.

• Anthony (Beano)
    hace 5 años
    That actually looks fantastic!
  • Sam Potter
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Thanks Beano. Here's tonight's project:

• Carolina
    hace 5 años
    Looks fab!
  • Jonathan
    hace 5 años
    I love that console. Personally I think it has earned its right to have legs!
  • Sam Potter
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Jonathan, yup. totally works. Did you advise me to make it like that because you'd seen/done something similar, or was it more of a hunch?
  • Jonathan
    hace 5 años
    You do sometimes see painted furniture with a natural wood top but it’s not often you also see the drawers unpainted too so I think you have a unique piece. Well done- it looks lovely.
  • dianahartaboyne
    hace 5 años
    I think you’ve done a great job on the room colours and textures. I would pay attention to the bookshelves to make them more of an artistically arranged feature...a beautiful glass vase, flowers, books arranged attractively, some horizontal, a photo or artwork interspersed etc..
    I like your coffee table but think a non wood choice would lift the feel as there is quite a dark, woody feel already. I love the table in the window alcove, especially with the pumpkin on it! Good luck, I’m sure you’ll do great.
  • Sam Potter
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Thanks Diana hb. The shelves are in the process of being restyled in just the way you suggest (though half my books are still in boxes so I'm going to need more shelves elsewhere) . I do need a lighter coffee table ( glass topped has been suggested), and if you look at the most recent photos you'll see the fate of the table in the window ;-)
  • T Gray
    hace 5 años

The room is looking wonderful, you have done some brilliant stuff in there. I actually really like the sofa in there rather than the throw. One little change I would make though is to pop the bulldog cushion on the chair with a coordinating throw and get a plainer blue cushion that ties in with the wall colour on the sofa instead. Bringing the chair forward on to the rug and at an angle will make the seating area cosier.

You have done a great job on that room and your hard work is really inspiring. Thank you for sharing.

• Sam Potter
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Thanks T Gray. The novelty cushions are all my daughters'. I've tried banishing them to bedrooms but they creep back. At some point I will have a cushion-making evening and the dog is going to get a bed made from spare curtain material. It has been hard work but I've loved it. Only the rest of the house to do now!
  • PRO
    LOLA PARIS fábrica decoración mural en tejido 3D
    hace 5 años

I love the mini reading desk. What a great and creative idea! Well done :)

• Sam Potter
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Thanks Lola Paris, I've yet to discover if it works as a 'work from home' spot. I liked sitting at the table in the bay window with a view, but couldn't justify the space for a full sized table when I only work from home occasionally.
  • PRO
    LOLA PARIS fábrica decoración mural en tejido 3D
    hace 5 años

It will depend on how much space do you need to your "work from home" Lol. But I am sure you will figure out .Anyway it is a great idea.

• Sam Potter
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Bit of an old thread but useful for me to keep track of my renovation. Thanks all for table advice. Here's what I've ended up with. Tenner!

• Anthony (Beano)
    hace 5 años
    I really like your style! Eclectic done properly :-)
  • PRO
    Johnson Bespoke Ltd
    hace 5 años

It's great when an interior is so creatively put together and a real reflection of ones personality. Awesome job!

• Sam Potter
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Aw shucks! Thanks both!
  • rinked
    hace 4 años

The comment about your grey livingroom tickled my curiosity.

IT LOOKS FANTASTIC!!

Now I want to go on and paint my entire living room the dark moss-grey I used in the dining area.

Husband says he likes dark livingrooms too :) Right now most is white.

Did I mention the 'front room' has a powdery pink ceiling? Would look great with the moss!

• Gabby Wong
    hace 4 años

I think when you finish you should do a separate post... basically full of the pics of before and after for various rooms! Your creativeness (& determination) is fabulous!

• Sam Potter
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Go for it Rinq. It's just paint. Though I'd be tempted by those red and gold inspo pics on the recent dilemma post.

• Sam Potter
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Gabby I'd love to do that, if I ever get finished!

• rinked
    hace 4 años

Wisdom of today: It's just paint.

TY

I wonder how this could be an 'issue', my last rentals were every color of the rainbow and before that so was my hair! And now, on my first true renovation, our own house, it suddenly feels so serious.

• Sam Potter
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Exactly, surround yourself with what makes you feel happy. The answer lies within.. Etc.

• rinked
    hace 4 años
    Última modificación: hace 4 años

Getting philosophical or is it the heat that makes my brain slow down? (last few days were 30C+ over here.. I prefer 23C summers)

• Sam Potter
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

I'm sad because it's lovely here in Newcastle today but I'm back at work after a beautiful Bank Holiday weekend in which I sat on my stairs and landing painting bannister spindles ;-)

• T Gray
    hace 4 años

Love your room Sam, it just looks lovely and homely and livable. Coincidentally I too have been painting spindles, (we have finally got around to doing the hall, will do a post once done). What is your spindle painting technique as I am finding it to be an utter faff?

• Sam Potter
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

T, If there is a trick I don't know it! It took all day and I ended up with my arms and hands covered in paint. I'm going to start the second coat tonight.

• AMB
    hace 4 años

Maybe try a paint glove?

• Sam Potter
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

AMB, genius. Why didn't I think of that?

• PRO
    OnePlan
    hace 4 años

One of those ‘dusting mits’ is perfect for this - can be a bit mess though !!

• PRO
    OnePlan
    hace 4 años

*messy !!

• rinked
    hace 4 años

Let me know how that sock-technique works out!

Here's a mini version

• Sam Potter
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

So many questions, Rinq. Ones not covered by the talk we got from the school nurse.

• rinked
    hace 4 años

Bwahahaaaah!

Some things can only be learned 'first hand'.

• E D
    hace 4 años

Haha, not one, but two comedians!

:-)

• Sam Potter
    Autor original
    hace 4 años

Funny you should say that ED; a friend and I just decided to do our compilation show again at Edinburgh next year. We did it for the first time in 2017. It's called Laugh begins at Forty and has five or six different comedians over 40 performing every day. I'd better get the house finished!

• Sergio Bocos
    hace 4 años

Nice color combinations. The fireplace picture is beautiful! thanks for sharing

• T Gray
    hace 4 años

Just bought a paint glove, well more like a mitten really, from Amazon. will report back how it goes!

• AMB
    hace 4 años

Please do! Although I suggested it, I've never tried one.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.