Houzz Logo Print
sowkmom

Do you prefer the microwave in upper cabinet or lower?

sowkmom
hace 5 años

Trying to decide if I want my microw in upper cabinet or lower. I currently have an over the range microwave which I will be getting rid of in the remodel. What do you prefer?

Comentarios (25)

• PRO
    David Coleman / Architecture
    hace 5 años

We almost always locate the microwave in the lower cabinets these days - it seems to be most clients' preference.

sowkmom agradeció a David Coleman / Architecture
  • iamtiramisu
    hace 5 años

If your budget allows for the drawer, that seems to be popular; however, if you are going for an average/inexpensive countertop model, then put it in an upper cabinet so it's eye level. Countertop microwaves in an island or under the counter is great for kids or shorter people, but for average or tall people it's just a nuisance and completely impractical.

• Keiko Childs
    hace 5 años

We just have a cheapo Hamilton Beach microwave. We decided to put it inside a pantry cabinet, and it's slightly taller than counter height, so you almost reach straight in. I decided against doing the microwave in the lower cabinets because a) we don't want or need an expensive inset microwave, b) I don't want to have to replace an expensive inset microwave if it breaks, and c) I don't want to have to bend over to use it.

sowkmom agradeció a Keiko Childs
  • skmom
    hace 5 años
    I have just a countertop microwave under the counter on the working side of my island. I didn’t have room in my pantry, nor did I have the space to dedicate an upper cabinet to it. I thought about a drawer microwave, but we just don’t use ours enough. We are a larger family of seven, all kids are aged 16 and up, and those not graduated are homeschooled, so our kitchen gets a lot of use... but we don’t even use our microwave on a daily basis so I just wasn’t willing to spring for a drawer microwave. I haven’t found it difficult to use at all... the only real inconvenience is that it’s difficult to see the digital display without bending over. However, let’s get real, most of us use the same couple of functions on a microwave over and over, and it’s pretty easy to memorize where those buttons are without looking at the digital display. I’m the shortest person in my family, but at 5’6” I have never considered myself to be short. The majority of my family are around 6’ or just a bit over, so not super tall either..l but not short. Maybe if I still had young kids, that might be a hassle to have the microwave at that level... kids pushing buttons for the fun of it... but it’s just not an issue for us anymore. Hope that helps!
  • skmom
    hace 5 años
    Oh yeah, one of those pictures I added so that you could see there is open space on the sides of the microwave. That’s needed with a countertop model. ;)
  • Boxerpal
    hace 5 años

I put my microwave inside a cabinet that can close... It is very similar to this one below. But i have more counter space to work with. The MW is at chest level not waist level as the photo below.

Midwest Family Compound · Más información

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    hace 5 años

If I'd had room, it would have been built in above a wall oven, but I did not have room. I don't like the drawers - have tried them at son's house and it killed my back bending over to see the controls. I just bought a small, cheap one at Best Buy and have it on my counter next to my refrigerator. I use it nearly daily and want it easily accessible. It's perfect there, next to my KA, which I also want easily accessible!

• KBH
    hace 5 años

We had it in the lower cabinet just under the counter to the left of the range. I loved it and was glad I didn't take away top cabinet space for it, plus I didn't want to look at it eye-height. I didn't want to dedicate $1,000 to a drawer, so just had a space built (we did custom cabs) to approximate the microwave, plus I added an inch all around for replacements. I've since moved and we're doing another kitchen soon, and will do the same thing again. Couldn't find any other pics - you can see it to the left of stove.

• K R
    hace 5 años
    Another vote for drawer. I had an above range microwave for 20 years, make that several as my kids always found a way to slam and therefore break doors. No more of that problem with the drawer, plus it’s just got that coolness factor.
  • K R
    hace 5 años
    LOL don’t dogs always go to where the food is! How cute.
  • evantg
    hace 5 años

I went with just under the countertop now. Used to have one over the built-in oven (at eye level) but it was too high for my wife.

To me perfect height would be right over the countertop but we liked the clean and open look of countertops without appliances on it, so drawer or built-in right under is a good compromise.

• sowkmom
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Thanks for the replies! I hadn’t thought about the pantry..I might see if I have room for it in there. I don’t really want to spend $$ on a drawer.. love all the the kitchen photos!

• skmom
    hace 5 años
    Pantry would’ve been my first choice if I’d had the room. If I ever get to design a home, a large pantry is something I’d like again.
  • User
    hace 5 años

Am I allowed to say that I keep it on my countertop? Sounds like it's taboo.

sowkmom agradeció a User
  • morz8 - Washington Coast
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

Mine in this kitchen is almost none of the above ;0) It's built in, a little lower than it would be placed in an upper cupboard, but a few inches higher than if it were to sit on a counter. I find it a good height at just about chest level to me at my 5'2". In shoes.

Fuzzy - mine was on a counter in the (small) pantry for many years, former house, tiny kitchen. That worked for me too.

sowkmom agradeció a morz8 - Washington Coast
  • Kim Santagata
    hace 5 años

Put ours in the pantry, but was considering a drawer one. My sister in law loves hers. We don't use it often enough to commit to major space for one.

sowkmom agradeció a Kim Santagata
  • Buehl
    hace 5 años

"...it killed my back bending over to see the controls..."

That's surprising since, with ours, we don't have to bend over to see the controls, just look down. We're a tall family (ranging from 5'10" to 6'7") and have no problems at all using the drawer.

I think the new ones have an even better angle than ours.

Regarding price: It costs the same as a built-in MW when you factor in the need for a trim kit for built-ins. However, it is more expensive than a counter-top model.

For a counter-top model, I think the ideal height is b/w your waist and the top of your chest. (I don't have my NKBA guidelines book handy to check.)

sowkmom agradeció a Buehl
  • chicagoans
    hace 5 años

I really like my drawer MW and being able to access it from above. I would not want any kind of MW that is at face level -- what if something hot sloshes, like taking out a bowl of soup? I wouldn't let my folks get an upper cabinet microwave for that reason (unsteady hands.) And if you have kids who might have to stretch a bit to access the MW, they could get a face full of hot whatever.

Like Buehl, my family is tall (5'11" to 6'6") and we all like the drawer MW.

sowkmom agradeció a chicagoans
  • Vith
    hace 5 años

I lothe the under cabinet trend. 1. Not childproof... 2. Who wants to bend over to use the microwave.

I dont like over the range microwaves either. Shorter people dont like upper cabinet microwaves. Considering lifting a bowl of hot soup out of it.

Best option is countertop height with some built in shelving around it.

sowkmom agradeció a Vith
  • suseyb
    hace 5 años

This is how we placed the microwave in our former home. I found that reaching down wasn't awesome, though it ended up being very easy for my small children to reach. In our new home, I like it much better on the counter.

sowkmom agradeció a suseyb
  • PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    hace 5 años

Depends on how much you use it... if it is an important component while you are cooking or prepping then see what you layout can handle and place accordingly.... if you hardly use it then don't make such a dedicated , cut-to-size space - put it in a pantry or try to get rid of it completely

Good luck!

sowkmom agradeció a Debbi Washburn
  • crcollins1_gw
    hace 5 años

Exactly what skmom said. On a shelf under the counter. We don't use it daily, and when we do, I just hit the "30 second" button for as many times as I need to for the desired result.

sowkmom agradeció a crcollins1_gw
  • sowkmom
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Thanks for all the input!

• Kim Santagata
    hace 5 años

I also think it depends on your style of house. We have a primitive house and try to hide as many appliances as we can, so for us the pantry was better than in plain site.

Old New England · Más información

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.