Houzz Logo Print
teja_menneni

minimum height for false ceiling?

teja menneni
hace 5 años
what is the recommended height required when we want to opt for false ceiling?

my 3 bhk apartment is in first floor with ample ventilation and height is around 9 ft and I like spacious and minimalistic spaces.

what are the pros and cons with false ceiling? how much does it will cost for 1400 sft 3bhk? is it only for aesthetics purpose or any functional advantage? how much overhead interms of maintenance?

any alternatives for false ceiling to get good lighting and rich look?

Comentarios (14)

• Gautam Mukhopadhaya
    hace 5 años

Try an unorthodox and inexpensive solution as I am doing: simple thin bamboo spaced 1" apart. Very versatile to use, and allows spaces for lighting, fan, wiring etc. In may case, I am using it with a glass roof to allow in the light through the bamboo strips.

• teja menneni
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    @gmukhopadyaya

Thank for your comment. Can you share any reference to understand more about your suggestion.
  • PRO
    Aurum Ideas+Spaces
    hace 5 años

Hello there,

The ceiling height of 9' is appropriate enough to incorporate false ceiling. As told earlier, the difference/drop would be around 6"-8" .

There are many advantages of installing a false ceiling e.g. air gap for heat insulation, hiding conduits and wiring, appropriate and uniform room illumination, reduced cooling costs, clean and minimalist look etc.

However, certain disadvantages concerning to fire safety, insect breeding and delayed water leakage detection couldn't be ignored either. Having said that, a properly installed ceiling will last atleast 7-10 years with minute maintenance.

There are several alternatives to false ceilings. Trending are :

Wooden slats/ louvers

Bamboo slats/ louvers

Laminated plywood/WPC slats

Aluminum louvers

Mangalore ceiling tiles

Terracotta tiles

OSB ceiling panels

Costing : Gypsum (Saint gobain or equivalent)- 85-200 / sqft as per designs

Maintenance overhead : 2-5% of material cost annually.

I would suggest laminated WPC slats for a rich contemporary look with appropriate illumination .

• PRO
  • Gautam Mukhopadhaya
    hace 5 años

@teja menenni: I have no published reference for my suggestion, just an idea that I have tested in one glass covered balcony in my house in the photos below. Spacing can be adjusted as desired.

• PRO
    Civiconcepts
    hace 4 años

Therefore from the above fact, we can conclude that the minimum ceiling height should at least 9 ft. 6 inches for any habitable room in residential building.

https://bit.ly/2uu7aWK

• PRO
    Hardik. K. Parmar.
    hace 4 años

Since you only have 9' ht for your 3bhk apt, I would recommend you to take only 3" ceiling ht that will be enough to hide all electrical wires and fix conceal spotlights and if you want an interesting play with design you can go upto 6" in certain places.

Let your space breathe with more height.

For a 1400 sqft house a rough estimated cost for gypsum false ceiling work can be around 80-90k.

Pros of a gypsum false ceiling are that it hides all your wiring, concealing spotlights, and a false ceiling plays a major role in giving your house a designer look. And for maintenance it just needs regular dusting that we carry out weekly or monthly in our house.

• PRO
    WDF space design, Interior Design Business
    hace 4 años
    1. what is the recommended height required when we want to opt for false ceiling?

Answer : ( 8'-6" below false ceiling...)

2) what are the pros and cons with false ceiling?

Answer : Advantage is...

1) If ur staying below terrace flat, False ceiling will to reduce heat.

2) To hide electrical wiring conduit pipes which will hide inside the false ceiling.

3) to hide any electronic devices inside the false ceiling, by using trap door, to service the wiffi, telephone, router, etc.

3) how much does it will cost for 1400 sft 3bhk?

Answer : ( 2 Option )

1 Option ) 1400 is not totally will be used for false ceiling, i hope except balcony, bathrooms, etc here it is not necessary, so asume only 1100 Sq.ft Carpet Area = 99000/- Flat ceiling.

2 Option ) Additional design ( Up / Down - level difference for Cove Lights ) Asume 35000/-

Total Cost = 1,34,000=00

4) is it only for aesthetics purpose or any functional advantage?

Answer : Both as Explained Above.

5) how much overhead interms of maintenance?

Answer : No Maintenance Cost, If not damaged by water.

6) any alternatives for false ceiling to get good lighting and rich look?

Reflected Cove Light which is mentioned in Sr.No. 3 ( option 2 ) Additional Cost

• Senthil Kumar
    hace 2 años

Hi all my ceiling is only 8.5 feet height. can i go for 6 in drop false ceiling? just for uniform illumination of lights. or is it possible to do jus 4 in drop down?.

• PRO
    Shades By Shweta
    hace 2 años

hi

you can come doun by min 3" and use panel lights

• Senthil Kumar
    hace 2 años

Oh ..is that possible to do 3" drop down..? will check with my interior.

• PRO
    Cornerstone Design Studio India
    hace 2 años

Senthil, 3 inches is feasible but as the ceiling is not levelled at all places it may be a bit tight to do 3 inch drop. Please check with a site contractor.

BTW Which builder/place gives 8.5 as ceiling height- just for understanding

Thanks,
    Nitin
    CORNERSTONE DESIGNS, Bangalore

• Senthil Kumar
    hace 2 años
    Última modificación: hace 2 años

Thank you. will check this point. Builder name is Casagrand, Chennai

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.