Houzz Logo Print
nadiya_naeem

Blending different styles and colours for rooms.

Nadiya Naeem
hace 5 años
Hi all. Can we blend random styles for house interior without a mixed up feeling? For eg, I prefer some styles of ecletic for living, British colonial style for bedroom, etc each rooms in different colour combinations.
I chose some false ceilings in different styles and colours and heights for my new house (like shiplap, textured,wallpaper ceilings) but I have no idea how to relate each rooms. Please help me how to relate them.

Comentarios (8)

• PRO
    Atom Interiors . Smart Interiors.
    hace 5 años

Hi Nadiya,

It may look funny, but its your home and you should be able to do it., A good designer will be able to help make the transition less obvious. eg. the lamp in you british colonial style room should only slightly look old.. the style can be old but not to obvious. The key is to avoid stark difference.

When each room and its style is done, it should only be slightly styled to that design style so that the transition is smooth... like don't make the bedroom too british colonial, dont make the living room too eclectic etc.

I can't help anymore than give that tip because it lies in the execution & how you choose the things. So only your designer can do that part, right?

• PRO
    RnD Atelier
    hace 5 años

Hi Nadia,

Using different design styles for interiors has two consequences -

1] You may end up with a poor patchwork reminiscent of a interior design showroom.

2] You may end up with a perfect blend of eclecticism.

Avoid giving each room a different look as this will not only break the continuity of the space but will be visually overwhelming. Instead try to blend. This way you will maintain a visual connectivity of different spaces and the entire home would look balanced and cohesive even on being eclectic. You may achieve this by using the following tips:

1] Use a colour palette that suits the theme. You may use neutrals all the way and splash a bit of colour in on a wall or two just to highlight. These walls may be the ones in your foyer or passage or balcony or simply behind the sofa or TV unit etc. Remember that the colour is being used as a highlighter so place it judiciously.

2] Each design style comes with a set structure and rules hence, use an interpretation of design styles and not the styles as they are. This will allow you to make decisions flexibly as there will be lesser restraint.

3] Have a clear control on the aesthetic. Minimize, dont overdo, else the space will look like a museum and not a home.

4] Make judicious use of furniture. Use colonial designs for all your loose furniture like chairs, end tables etc. Keep your beds and sofas clean and contemporary. Add eclectic cushions.

5] Use furnishings wisely - american pleat curtains in pastel hues, damask/textured wallpapers, natural fabrics like linen, silk etc for upholstery. Add a bit of greenery in the form of plants.

6] Use natural stones for flooring (rustic tiles would also do) with motif tiles to highlight spaces like the kitchen, bathroom wall or foyer floor.

For further reference, here is an excellent example to suit your taste -

https://www.houzz.in/magazine/mumbai-houzz-this-compact-2-bhk-flat-is-a-lesson-in-mix-and-match-stsetivw-vs~108222821

Hopefully, these tips will guide and help you.

Regards,

RnD Atelier

Nagpur

• Nadiya Naeem
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    thank you all :)
  • Nadiya Naeem
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    it really helped me. :)
  • Nadiya Naeem
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Pls help me in choosing the right floor tiles also.
    I would like to do flooring with wooden tiles and cement tiles but I have no idea where to use what. Like wooden can be used anywhere n cement tiles to highlight some areas.
    Pls check both these types on below links n pls make a suggestion to use what and where.
    Thanks a lot.

Check out this photo from Houzz - https://ml.houzz.com/GXwdIlaoPQ

Check out this photo from Houzz - https://ml.houzz.com/5NaaKLcnPQ
  • PRO
    RnD Atelier
    hace 5 años

Hi Nadiya,

First let us look at cement tiles -

Bharat Floorings, Mumbai manufactures these very attractive cement tiles, mostly in sizes of 8" x 8" and 4"x 8" for borders. The have their own charm and can elevate any floor space. You can use them for the entire floor of say your drawing room, dining area or living room etc. or you can use them to highlight your foyer, lobby, passage or balcony. They never go unappreciated. A good workmanship and polish do the trick.

Now coming to wooden flooring -

If you are talking about the laminated interlocking wooden flooring, it requires a finished floor (either tiled or cemented) for application. The individual units are easy to lay and dismantle. They come in a variety of shades and finishes. They are water resistant and fire proof.

Nitco also manufactures ceramic tiles that have been designed to look like wooden flooring. These however need excellent workmanship to give you the required effect.

You can use any of the above in your bedrooms, study, home theatre, gym etc.

All the best!

Regards,

RnD Atelier

Nagpur

• PRO
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.