Houzz Logo Print
hannah_a_40

How to spruce up bare walls in this TINY rental bedroom?

Heather A.
hace 5 años
última modificación:hace 5 años

Just moved into a sublet and a) it's tiny and b) the walls are so white and so bare. I can't really hang anything other than with command hooks. I wanted to keep it light and airy because of it's size, but there's too much white space. under the three pictures I was thinking of adding some small shelves with decoration, and next to the cloeset narrow bookshelf with different colored books.

Comentarios (15)

• jmm1837
    hace 5 años
    A colorful quilt cover and some pillows would be a good place to start. Yes to the bookcase (I have a skinny IKEA Besta bookcase in a spare bedroom) but I wouldn't do shelves, myself. More small stuff will make the room look cluttered, not big.
  • Heather A.
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Laura: thanks! I like the idea of white/ nuetral bedding. would a grey comforter work? Also good idea to replace the gallery wall idea with a big piece of art.

• PRO
    Grand Finale Design
    hace 5 años

A bookshelf with colorful accessories, colorful bedding and colorful art. Add a floor lamp or small lamps to the bookshelf for added light. You could also use command hooks, add a light weight curtain rod and colorful sheers to the window. Be sure they drape to the side of each window as your light is valuable!

• summersrhythm_z6a
    hace 5 años

You could use a floor mirror on that bare wall. TJMaxx Home Store has floor sized mirror for $50-120.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 5 años

No command hooks are going to hold any books and this is also a duplicate post.

• jmm1837
    hace 5 años

I wouldn't use a floor mirror in a tiny bedroom - I'd trip over it for sure!

• User
    hace 5 años

I wonder why the OP wants to decorate the inside of a tiny rental bedroom. I rented a room when I was in college. I slept in the rental bedroom, studied at the library, and ate at local places.

Heather, explore your world, do not spruce up your cave

• summersrhythm_z6a
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

A girl needs a big mirror. Don't you guys get it? :-) Fashion lives in any size apartments, a mirror is a must, a big one is really needed, so she could see the whole outfit from head to toe. Guys just don't get it......lol

• jmm1837
    hace 5 años
    Ermm, I'm a girl. And while I like mirrors hanging on walls, I regard them as disasters waiting to happen when leaning on them :)
  • klyons11
    hace 5 años
    Be cautious with Command products. My daughter had three shelves in her college apartment bedroom and they fell off the wall, taking paint chips with them. The items on the shelves were not heavy either. We also had lightweight framed travel posters in our finished basement hung with Command strips and they fell off, one by one.
  • suezbell
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

There are mirrors about 18" x4' intended to be attached to a bedroom or bathroom door -- by the window it could reflect that natural light.

Would add white vinyl miniblinds to the window to visually minimize the limited nature of the "view".

Consider adding stained glass decorations to the window itself, collecting a few smaller items you particularly like -- I've found a few relatively inexpensive Tiffany style ones at antique&more stores and thrift stores.

https://www.delphiglass.com/pre-cut-kits/home-decor-votive-kits/pre-cut-birds-trio-kit

that can be attached to the window with suction cups.

https://www.etsy.com/se-en/listing/268266558/stained-glass-suction-cups-10-with-metal

Add at least a curtain if not a door to what appears to be an open closet opposite the door by the window.

Add tall, shallow cabinet with doors as wide as will fit in the indent to the left of what appears to be an open closet.

[https://www.houzz.com/products/storage-cabinet-prvw-vr~100627544?m_refid=PLA_HZ_100627544_954742044[(https://www.houzz.com/products/storage-cabinet-prvw-vr~100627544?m_refid=PLA_HZ_100627544_954742044&device=c&nw=g&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-YCYooPG3QIVCcDICh0a-wdCEAQYASABEgLrk_D_BwE)

See if you can find a bookcase headboard or lights that either clip to whatever headboard you have or hang on the wall rather than take up space with bedside tables.

Choose bedding with a light background and at least a couple of your favorite pastal colors, with pillow shams to match. Lighter colored bedding will visually make the room seem larger than darker colors.

Do iron the bag with the cherries.

If you don't use the bag with the cherries as a bag, you might cut out and frame the one side of it with the cherries. If you use the bag as a bag, invest in a hook to hang it at a convenient location -- perhaps a magnetic hook attached to the refrigerator. Alternately, since December is approaching, you might find a hook intended to hold a holiday stocking on a mantel that would let you hang the bag from a windowsill with it -- something that could be used year round ... perhaps only a heavy metal star.

• Heather A.
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

thanks all! you're right, I don't want to spend a ton of energy decorating the bedroom, I might look for some nice big pieces of art and maybe a cheap bookshelf. I just don't want to feel like I'm living in a mental institution with the white walls! my living room/kitchen are both gorgeous so I spend most of my time there

• summersrhythm_z6a
    hace 5 años

You could diy. I am going to try this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wpvUXq--ss

• jpp221
    hace 5 años
    Avoid collections of itty bitty things (like tiny artwork). It just makes the room seem smaller and messier. A big piece of artwork, a nice rug and a nice bedspread and you’re done.
Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.