Houzz Logo Print
karen_huxtable

Wood Floors or LVT?

Karen Huxtable
hace 5 años
We live in a fairly traditional home built in 1968. we are planning to replace all the carpeting on the main level with hard surface flooring. There is beautiful black slate flooring in the central foyer.

The question is...should we install solid hardwood, engineered hardwood or one of the newer LVT (Luxury Vinyl Tile) floors that look like wood?

What is the perceived value of LVT floors in living rooms when considering resale value of the home?
Solid wood flooring
Engineered wood flooring
LVT Luxury Vinyl Tile wood-look flooring

Comentarios (10)

• Elin
    hace 5 años
    following
  • thinkdesignlive
    hace 5 años
    Assuming you CAN do solid hardwood that will always be the better choice from a resale perspective (buyers liking the option to be able to refinish to their taste - not necessarily meaning you will get more money though)....I actually think LVT will hurt from a resale perspective down the road (perceived as cheap and dated - that’s my prediction but I may be wrong). A good quality engineered wood can actually cost MORE than solid so you have to weigh all your pros and cons.
  • Helen
    hace 5 años

I think absent unusual circumstances some form of wood is always going to be more desirable than vinyl flooring. And I also think that it adds value to the home. I never read a real estate listing exclaiming that there is fake wood vinyl tile whereas homes with wood (whether engineered or not) will always state that as a positive sale point.

And aesthetically - at least to me - there is no comparison.

In terms of engineered versus sold wood, there are factors determining which you want and there are also factory finished sold hardwood for those who don't want to deal with staining and finishing on site - in my experience refinishing floors after one has moved in is a MAJOR hassle - others might feel differently. A high quality engineered wood floor is going to have a long useful life - at least to the extent that it is probably not a factor for most home owners. With a decent wear layer it can be refinished on site once or twice and having a really strong finish will delay the need for refinishing.

• Suki Mom
    hace 5 años

If your kitchen/dining/living are open concept I would do Coretec Pro Plus because of the water resistance. Also, if you have pets!

• Toronto Veterinarian
    hace 5 años

Better engineered hardwood or real hardwood over LVT. I'd even take wood-look porcelain tile over LVT. Which one you choose, though, depends on what kind of wear it will get, what kind of care you're willing to put into it, what your budget is, etc. Personally, I kind of like the wood-look porcelain tiles, but of course the texture and feel is different.

• PRO
    Signature Home Services
    hace 5 años

Most people can't tell the difference between a real wood floor and an engineered. Engineered in the long run - if you buy quality - has a finish that you can NOT get finished on site. As well, if you install nail down wood, that means everything has to raise to install the plywood...unless you have a pier and beam foundation and the plywood is your subfloor.

• Brittany Martin Krauth
    hace 5 años

Following.. same delimma. Except We have young kids and dog.

• PRO
    Oak & Broad
    hace 5 años

High quality American made Engineered floors can be both finished and refinished on site. It will have a nice thick wear layer and looks like a Solid Plank floor once installed. Here is a helpful blog post about how to pick a good quality Engineered wood floor. LVT is going to be a big turn off for some buyers. Especially if they have had really wood floors in the past. Solid wood flooring may not work for all installation or for all parts of the country.

• Kathy
    hace 5 años

Just went through similar dilemma. For your upstairs living room go with either wood if you can. Just bought a condo where lower level had wall to wall carpet I cannot live with. There is a family room and two bedrooms down there so we will be there a lot...it opens to the outside and windows so it isn't basement-like at all. Because it is in a very cold climate (Wisconsin) and the floor under the carpet is concrete we were concerned about moisture. It is very dry in this space but concrete subfloor was the issue... Wood seemed a bad choice for this space. I would have done ceramic or porcelain tile in a warmer climate. Coretec Pro Plus is what we went with, looks great. I will have carpets, furniture, etc. Not the vinyl we knew in the 70s for sure. There are many variables to consider when choosing flooring. In this case LPV was a perfect choice, seems to be extremely popular.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.