Houzz Logo Print
webuser_71660

help with tiling in the bathroom pretty please

Tani H-S
hace 5 años

Can't seem to find my old en-suite post but I'm at the point where I can't find the exact tiles I wanted or the walnut vanity that's narrow enough for the wall it has to go on. So frustrated, I thought I would ask advice on the tiles because I might have to change my plans for it.

Really, I wanted a dark grey marble and adding in some warm wood in the form of a vanity shelf/drawer but it can't be any deeper than 400mm if it's 600wide or 350 if it's a bit longer otherwise it will obstruct the entrance.

I've found some alternative tiles that are ok - not what I wanted but nice enough, but they are much lighter mid grey. I had planned on using them on the floor and within the shower cubicle and then only tiling above the sink area. (see the single tile sample attached)

However, we have a wall hung wc and I've been told I have to now tile that - so I'm not sure if I should use the same tiles or go for a plain darker grey on the WC wall and around the lower sink walls instead?? There is loads of light in the room so not worried about it being too dark as I like some drama. The top of the walls will be white anyway to match the shower tray and wc.

What do you guys think? I still have so many things I need to buy for the room that the plumber needs to finish off and I thought I had a lot longer time to sort them out so I'm a bit stressed by it all.

The nice images of the finished bathrooms are Houzz photos and the sort of look I like.

The pic with the all grey marble bathroom is the tile I'm planning on using for the floor/shower. Looks a bit darker than their image which is wishy washy.

Open to suggestions after that! ie Wood effect tiles on the wc walls and sink wall and get a grey or white vanity instead? that would add some warmth. Or ...

Have included the layout of our room except the door is in the centre now and it's a straight wall, not angled!

Highbury House · Más información

The Lux Retreat · Más información

Comentarios (33)

• Tani H-S
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Oo I love that one. Thanks! Will check our their website!

Yes I spent all day today trailing around the tile shops and only found one other dark grey marble matt tile but they are special order and minimum quantity.

The tile I was going to use when I looked at it again tonight, seemed really pale and not what I wanted.
  • Tani H-S
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Pa don’t suppose you have the tile name or link do you??
  • minnie101
    hace 5 años

Tani, also have a look at the ensuite on here which details where the tiles are from

https://www.houzz.co.uk/magazine/houzz-tour-a-victorian-house-thats-a-perfect-mix-of-old-and-new-stsetivw-vs~112294864

I looked previously for dark grey marble in terms of your other inspiration pic and found they were all very brown with a few green :(

• minnie101
    hace 5 años

Really struggling to find a walnut unit (looked when you first posted too) but here's a shelf made to measure. Could you fit in storage elsewhere as you can get those tall, shallow cupboards?

https://www.bespokenature.co.uk/floating-basin-counter-tops

• minnie101
    hace 5 años

This type of thing

• Tani H-S
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Morning!

I looked at his shelves @Minnie but it’s coming up at £220 for a small one

I’m still liaising with a guy on eBay re his natural waved wood pieces to try and find something suitable.

I either have to go for a small unit ie 600mm wide that is only 400 deep max or a wider slimmer one. - ideally no more than 300/350 deep because otherwise you will walk into it when going through the door

Bauhaus American walnut is the exact colour I want but they don’t do custom shelves or worktops otherwise I would have got a white unit and stuck a shelf on it

A lot of the darker marble tiles (like the chevron ones in the above links) are classed as black so I would need to get a sample and see if it’s more of a charcoal colour as black would be too harsh I think in the small room

Dark grey doesn’t seem to be in at the moment. Lots of pale colours or black. Might be clogging a dead horse, ha ha.

- re the tall storage - no space unfortunately. I have got under the eaves though so was going to get a bench with storage underneath as can sit on it

Oh and the marble tile I originally found was called black, looked dark grey on their website but has a brown tinge to it in some lights!
  • Tani H-S
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Yes I did see that one @Carolina but it’s a bit too dark and rustic. Thank you though!
  • Tani H-S
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    One thing I had though if is having a real wood sink on top of a white unit BUT the sink I’ve found which is super cheap (£35) only comes in one size ie 40-45cm so I’m guessing I would need a much deeper worktop for it to sit on? Or can it overhang the front?
  • Anthony (Beano)
    hace 5 años
    I feel your pain on a small unit! I looked and looked but although available I just didn’t like the look of them, sort of stumpy summed it up for me, as I’ve sad, 10cm bit of raw walnut and get a bracket made for it and your sorted!

A tease to remind you! Lol
  • Anthony (Beano)
    hace 5 años
    And a pic with the bottle trap underneath
  • Tani H-S
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    @Beano I’m emailing a guy who has the shelves trying to get one deep enough in the middle so fingers crossed.

Only issue is finding a bowl that’s wider than it is deep so I’m going to look for one of those today as well
  • Anthony (Beano)
    hace 5 años
    Sorry, should have said, my Sind overhangs and it honestly doesn’t look strange in any way, most actually commented on how well it works that way due to space.
  • Tani H-S
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Oh that’s good to know! I’ve been struggling to find one to fit a narrower shelf.

That looks like the sink I’ve just bookmarked from this company - it’s only 33.5cm deep
  • Tani H-S
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    @Beano - how deep is your wood piece and how deep is your sink?
  • Tani H-S
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Hi guys,
    Well the en suite is taking a while to finish - won’t bore you with the details BUT I do have to start making decisions on tiles and I’m no further :0(

Ordered one in from mandarin stone (full tile!) which is a subtle version of the original tile I was after (veined) but husband said tonight that it looked brown (especially next to a slate sample I had!!) should have guessed by the name ‘sepia grey’ ha ha.

Been to so many shops but barely anything in a slate tone of grey that’s not pale.

I found a tile that looks stepped and marble effect but can’t put that on the floor.

Will post pics tomorrow of where I’m up to so hopefully someone can help me
  • Tani H-S
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Sorry - posted last night as was on my phone and took me ages to find this thread. haha.

So far, I've found a soft walnut wood effect tile which we can use in the bathroom - originally going to be used on the toilet wall (as concealed WC) and also the sink shelf.

My issue was trying to get a darker tile for the floor to hide the black dog hairs we are always covered in and then run that up the shower tray (as it's a stepped one) and up the shower wall. So you woudn't notice the step and it would feel sleek.

Problem is all the dark grey marble effect tiles I've found are either special order in from Italy (and no samples to see what they are like in advance or min quantity req'd) or gloss (not good for the floor) OR they all show as a brown tone (2 tiles I thought were perfect look brown in some parts of the bathroom!) argh.

I found some great stepped ones that are the right colour but they can only go on the shower wall as a feature and not the floor.

I just really need help working out what tiles to put where and if having 3 different tiles is too much? ie a feature wall tile with different surrounding tiles then the wood effect tile ?? I've had two months to sort this out and still no further HELP. LOL

• Anthony (Beano)
    hace 5 años
    So sorry I missed this :-( I’ll check when I get home for you, looks very similar and the dimension does sound familiar! Soz
  • Tani H-S
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

That's ok now re the sink unit as my joiner is just building me a narrow long shelf as I couldn't get a natural piece of wood in the right size. I'm at just under 300mm depth so it was very specific!

• Anthony (Beano)
    hace 5 años
    Sorry about that :-( what type sink did you get in the end?
  • Tani H-S
    Autor original
    hace 5 años

Just a freestanding white one that will sit on top of the shelf - comes over it but shouldn't matter. Wall mounted tap as well. Just struggling with the tiles now. lol

• Tani H-S
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    These are the tile samples I have so far.

On the left - small top dark grey, under that is a tile with faux stepped marble effect tiles that are more slate toned. Large tile to the right is the mandarin stone one (v expensive, lol)
    The walnut in the middle I love the pattern but it’s not as rich a colour as I wanted and I can’t find anything else online in an American walnut style tile.
    The bottom tile is a v v pale grey with similar pattern to the mandarin stone one.

How would you work these tiles together? Walnut floor and sink unit and dark grey all over the walls? Just the patterned grey on the back of the shower wall and sink area and plain grey on other walls?? :0/
  • Tani H-S
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Oops. Forgot to add the photos!
  • Anthony (Beano)
    hace 5 años
    Hope this is pick a tile! I like the walnut and the Matt look marble to the rhs of it, sorry but not as keen on the others :-(
  • Tani H-S
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Ha ha. Yes I like those two together. The most expensive of course (rolls eyes!)
  • Anthony (Beano)
    hace 5 años
    Wouldn’t worry me in the least having these on all the walls inc in the shower area and something different just for the shower tray if you wanted it to stand out! You have sky lighting and you can put some good lighting in if your afraid of it being too dark, just R.E.M. the all black bathroom featured on here a while back! It looked great!
  • Tani H-S
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    The tray is now white as couldn’t get the right tone of grey to match the tiles. Got a white wc and white sink so it’s ok.

Would you just do ..

1) all the 3 shower walls, floor and sink wall half tiles in the grey marble then the sink unit and back of wc in the wood?

OR

2) wood floor and sink and grey WC/shower/sink wall - again half tiles to save money. Lol.

The wall under the window I might paint white otherwise that will be another £150 to tile (argh)
  • Anthony (Beano)
    hace 5 años
    If it were me, probably the three shower walls floor to ceiling in the grey tile I like an continuous along the wall with the basin at full height to it hits the door, you might get away with the wall opposite the toilet in them too or you could just paint the remaining walls white, I’m a big white fan and you nothing to loose as it can be painted again if your definitely not for tiling it! Can see a nice round mirror above that sink as well? The walnut tile on the floor all over running along the longest length. Hope this makes sense.
  • Anthony (Beano)
    hace 5 años
    On thinking about it again, If you can stretch it, id possibly do the toilet wall and the one opposite full height in the tiles and paint the one remaining wall white! Sounds stupid but like a white feature wall, I think that’s the wall with the windows? The tiles would really set the toilet off and the opposite wall with just make it feel more uniform, again just my thoughts, go with what YOU like as it’s your house :-) lastly don’t make do, if you can, wait, save and get what your heart tells you you want, tiles don’t come off too easy and you’ll be looking at it for a few years I’m guessing.
  • kikiamack
    hace 5 años
    Not sure if you’ll welcome another choice but I wondered if you have seen OriginalStyle Tiles Tileworks brochure. There’s a lot of tiles similar to what you are looking at, including greys and woods. Not sure of price comparison, unfortunately. We used some from this brand in our kitchen and I don’t recall them being really expensive. Quality is good. Anyway, the brochure is pretty good and might help you make a decision on how the different combinations of tiles will work together.
    https://www.originalstyle.com/brochures/tileworks/
  • PRO
    User
    hace 5 años

Sound like this is going to be one dream bathroom :) Our only concern is using those grey marble tile for the floor/shower. Because of their smooth surface they are likely to be very slippery, so we would not recommend it. Try to go with either large format stone-effect slate tiles or smaller tiles in matt finish (more grouting means less slippery).

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.